DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   New toilet - what to bed onto? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/169804-new-toilet-what-bed-onto.html)

F July 20th 06 02:20 PM

New toilet - what to bed onto?

A new toilet is to go on top of ceramic tiles. What do I put between them?

Silicone?

The previous one had mortar between it and the concrete floor.

TIA.

--
Frank

The3rd Earl Of Derby July 20th 06 02:38 PM

New toilet - what to bed onto?

F wrote:
A new toilet is to go on top of ceramic tiles. What do I put between
them?

Silicone?

The previous one had mortar between it and the concrete floor.

TIA.

Silicone will do nicley,as its only to form a barrier should you miss?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

sm_jamieson July 20th 06 02:45 PM

New toilet - what to bed onto?

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
F wrote:
A new toilet is to go on top of ceramic tiles. What do I put between
them?

Silicone?

The previous one had mortar between it and the concrete floor.

TIA.

Silicone will do nicley,as its only to form a barrier should you miss?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Ceramic pan on ceramic tiles, might "grind" a little, since the bottom
of the pan is rarely completely flat, so the bedding is not just a
protection against the poorly aiming man.
Simon.

Andrew Gabriel July 20th 06 08:12 PM

New toilet - what to bed onto?

In article .com,
"sm_jamieson" writes:

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
F wrote:
A new toilet is to go on top of ceramic tiles. What do I put between
them?

Silicone?

The previous one had mortar between it and the concrete floor.

Silicone will do nicley,as its only to form a barrier should you miss?

Ceramic pan on ceramic tiles, might "grind" a little, since the bottom
of the pan is rarely completely flat, so the bedding is not just a
protection against the poorly aiming man.

Saw a plumber doing a pan in the Gents at work.
He stood it on 4 or 5 tile spacers (2mm ones probably)
and then siliconed around the base, using enough silicone
that it would have gone right through the 2mm gap and
built up on the other side. I didn't see if he pulled
out the spacers afterwards or cut them off.

--
Andrew Gabriel

F July 20th 06 11:38 PM

New toilet - what to bed onto?

On 20/07/2006 20:12 Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Saw a plumber doing a pan in the Gents at work.
He stood it on 4 or 5 tile spacers (2mm ones probably)
and then siliconed around the base, using enough silicone
that it would have gone right through the 2mm gap and
built up on the other side. I didn't see if he pulled
out the spacers afterwards or cut them off.

Looks like a good idea - and I'll be removing the spacers.

Thanks.

--
Frank

Mathew Newton July 21st 06 10:30 AM

New toilet - what to bed onto?

sm_jamieson wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
F wrote:
A new toilet is to go on top of ceramic tiles. What do I put between
them?

Silicone?

The previous one had mortar between it and the concrete floor.

TIA.

Silicone will do nicley,as its only to form a barrier should you miss?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Ceramic pan on ceramic tiles, might "grind" a little, since the bottom
of the pan is rarely completely flat, so the bedding is not just a
protection against the poorly aiming man.

Or very[1] poor aiming woman.

Mathew

[1] aka '**** poor' ;-)

robgraham July 21st 06 10:39 AM

New toilet - what to bed onto?

Saw a plumber doing a pan in the Gents at work.
He stood it on 4 or 5 tile spacers (2mm ones probably)
and then siliconed around the base, using enough silicone
that it would have gone right through the 2mm gap and
built up on the other side. I didn't see if he pulled
out the spacers afterwards or cut them off.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Worth bearing in mind - one point worth making is that the silicon is
enough that you don't need to screw the pan down as well.

Rob

The Natural Philosopher July 21st 06 11:12 AM

New toilet - what to bed onto?

robgraham wrote:

Saw a plumber doing a pan in the Gents at work.
He stood it on 4 or 5 tile spacers (2mm ones probably)
and then siliconed around the base, using enough silicone
that it would have gone right through the 2mm gap and
built up on the other side. I didn't see if he pulled
out the spacers afterwards or cut them off.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Worth bearing in mind - one point worth making is that the silicon is
enough that you don't need to screw the pan down as well.

Rob

After reading the last few posts some weeks ago, that is exactly what I did.

Propped it up squirted silicone under it and more down the screw holes,
removed props and cleaned up excess..

Seems fine to me...

[email protected] July 23rd 06 08:04 PM

New toilet - what to bed onto?

I am about to install a WC onto a smooth concrete floor so this
silicone method sounds good.
However ther seem to be loads of 'types' of silicone (builder's,
sanitary, high modulus, low modulus, general purpose, etc)
so which type do you recommend?

On 21 Jul 2006 02:30:30 -0700, "Mathew Newton"
wrote:

[email protected] July 24th 06 11:59 AM

New toilet - what to bed onto?

Is that a sin?

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 20:09:10 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

A top poster.

.. .

wrote:

Grimly Curmudgeon July 24th 06 07:15 PM

New toilet - what to bed onto?

drugs began to take hold. I remember F saying
something like:

A new toilet is to go on top of ceramic tiles. What do I put between them?

Silicone?

Or expanding foam.
--

Dave

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) July 26th 06 12:05 PM

New toilet - what to bed onto?

In article ,
wrote:

Is that a sin?

Is WHAT a sin? You forgot to provide any trimmed context beofore your
comment. Oh yes and you left a ream of untrimmed irrelevance trailing in its
wake.

--
AJL