Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

Default New toilet - what to bed onto?

A new toilet is to go on top of ceramic tiles. What do I put between them?

Silicone?

The previous one had mortar between it and the concrete floor.

TIA.

--
Frank
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:
A new toilet is to go on top of ceramic tiles. What do I put between
them?

Silicone?

The previous one had mortar between it and the concrete floor.

TIA.

Silicone will do nicley,as its only to form a barrier should you miss?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
F wrote:
A new toilet is to go on top of ceramic tiles. What do I put between
them?

Silicone?

The previous one had mortar between it and the concrete floor.

TIA.

Silicone will do nicley,as its only to form a barrier should you miss?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Ceramic pan on ceramic tiles, might "grind" a little, since the bottom
of the pan is rarely completely flat, so the bedding is not just a
protection against the poorly aiming man.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
"sm_jamieson" writes:

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
F wrote:
A new toilet is to go on top of ceramic tiles. What do I put between
them?

Silicone?

The previous one had mortar between it and the concrete floor.

Silicone will do nicley,as its only to form a barrier should you miss?

Ceramic pan on ceramic tiles, might "grind" a little, since the bottom
of the pan is rarely completely flat, so the bedding is not just a
protection against the poorly aiming man.

Saw a plumber doing a pan in the Gents at work.
He stood it on 4 or 5 tile spacers (2mm ones probably)
and then siliconed around the base, using enough silicone
that it would have gone right through the 2mm gap and
built up on the other side. I didn't see if he pulled
out the spacers afterwards or cut them off.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

On 20/07/2006 20:12 Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Saw a plumber doing a pan in the Gents at work.
He stood it on 4 or 5 tile spacers (2mm ones probably)
and then siliconed around the base, using enough silicone
that it would have gone right through the 2mm gap and
built up on the other side. I didn't see if he pulled
out the spacers afterwards or cut them off.

Looks like a good idea - and I'll be removing the spacers.

Thanks.

--
Frank

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
F wrote:
A new toilet is to go on top of ceramic tiles. What do I put between
them?

Silicone?

The previous one had mortar between it and the concrete floor.

TIA.

Silicone will do nicley,as its only to form a barrier should you miss?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Ceramic pan on ceramic tiles, might "grind" a little, since the bottom
of the pan is rarely completely flat, so the bedding is not just a
protection against the poorly aiming man.

Or very[1] poor aiming woman.

Mathew

[1] aka '**** poor' ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Saw a plumber doing a pan in the Gents at work.
He stood it on 4 or 5 tile spacers (2mm ones probably)
and then siliconed around the base, using enough silicone
that it would have gone right through the 2mm gap and
built up on the other side. I didn't see if he pulled
out the spacers afterwards or cut them off.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Worth bearing in mind - one point worth making is that the silicon is
enough that you don't need to screw the pan down as well.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:

Saw a plumber doing a pan in the Gents at work.
He stood it on 4 or 5 tile spacers (2mm ones probably)
and then siliconed around the base, using enough silicone
that it would have gone right through the 2mm gap and
built up on the other side. I didn't see if he pulled
out the spacers afterwards or cut them off.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Worth bearing in mind - one point worth making is that the silicon is
enough that you don't need to screw the pan down as well.

Rob

After reading the last few posts some weeks ago, that is exactly what I did.

Propped it up squirted silicone under it and more down the screw holes,
removed props and cleaned up excess..

Seems fine to me...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I am about to install a WC onto a smooth concrete floor so this
silicone method sounds good.
However ther seem to be loads of 'types' of silicone (builder's,
sanitary, high modulus, low modulus, general purpose, etc)
so which type do you recommend?

On 21 Jul 2006 02:30:30 -0700, "Mathew Newton"
wrote:

sm_jamieson wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
F wrote:
A new toilet is to go on top of ceramic tiles. What do I put between
them?

Silicone?

The previous one had mortar between it and the concrete floor.

TIA.

Silicone will do nicley,as its only to form a barrier should you miss?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Ceramic pan on ceramic tiles, might "grind" a little, since the bottom
of the pan is rarely completely flat, so the bedding is not just a
protection against the poorly aiming man.

Or very[1] poor aiming woman.

Mathew

[1] aka '**** poor' ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember F saying
something like:

A new toilet is to go on top of ceramic tiles. What do I put between them?

Silicone?

Or expanding foam.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:

Is that a sin?

Is WHAT a sin? You forgot to provide any trimmed context beofore your
comment. Oh yes and you left a ream of untrimmed irrelevance trailing in its
wake.

--
AJL

Toilet drain runs 15 feet... Bob Home Repair 21 March 1st 06 06:06 PM
Slow flushing toilet: Vent stack? TeGGeR® Home Repair 12 March 1st 06 02:00 AM
toilet back up nogggin Home Repair 12 February 11th 06 11:17 PM
wax free toilet seal - experiences? AAB Home Repair 18 March 3rd 04 01:05 AM
Run on toilet paper predicted Stormin Mormon Home Repair 12 October 30th 03 07:48 PM