Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New toilet - what to bed onto?

In article .com,
"sm_jamieson" writes:

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
F wrote:
A new toilet is to go on top of ceramic tiles. What do I put between
them?

Silicone?

The previous one had mortar between it and the concrete floor.

Silicone will do nicley,as its only to form a barrier should you miss?

Ceramic pan on ceramic tiles, might "grind" a little, since the bottom
of the pan is rarely completely flat, so the bedding is not just a
protection against the poorly aiming man.

Saw a plumber doing a pan in the Gents at work.
He stood it on 4 or 5 tile spacers (2mm ones probably)
and then siliconed around the base, using enough silicone
that it would have gone right through the 2mm gap and
built up on the other side. I didn't see if he pulled
out the spacers afterwards or cut them off.

--
Andrew Gabriel