Posted to uk.d-i-y
STephen STephen is offline

Default Stair problem - Gap between tread and riser

Hi again

A picture is worth a good few words so I've also created a little gallery of
pictures to show you what I mean.

http://www.gilkes.me.uk/stairs/content/index.html

Picture 1: The lowest step that has a gap.
Picture 2. Another pic of this step
Picture 3: Another pic of this step
Picture 4: The other 2 steps where I have filled the gap with flexible fill
polyfilla
Picture 5: The other 2 steps where I have filled the gap with flexible fill
polyfilla
Picture 6: The complete staircase
Picture 7: Under the stairs showing the plastered 'cover'
Picture 8 Under the stairs looking at the lowest steps (covered by vertical
coating of plaster)

Hopefully this might help.

Regards
Stephen

"John Rumm" wrote in message
STephen wrote:

A previous owner has actually drilled 2 inch holes into the middle of
every riser so I tried to insert the claw of the hammer into the hole to
pull up the riser but that didnt work.

I take it that it needs a fair amount of force to lift the riser. If i
did manage to lift the riser, i guess it would have to be held in place
with a screw or two.

Yup, I would anticipate you would need to hit it reasonably hard to get
them to move.

As I mentioned in a previous post I'm leaning towards actually pulling
doiwn the plaster under the stairs so i can get direct access to the
offending steps.

Do you think that is the best idea?

It is. Stairs are usually built from the underside - so that is where you
really need to be to do a proper job.

If you look at how I built a set he

http://www.internode.co.uk/loft/stairs.htm

It should give you an idea of how they normally go together.

--
Cheers,

John.