Posted to uk.d-i-y
STephen STephen is offline

Default Stair problem - Gap between tread and riser

A previous owner has actually drilled 2 inch holes into the middle of every
riser so I tried to insert the claw of the hammer into the hole to pull up
the riser but that didnt work.

I take it that it needs a fair amount of force to lift the riser. If i did
manage to lift the riser, i guess it would have to be held in place with a
screw or two.

As I mentioned in a previous post I'm leaning towards actually pulling doiwn
the plaster under the stairs so i can get direct access to the offending
steps.

Do you think that is the best idea?

"John Rumm" wrote in message
STephen wrote:
Hi there

I am replacing the carpet on the stairs of my victorian terraced house
with a runner. This will leave a margin of about 6 inches on either side
where the 'naked' steps are visible.

Unfortunately on three of the steps, the riser has slipped down from thne
tread about half an inch on the right hand side. I'm not sure how to go
about filling the gap. Ideally I'd like to insert a wedge of wood but it
would have to be very long and thin so instead I was toying with the idea
of just filling the gap with flexible polyfilla and inserting one screw
to provide some stability.

What do you think? Is there any other way to tackle this?

How about temporarily screwing a block of wood to the riser in the middle
(where the carpet will ultimately hide the screw holes) and then using the
block to tap the riser back to where it ought to be?

Failing that, a bit of Scotia moulding under each nosing would hide the
gap.

--
Cheers,

John.