Stair problem - Gap between tread and riser

Old October 1st 07, 07:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stair problem - Gap between tread and riser

Hi there

I am replacing the carpet on the stairs of my victorian terraced house with
a runner. This will leave a margin of about 6 inches on either side where
the 'naked' steps are visible.

Unfortunately on three of the steps, the riser has slipped down from thne
tread about half an inch on the right hand side. I'm not sure how to go
about filling the gap. Ideally I'd like to insert a wedge of wood but it
would have to be very long and thin so instead I was toying with the idea of
just filling the gap with flexible polyfilla and inserting one screw to
provide some stability.

What do you think? Is there any other way to tackle this?

Stephen

Old October 1st 07, 09:46 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:
Hi there

I am replacing the carpet on the stairs of my victorian terraced house
with a runner. This will leave a margin of about 6 inches on either side
where the 'naked' steps are visible.

Unfortunately on three of the steps, the riser has slipped down from
thne tread about half an inch on the right hand side. I'm not sure how
to go about filling the gap. Ideally I'd like to insert a wedge of wood
but it would have to be very long and thin so instead I was toying with
the idea of just filling the gap with flexible polyfilla and inserting
one screw to provide some stability.

What do you think? Is there any other way to tackle this?

Stephen

Have you tried going under the stairs to tap the offending risers back
into place and then secure them. I would also check to ensure none of
the tread or rise wedges have come loose which may account for the rises
slipping in the first place
Old October 1st 07, 10:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Unfortunately I can't get to under the stairs as the underneath has been
plastered long ago.

Should I think about removing this plaster? Its just in a cupboard so
removing it wouldnt cause a visible change.

Old October 1st 07, 11:26 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

It does seem an awful lot of movement, I think I'd expect it to make the
stairs squeaky if not flexy. I'd be inclined to explore and try and fix it
properly.

Old October 2nd 07, 12:45 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

STephen wrote:
Hi there

I am replacing the carpet on the stairs of my victorian terraced house
with a runner. This will leave a margin of about 6 inches on either side
where the 'naked' steps are visible.

Unfortunately on three of the steps, the riser has slipped down from
thne tread about half an inch on the right hand side. I'm not sure how
to go about filling the gap. Ideally I'd like to insert a wedge of wood
but it would have to be very long and thin so instead I was toying with
the idea of just filling the gap with flexible polyfilla and inserting
one screw to provide some stability.

What do you think? Is there any other way to tackle this?

How about temporarily screwing a block of wood to the riser in the
middle (where the carpet will ultimately hide the screw holes) and then
using the block to tap the riser back to where it ought to be?

Failing that, a bit of Scotia moulding under each nosing would hide the
gap.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old October 2nd 07, 07:16 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

The stairs dont squeak at all. They are fixed securely in the stringer and
the gap between tread and stair is only on the right hand side.

However there is a certain amount of flex in the board especially in the
middle.

I inserted a screw down from the tread into the riser hoping that it would
either pull up the riser or make things a bit more firm. It didnt pull up
the riser at all but seems to have provided some stability at the right hand
side.

I was going to see if I could have some wooden wedges made up to fill the
gap so that the board doesnt flex at all but I'm worried that all i'm doing
is providing a temporary fix and what I really need to do is fix it
properly, even if it means pulling down the plaster that covers the
underneath of the stairs.

I take it you think I should go for the permanent fix.

Old October 2nd 07, 07:21 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

A previous owner has actually drilled 2 inch holes into the middle of every
riser so I tried to insert the claw of the hammer into the hole to pull up
the riser but that didnt work.

I take it that it needs a fair amount of force to lift the riser. If i did
manage to lift the riser, i guess it would have to be held in place with a
screw or two.

As I mentioned in a previous post I'm leaning towards actually pulling doiwn
the plaster under the stairs so i can get direct access to the offending
steps.

Do you think that is the best idea?

Old October 2nd 07, 09:02 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

STephen wrote:

A previous owner has actually drilled 2 inch holes into the middle of
every riser so I tried to insert the claw of the hammer into the hole to
pull up the riser but that didnt work.

I take it that it needs a fair amount of force to lift the riser. If i
did manage to lift the riser, i guess it would have to be held in place
with a screw or two.

Yup, I would anticipate you would need to hit it reasonably hard to get
them to move.

As I mentioned in a previous post I'm leaning towards actually pulling
doiwn the plaster under the stairs so i can get direct access to the
offending steps.

Do you think that is the best idea?

It is. Stairs are usually built from the underside - so that is where
you really need to be to do a proper job.

If you look at how I built a set he

http://www.internode.co.uk/loft/stairs.htm

It should give you an idea of how they normally go together.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old October 2nd 07, 09:18 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi John

Thanks for the pictures. That has really helped me visualise how the stairs
fit together.

I see that that the recess in the stringer is actually shaped so that the
wedges can be inserted.

It looks to me like the vertical wedge is what holds the riser up. Is that
right?

Stephen

Old October 2nd 07, 09:48 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi again

A picture is worth a good few words so I've also created a little gallery of
pictures to show you what I mean.

http://www.gilkes.me.uk/stairs/content/index.html

Picture 1: The lowest step that has a gap.
Picture 2. Another pic of this step
Picture 3: Another pic of this step
Picture 4: The other 2 steps where I have filled the gap with flexible fill
polyfilla
Picture 5: The other 2 steps where I have filled the gap with flexible fill
polyfilla
Picture 6: The complete staircase
Picture 7: Under the stairs showing the plastered 'cover'
Picture 8 Under the stairs looking at the lowest steps (covered by vertical
coating of plaster)

Hopefully this might help.

Regards
Stephen