Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Stair problem - Gap between tread and riser

STephen wrote:
Hi there

I am replacing the carpet on the stairs of my victorian terraced house
with a runner. This will leave a margin of about 6 inches on either side
where the 'naked' steps are visible.

Unfortunately on three of the steps, the riser has slipped down from
thne tread about half an inch on the right hand side. I'm not sure how
to go about filling the gap. Ideally I'd like to insert a wedge of wood
but it would have to be very long and thin so instead I was toying with
the idea of just filling the gap with flexible polyfilla and inserting
one screw to provide some stability.

What do you think? Is there any other way to tackle this?

How about temporarily screwing a block of wood to the riser in the
middle (where the carpet will ultimately hide the screw holes) and then
using the block to tap the riser back to where it ought to be?

Failing that, a bit of Scotia moulding under each nosing would hide the
gap.

--
Cheers,

John.