Jim Warman

A lot depends on where the stairs are in the house and your usual footwear
in that area of the house.

Being Canadian (and as close to a red-neck as Canadians get). I wear
socks..... Brits, OTOH, wear slippers - usually some variation on rubber
compounds for soles...... watching TV, I see Yanks wear their grubby old
street shoes in the house.

Upsides... I change my socks every day and wind up polishing the things I
walk on. The Brits don't do much good for their floors, but at least their
socks last longer. Yanks.... well, if you're lucky, that dog turd will at
least fall off under the coffee table....

It's mostly a joke, fercrisesakes.... but I still stand by the footwear
part. Usage defines finish...

"Puff Griffis" wrote in message
Ok I did a DAGS and did not find the answer. What is the best finish to use
on stair treads ? My wife loves the look of oil but I am not sure that would
hold up. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Puff

JGS

Hi Puff,
I would consider the #285 on the following url and in Low Sheen which to some looks like an oil / wax finish. If you call or email Homestead they will share their opinion. Cheers, JG
http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/ht...hrfinishes.htm

Puff Griffis wrote:

Ok I did a DAGS and did not find the answer. What is the best finish to use on stair treads ? My wife loves the look of oil but I am not sure that would hold up. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Puff

Swingman

"Jim Warman" wrote in message

Being Canadian (and as close to a red-neck as Canadians get). I wear
socks..... Brits, OTOH, wear slippers - usually some variation on rubber
compounds for soles...... watching TV, I see Yanks wear their grubby old
street shoes in the house.

And being Canadian of couse, you believe everything you see on TV?

Upsides... I change my socks every day and wind up polishing the things I
walk on. The Brits don't do much good for their floors, but at least their
socks last longer. Yanks.... well, if you're lucky, that dog turd will at
least fall off under the coffee table....

Youd do better to change your underwear, that "dog turd" you're imagining
under the coffee table is obviously coming up your collar.

It's mostly a joke, fercrisesakes.... but I still stand by the footwear
part.

**** you, asshole.

.... hey, it's mostly a joke, fercrisesakes.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Swingman

"Puff Griffis" wrote in message
Ok I did a DAGS and did not find the answer.
What is the best finish to use on stair treads ?
My wife loves the look of oil but I am not sure that would hold up.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
Puff

Match the finish of your wood floors. Usually a polyurethane. Just don't wax
stair treads unless you're looking for a lawsuit.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

firstjois

Puff Griffis wrote:
Ok I did a DAGS and did not find the answer. What is the best finish
to use on stair treads ? My wife loves the look of oil but I am not
sure that would hold up. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Puff

Is there any kind of special finish for stairs that would keep them from
being too slippery? Newly finished polyurethan floors are slippery to
stocking feet and some kinds of slippers and shoes, stairs must be murder.

Josie

George

"firstjois" wrote in message
Puff Griffis wrote:
Ok I did a DAGS and did not find the answer. What is the best finish
to use on stair treads ? My wife loves the look of oil but I am not
sure that would hold up. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Puff

Is there any kind of special finish for stairs that would keep them from
being too slippery? Newly finished polyurethan floors are slippery to
stocking feet and some kinds of slippers and shoes, stairs must be murder.

Josie

We got my mother a couple sets of "aqua sock" type slip-ons to be used as
slippers. I notice that they're using something with similar embedded
rubber grip on the bottom of socks in nursing homes now, too.

I make the rounds annually to seniors groups to preach against throw rugs,
shiny stairs and slick bathtubs. I don't like picking up people off the
floors or out of tubs who are old enough that a broken hip is almost a death
sentence. I've even had two people whose fall on enamel painted basement
steps killed them when their head impacted a solid object. Too high a price
to pay for stylish stairs.

Swingman

"firstjois"wrote in message
Puff Griffis wrote:
Ok I did a DAGS and did not find the answer. What is the best finish
to use on stair treads ? My wife loves the look of oil but I am not
sure that would hold up. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Puff

Is there any kind of special finish for stairs that would keep them from
being too slippery? Newly finished polyurethan floors are slippery to
stocking feet and some kinds of slippers and shoes, stairs must be murder.

Polyurethane will eventually lose some of that slippery-to-stocking-feet
quality with use, but I wouldn't rely on it ... and be particularly wary of
the helpful household helper who thinks Endust, or something similar, is
just the thing for those stair treads.

If you really want a stair tread that matches your hardwood floor, and many
folks seem to want to that these days, non-slip footwear is highly
recommended, especially for older folks ... unless, of course, you're a
certain "redneck Canadian", who will hopefully continue to wear his socks.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

mp

Being Canadian (and as close to a red-neck as Canadians get). I wear
socks.....

Red-neck Canadian? Ha! This time of year it's more like blue-neck. Blue
lips. Blue ears. Blue fingers, blue arse, etc..

Hansen

I just finished replacing my stair tread with Curly Maple and for the finish
I went with Verathayne floor finish (oil based). It is not only better
resistant to water, it is self leveling and I didn't get the "brush" strokes
that occasionally appear. It is a little slick when dry (thats why I -being
a Yank- wear shoes, not socks in the house). The stairs came out nice and
the wife is pleased. They have stood up to a pit bull and a 110 pund German
Shepard and a 5 year old. Along those lines, they clean up very well.

The only down fall to the Verathayne is that you will have to refinish them
eventually.

EPI
nk.net...

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Jim Warman" wrote in message

[...]

Bob Schmall

"Puff Griffis" wrote in message
Thank you all for your responses. It looks like poly win's it's place on my
stairwell.
Puff

Caution--that post about slippery finishes is worth your consideration. My
wife and I have gone horizontal a couple of times on our oak treads, so we
asked on the rec. and found Skid Safe, a water-based finish from New
Dimensions (www.ndclean.com). It works--we can take the steps in our socks
now, like many Yanks. It comes only in a gloss finish, however, and will
show wear after a couple of years. And it's about $40 a quart.

Bob