Posted to uk.d-i-y
STephen STephen is offline

Default Stair problem - Gap between tread and riser

This morning I removed the plaster and lath from under the stairs. Bit messy
but all done now.

And I was instantly able to tap the risers back into place.

I'm not sure whether to see if I can remove the wedges and coat with glue
before inserting back into place.

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 2 Oct, 19:58, "STephen" wrote:
Hi John

Thats it! Youve made up my mind that I have to rip down the old plaster
and
lathe to get at the underside of the stairs.

Do you forsee any problem with doing this?

I think these days the fire regs require plasterboard under the wooden
stairs. My last house had it, current 1930s house does not.
I'm sure no-one will miss it. People tramping up and down the stairs
may appear to make more noise without it. But to fix stairs properly
you have to get underneath. I need to fix my stairs soon ...
Simon.