Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

Default Something nasty in the swimming pool ...

I've just started to get my swimming pool ready after the winter. I
was hooking out a load of leaves then spotted a pair of dead rats!

Any suggestions on the ppm level of Cl I need to make it sake?

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Terry

Nigel Molesworth wrote in
:

I've just started to get my swimming pool ready after the winter. I
was hooking out a load of leaves then spotted a pair of dead rats!

Any suggestions on the ppm level of Cl I need to make it sake?

Having asked a Microbiologist friend of mine, his answer was that HE would
never swim in the pool until it has been drained, cleaned and refilled.

Rats carry diseases harmful to man - dead rats rotting in water will
encourage may more bacterial growths harmful to man.

Hope this is of some help.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Terry

Terry wrote in
:

Nigel Molesworth wrote in
:

I've just started to get my swimming pool ready after the winter. I
was hooking out a load of leaves then spotted a pair of dead rats!

Any suggestions on the ppm level of Cl I need to make it sake?

Having asked a Microbiologist friend of mine, his answer was that HE
would never swim in the pool until it has been drained, cleaned and
refilled.

Rats carry diseases harmful to man - dead rats rotting in water will
encourage may more bacterial growths harmful to man.

Hope this is of some help.

I should have added that in his opinion, the level of Chlorine needed to
"make it safe" would be nearing the toxicity level. But this is an
educated guess rather than an expert opinion.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Burns

Nigel Molesworth wrote:

a pair of dead rats!
Any suggestions on the ppm level of Cl I need to make it sake?

I thought it was made by fermenting rice, not rats and bleach :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 12:19:48 +0100, Nigel Molesworth
wrote:

I've just started to get my swimming pool ready after the winter. I
was hooking out a load of leaves then spotted a pair of dead rats!

Any suggestions on the ppm level of Cl I need to make it sake?

Were the rats trying to desert the swimming pool for some reason when
they went to a far, far better place?
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the (EGG) to email me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Derek ^

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 11:27:16 GMT, Terry
wrote:

Nigel Molesworth wrote in
:

I've just started to get my swimming pool ready after the winter. I
was hooking out a load of leaves then spotted a pair of dead rats!

Any suggestions on the ppm level of Cl I need to make it sake?

Having asked a Microbiologist friend of mine, his answer was that HE would
never swim in the pool until it has been drained, cleaned and refilled.

Doing some googling is very unencouraging, here's a start.

http://www.le.ac.uk/biology/gat/virtualfc/weil.html

I'd empty it and power wash it down with a solution of hypochlorite
bleach.

DG
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 11:29:53 GMT, Terry wrote:

I should have added that in his opinion, the level of Chlorine needed to
"make it safe" would be nearing the toxicity level.

I'm not using it for at least two weeks, and you can get Cl remover,
so I could put loads in. Did your friend suggest a ppm value?

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 12:57:42 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Any suggestions on the ppm level of Cl I need to make it sake?

I thought it was made by fermenting rice, not rats and bleach :-)

Dyslexia rules KO ;-)

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Wanderer

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 12:19:48 +0100, Nigel Molesworth wrote:

I've just started to get my swimming pool ready after the winter. I
was hooking out a load of leaves then spotted a pair of dead rats!

Any suggestions on the ppm level of Cl I need to make it sake?

When I open my pool, I usually add about 10/12 litres of (22%) liquid
chlorine to the water anyway. It decomposes quite quickly, so shouldn't
present a problem. I've not had dead rats, but I've certainly fished out
the occasional dead hedgehog - and do they pong when they're decomposing!

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article
Nigel Molesworth wrote:
I've just started to get my swimming pool ready after the winter. I
was hooking out a load of leaves then spotted a pair of dead rats!

Leave a few bits of thick rope dangling over the edge next year, then if
any more fall in they'll be able to climb out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Nigel
Molesworth writes
I've just started to get my swimming pool ready after the winter. I
was hooking out a load of leaves then spotted a pair of dead rats!

Any suggestions on the ppm level of Cl I need to make it sake?

Don't you mean alcohol ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

Nigel Molesworth wrote:
On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 11:29:53 GMT, Terry wrote:

I should have added that in his opinion, the level of Chlorine
needed to "make it safe" would be nearing the toxicity level.

I'm not using it for at least two weeks, and you can get Cl remover,
so I could put loads in. Did your friend suggest a ppm value?

my mrs, a microbiologist, could work that out in 2 mins flat and clorine
isn't the best solution for your problem. pun intended.

shame you were rude to me, isn't it ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 12:19:48 +0100, Nigel Molesworth wrote:

Any suggestions on the ppm level of Cl I need ...

My bro in law has put this in perspective, he's a pest control
officer. He quite rightly said that rats die all the time in our
(drinking) water reservoirs, and that low level of chlorine is enough
to kill off the bugs.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
EricP

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 19:06:59 +0100, Nigel Molesworth
wrote:

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 12:19:48 +0100, Nigel Molesworth wrote:

Any suggestions on the ppm level of Cl I need ...

My bro in law has put this in perspective, he's a pest control
officer. He quite rightly said that rats die all the time in our
(drinking) water reservoirs, and that low level of chlorine is enough
to kill off the bugs.

No, he's put it out of perspective. Rats dying in a reservoir are in
millions of gallons of water, your pool contains a few gallons.

Empty the thing out, clean and refill.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack

wrote:

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 12:19:48 +0100, Nigel Molesworth wrote:

Any suggestions on the ppm level of Cl I need ...

My bro in law has put this in perspective, he's a pest control
officer. He quite rightly said that rats die all the time in our
(drinking) water reservoirs, and that low level of chlorine is enough
to kill off the bugs.

No, he's put it out of perspective. Rats dying in a reservoir are in
millions of gallons of water,

Yes but they're homeopathic rats.

your pool contains a few gallons.

Conventional rats.

Empty the thing out, clean and refill.

Homeopathic rats.
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the (EGG) to email me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod

Mike Halmarack ... wrote in news:4ca5421a1obq4qpqi4lt7kqtjg9f1uipb2@
4ax.com:

snip
No, he's put it out of perspective. Rats dying in a reservoir are in
millions of gallons of water,

Yes but they're homeopathic rats.

your pool contains a few gallons.

Conventional rats.

Empty the thing out, clean and refill.

Homeopathic rats.

So the more you empty, clean, refill, the stronger they (rats and/or bugs)
get?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dan delaMare-Lyon

"Nigel Molesworth" wrote in message
I've just started to get my swimming pool ready after the winter. I
was hooking out a load of leaves then spotted a pair of dead rats!

Any suggestions on the ppm level of Cl I need to make it sake?

Hmmm - I thought Sake was made with rice - not dead rats and a swimming
pool - oh well - you live and learn ;-)

Cheers
dan

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 16:25:30 GMT, "." wrote:

Nigel Molesworth wrote:
On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 11:29:53 GMT, Terry wrote:

I should have added that in his opinion, the level of Chlorine
needed to "make it safe" would be nearing the toxicity level.

I'm not using it for at least two weeks, and you can get Cl remover,
so I could put loads in. Did your friend suggest a ppm value?

my mrs, a microbiologist, could work that out in 2 mins flat and clorine
isn't the best solution for your problem. pun intended.

shame you were rude to me, isn't it ?

Do you really think he gives a flying f*ck?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack

On 16 Apr 2006 20:41:48 GMT, Rod wrote:

Mike Halmarack ... wrote in news:4ca5421a1obq4qpqi4lt7kqtjg9f1uipb2@
4ax.com:

snip
No, he's put it out of perspective. Rats dying in a reservoir are in
millions of gallons of water,

Yes but they're homeopathic rats.

your pool contains a few gallons.

Conventional rats.

Empty the thing out, clean and refill.

Homeopathic rats.

So the more you empty, clean, refill, the stronger they (rats and/or bugs)
get?

Not only that but they send out for Lilos and floating champagne
buckets.

--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the (EGG) to email me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

Nigel Molesworth wrote:
On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 11:29:53 GMT, Terry wrote:

I should have added that in his opinion, the level of Chlorine
needed to "make it safe" would be nearing the toxicity level.

I'm not using it for at least two weeks, and you can get Cl remover,
so I could put loads in. Did your friend suggest a ppm value?

my mrs, a microbiologist, could work that out in 2 mins flat and
clorine isn't the best solution for your problem. pun intended.

shame you were rude to me, isn't it ?

Do you really think he gives a flying f*ck?

hahahahaha. are you his bf ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

.. wrote in message
Nigel Molesworth wrote:
On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 11:29:53 GMT, Terry wrote:

I should have added that in his opinion, the level of Chlorine
needed to "make it safe" would be nearing the toxicity level.

I'm not using it for at least two weeks, and you can get Cl remover,
so I could put loads in. Did your friend suggest a ppm value?

my mrs, a microbiologist, could work that out in 2 mins flat

And you are no doubt the rocket scientist of the family, but then you don't
seen to have a clue what to call yourself.

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , .
writes
Mark wrote:
. wrote in message
Nigel Molesworth wrote:
On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 11:29:53 GMT, Terry wrote:

I should have added that in his opinion, the level of Chlorine
needed to "make it safe" would be nearing the toxicity level.

I'm not using it for at least two weeks, and you can get Cl remover,
so I could put loads in. Did your friend suggest a ppm value?

my mrs, a microbiologist, could work that out in 2 mins flat

And you are no doubt the rocket scientist of the family,

employee to opportunist to employer.

but then you don't seen to have a clue what to call yourself.

my dad said he wanted to name me /mark/ but he quipped that
"mark" sounded like a dog with a hare lip.

what you see is what you get.

So they called you "Twot" then ?

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Nigel Molesworth wrote:
I've just started to get my swimming pool ready after the winter. I
was hooking out a load of leaves then spotted a pair of dead rats!

Any suggestions on the ppm level of Cl I need to make it sake?

Fr sake, its the alcohol, not the chlorine level you need to increase.
Around 15% IIRC.

Dead rats are an essential part of cider making allegedly, so look
forward to a vintage year ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 19:35:33 GMT, EricP wrote:

No, he's put it out of perspective. Rats dying in a reservoir are in
millions of gallons of water, your pool contains a few gallons.

Not where I live, the reservoir is almost empty

Empty the thing out, clean and refill.

Can't hosepipe ban, see above.

I've been advised by a pool company to get the Cl to 15ppm and
circulate for 8 hours. So I've doubled that.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

Nigel Molesworth wrote in
Empty the thing out, clean and refill.

Can't hosepipe ban, see above.

"The hosepipe ban will apply to watering plants and car washing at
residential addresses, but there will be no restrictions on using a hose to
fill up a swimming pool"
http://www.poolstore.co.uk/ishop/691/shopscr453.html

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y
EricP

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 12:14:31 +0100, Nigel Molesworth
wrote:

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 19:35:33 GMT, EricP wrote:

No, he's put it out of perspective. Rats dying in a reservoir are in
millions of gallons of water, your pool contains a few gallons.

Not where I live, the reservoir is almost empty

Empty the thing out, clean and refill.

Can't hosepipe ban, see above.

Pools aren't covered. The BEEB was going on about it a day ago.

Only car washing and plant watering.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 15:29:00 UTC, "Mark" wrote:

Nigel Molesworth wrote in
Empty the thing out, clean and refill.

Can't hosepipe ban, see above.

"The hosepipe ban will apply to watering plants and car washing at
residential addresses, but there will be no restrictions on using a hose to
fill up a swimming pool"
http://www.poolstore.co.uk/ishop/691/shopscr453.html

It varies, depending on the water company.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 19:35:33 GMT, EricP wrote:

Empty the thing out, clean and refill.

Just got a reply from the Leptospirosis Information Center

"The free chlorine levels in typical public pools (2 to 4 ppm) are
sufficient to kill all pathogenic leptospires given enough time. The
standard data comes from a set of studies conducted in the late 1950's
(Alston J & Broom J, Leptospirosis in man and animals, Livingstone
Press London 1958), which proved lethality within 45 minutes at
3.5ppm. Also, with a private pool there is less volume exchange than
public pools, so a 2 to 4 ppm level would be more than adequate for
safety."

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack

wrote:

I've just started to get my swimming pool ready after the winter. I
was hooking out a load of leaves then spotted a pair of dead rats!

Any suggestions on the ppm level of Cl I need to make it sake?

Were the rats trying to desert the swimming pool for some reason when
they went to a far, far better place?

It's lemmings that do that.....

I suppose a deadly drop can open the door to an improved environment
for some.
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the (EGG) to email me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Martin

in 522880 20060418 084530 Andy Hall wrote:

It's lemmings that do that.....

That's a myth.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Bob Eager wrote:
"Mark" wrote:
Nigel Molesworth wrote in
Empty the thing out, clean and refill.
Can't hosepipe ban, see above.

"The hosepipe ban will apply to watering plants and car washing at
residential addresses, but there will be no restrictions on using a hose to
fill up a swimming pool"
http://www.poolstore.co.uk/ishop/691/shopscr453.html

It varies, depending on the water company.

Really? Why do you think that?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt

Nigel Molesworth wrote:
On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 11:29:53 GMT, Terry wrote:

I should have added that in his opinion, the level of Chlorine
needed to "make it safe" would be nearing the toxicity level.

I'm not using it for at least two weeks, and you can get Cl remover,
so I could put loads in. Did your friend suggest a ppm value?

my mrs, a microbiologist, could work that out in 2 mins flat and
clorine isn't the best solution for your problem. pun intended.

shame you were rude to me, isn't it ?

Do you really think he gives a flying f*ck?

hahahahaha. are you his bf ?

Carry on like that and you might end up wishing your wife was a
barrister rather than a microbiologist.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Hzatph

"Nigel Molesworth" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 19:35:33 GMT, EricP wrote:

Empty the thing out, clean and refill.

Just got a reply from the Leptospirosis Information Center

"The free chlorine levels in typical public pools (2 to 4 ppm) are
sufficient to kill all pathogenic leptospires given enough time. The
standard data comes from a set of studies conducted in the late 1950's
(Alston J & Broom J, Leptospirosis in man and animals, Livingstone
Press London 1958), which proved lethality within 45 minutes at
3.5ppm. Also, with a private pool there is less volume exchange than
public pools, so a 2 to 4 ppm level would be more than adequate for
safety."

--
Nigel M

I agree with this. Too high a level of chlorine, particularly combined with
a low pH, can lead to chloramine formation which is not pleasant for
swimming.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Andy Hall wrote:
On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 13:21:53 +0100, Mike Halmarack ... wrote:

Were the rats trying to desert the swimming pool for some reason when
they went to a far, far better place?

It's lemmings that do that.....

Simple solution then - fill the pool with lemming aid.

I'll get my coat.................

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman