RedOnRed

Default Condensing Boilers & Fuel Prices

Is it a coincidence that household fuel prices are spiralling up,
particularly since the increased popularity of high efficiency boilers and
with the advent of condensing boilers being pretty much mandatory since
April this year?

Household fuel companies are in the business of selling us fuel. Surely if
we're using less of it then they have to increase their prices? Which is
exactly what seems to be happening.

If the pattern continues it looks like more HE boilers means higher fuel
prices. If that's the case, then does it mean there's less reason or more
reason to have a condensing boiler?

Andy Hall

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 09:30:45 +0100, "RedOnRed" wrote:

Is it a coincidence that household fuel prices are spiralling up,
particularly since the increased popularity of high efficiency boilers and
with the advent of condensing boilers being pretty much mandatory since
April this year?

Household fuel companies are in the business of selling us fuel. Surely if
we're using less of it then they have to increase their prices? Which is
exactly what seems to be happening.

If the pattern continues it looks like more HE boilers means higher fuel
prices. If that's the case, then does it mean there's less reason or more
reason to have a condensing boiler?

Somewhat academic, since in general you don't have the choice when a
replacement is made.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
RedOnRed

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 09:30:45 +0100, "RedOnRed" wrote:

Is it a coincidence that household fuel prices are spiralling up,
particularly since the increased popularity of high efficiency boilers and
with the advent of condensing boilers being pretty much mandatory since
April this year?

Household fuel companies are in the business of selling us fuel. Surely if
we're using less of it then they have to increase their prices? Which is
exactly what seems to be happening.

If the pattern continues it looks like more HE boilers means higher fuel
prices. If that's the case, then does it mean there's less reason or more
reason to have a condensing boiler?

Somewhat academic, since in general you don't have the choice when a
replacement is made.

--

.andy

Not necessarily so. I had my 28 year old boiler replaced in April and could
still be using it now...if I could've been bothered to keep on having it
repaired that is.

Apart from brand new installs in say new homes, i'd say a lot of people do
have the option.

Paul Andrews

"RedOnRed" wrote in message
Is it a coincidence that household fuel prices are spiralling up,
particularly since the increased popularity of high efficiency boilers and
with the advent of condensing boilers being pretty much mandatory since
April this year?

Household fuel companies are in the business of selling us fuel. Surely if
we're using less of it then they have to increase their prices? Which is
exactly what seems to be happening.

I really doubt that the uptake of new boilers is distorting the profits -
just think how many non-condensing boilers are still out there. Condensing
boilers must be in the minority right now. I think it's as they say - good
old demand and supply.

If the pattern continues it looks like more HE boilers means higher fuel
prices. If that's the case, then does it mean there's less reason or more
reason to have a condensing boiler?

The cost of gas is just the same regardless of what boiler you have, so you
can choose to use more expensive gas or less if you wish to change boiler.

I've recently changed to a condensing boiler, but it had nothing to do with
the cost of gas or efficiency.

Paul

Andy Hall

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 11:39:10 +0100, "RedOnRed" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

That will really depend on several things:

1) If the installation situation means that there is exemption based
on the points system defined in the Assessment Procedure from the ODPM

http://tinyurl.com/c5dea

If these rules are followed, then there are relatively few instances
where a condensing boiler couldn't be installed, and would therefore
have to be.

That's the official position.

The remaining cases a

2) CORGI installer is willing to sign an exemption document for the
local authority and install a non-condensing boiler even though the
property really isn't exempt. He runs the (probably low) risk of
being caught out by the local authority or CORGI in the case of an
inspection.

3) CORGI installer installs non condensing boiler with no paperwork.
Result is as (2) and the householder has no paper trail when he wishes
to sell. Probability of anything arising also low.

4) Non registered installer installs non condensing boiler. Result as
for 3)

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

RedOnRed

"Paul Andrews" wrote in message
"RedOnRed" wrote in message
[...]

It just seems that household fuel prices are increasing across the board,
which has coincided with the prevalence of condensing boilers which use less
gas.

RedOnRed

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 11:39:10 +0100, "RedOnRed" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Thanks Andy.

Bureaucracy behind the installs aside, i'm curious about whether people
think fuel is increasing in price due to the increase of us using less of
it.

Paul Andrews

"RedOnRed" wrote in message

snip

It just seems that household fuel prices are increasing across the board,
which has coincided with the prevalence of condensing boilers which use

less
gas.

It has also coincided with reduced output from the north sea for the UK gas
supplies and the country having to buy in supplies of gas from elsewhere..

RedOnRed

"Paul Andrews" wrote in message

"RedOnRed" wrote in message

snip

It just seems that household fuel prices are increasing across the board,
which has coincided with the prevalence of condensing boilers which use

less
gas.

It has also coincided with reduced output from the north sea for the UK
gas
supplies and the country having to buy in supplies of gas from elsewhere..

Just as I was getting all Tom Clancy and Freddy Forsyth on this...you just
had to go and blow my conspiracy theory out of the water didn't you! :-(

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
RedOnRed wrote:
Bureaucracy behind the installs aside, i'm curious about whether people
think fuel is increasing in price due to the increase of us using less
of it.

It's gone up because all energy prices have increased due to wars, natural
disasters and the fact they're getting more expensive to extract.

--
*Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
RedOnRed

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
RedOnRed wrote:
Bureaucracy behind the installs aside, i'm curious about whether people
think fuel is increasing in price due to the increase of us using less
of it.

It's gone up because all energy prices have increased due to wars, natural
disasters and the fact they're getting more expensive to extract.

--

I might be wrong but since when has the production and price of North Sea
gas and our domestic electricity been affected by overseas conflicts and

Andy Hall

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 13:53:05 +0100, "RedOnRed" wrote:

Bureaucracy behind the installs aside, i'm curious about whether people
think fuel is increasing in price due to the increase of us using less of
it.

This would require intellect on the part of jag+=2 which I have a hard
time imagining.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
chris French

In message , RedOnRed
writes

RedOnRed wrote:
Bureaucracy behind the installs aside, i'm curious about whether people
think fuel is increasing in price due to the increase of us using less
of it.

It's gone up because all energy prices have increased due to wars, natural
disasters and the fact they're getting more expensive to extract.

--

I might be wrong but since when has the production and price of North Sea
gas and our domestic electricity been affected by overseas conflicts and
natural disaters?

Only some of our gas comes from the North Sea, and it subject to the
same market forces as the rest of the gas supply. If prices in general
rise then so does the price for 'our' gas

--
Chris French

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
RedOnRed wrote:
It's gone up because all energy prices have increased due to wars,
natural disasters and the fact they're getting more expensive to
extract.

I might be wrong but since when has the production and price of North
Sea gas and our domestic electricity been affected by overseas
conflicts and natural disaters?

Because we are no longer self sufficient in gas and buy it in from Russia.

--
*If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

RedOnRed

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 13:53:05 +0100, "RedOnRed" wrote:

Bureaucracy behind the installs aside, i'm curious about whether people
think fuel is increasing in price due to the increase of us using less of
it.

This would require intellect on the part of jag+=2 which I have a hard
time imagining.

--

.andy

Lol.

So no-one sees any corellation in household fuel rising in-line with the
growth of condensing boilers?

If not, i'll get me jacket shall I?

Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 15:14:51 +0100, RedOnRed wrote:

I might be wrong but since when has the production and price of
North Sea gas and our domestic electricity been affected by overseas
conflicts and natural disaters?

The price has always been affected, simple supply and demand, market
forces etc. The oil market is a global affair, anything happening
elsewhere in the world can hoik the price up and down quite
dramatically.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 17:22:55 +0100, RedOnRed wrote:

So no-one sees any corellation in household fuel rising in-line with
the growth of condensing boilers?

If not, i'll get me jacket shall I?

Here, left arm first, now your right, cross at the front, tie at the
back.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Ed Sirett

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 13:10:50 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 11:39:10 +0100, "RedOnRed" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I agree with your analysis. I've had a visitation from the CORGI
inspector recently as part of the routine monitoring. Apparently 80% of
the registered firms are sending in no notifications at all.
Now some of those firms _may_ be entirely engaged in maintenance and
service. Some others may have no 'operatives' (but would like to
accquire some) although the _firm_ is registered.

The inspector said that his boss is changing the strategy, instead of
inspecting the notified work from arguably the most thorough 20%. He
suggests targeting the 80% (really insightful thinking eh?). They can
easily visit the companies but I would guess that something of a smoke
screen will be put up to 'protect' their employee(s).

Ed Sirett

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 13:53:05 +0100, "RedOnRed" wrote:

Bureaucracy behind the installs aside, i'm curious about whether people
think fuel is increasing in price due to the increase of us using less of
it.

This would require intellect on the part of jag+=2 which I have a hard
time imagining.

--

.andy

Lol.

So no-one sees any corellation in household fuel rising in-line with the
growth of condensing boilers?

One of the chief difficulties in statistics is separating out two effects
which (as it happens) seem to be linked. As time goes on it may become
clear there was no such link. A certain amount of common sense is needed
here.
1) If the demand for a commodity falls (due to installing condensing
boilers) then it's price is likely to fall.
2) Energy prices are subject to global market forces.
3) As "Dubya" would say there is a trouble in "Iraqistan".

Tim Lamb

In message .uk, Ed
Sirett writes

So no-one sees any corellation in household fuel rising in-line with the
growth of condensing boilers?

One of the chief difficulties in statistics is separating out two effects
which (as it happens) seem to be linked. As time goes on it may become
clear there was no such link. A certain amount of common sense is needed
here.
1) If the demand for a commodity falls (due to installing condensing
boilers) then it's price is likely to fall.
2) Energy prices are subject to global market forces.
3) As "Dubya" would say there is a trouble in "Iraqistan".

Gas was traditionally priced to compete with *gas oil*. I am 20 years
out of date and don't know the current system.

How many of us have rushed to take up BGs offer to fix the price?

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Andy Hall

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 17:22:55 +0100, "RedOnRed" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 13:53:05 +0100, "RedOnRed" wrote:

Bureaucracy behind the installs aside, i'm curious about whether people
think fuel is increasing in price due to the increase of us using less of
it.

This would require intellect on the part of jag+=2 which I have a hard
time imagining.

--

.andy

Lol.

So no-one sees any corellation in household fuel rising in-line with the
growth of condensing boilers?

If not, i'll get me jacket shall I?

Not really. It's a similar correlation to saying that global warming
is in some way related to the activities of mankind.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 20:01:47 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 17:22:55 +0100, RedOnRed wrote:

So no-one sees any corellation in household fuel rising in-line with
the growth of condensing boilers?

If not, i'll get me jacket shall I?

Here, left arm first, now your right, cross at the front, tie at the
back.

No, no, that's the MO for Drivel.....

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 21:49:34 +0100, Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message .uk, Ed
Sirett writes

So no-one sees any corellation in household fuel rising in-line with the
growth of condensing boilers?

One of the chief difficulties in statistics is separating out two effects
which (as it happens) seem to be linked. As time goes on it may become
clear there was no such link. A certain amount of common sense is needed
here.
1) If the demand for a commodity falls (due to installing condensing
boilers) then it's price is likely to fall.
2) Energy prices are subject to global market forces.
3) As "Dubya" would say there is a trouble in "Iraqistan".

Gas was traditionally priced to compete with *gas oil*. I am 20 years
out of date and don't know the current system.

How many of us have rushed to take up BGs offer to fix the price?

Probably about the same number that have 3* service contracts and
believe it's a wonderful deal or who buy lottery tickets.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 20:36:36 +0100, Ed Sirett
wrote:

I agree with your analysis. I've had a visitation from the CORGI
inspector recently as part of the routine monitoring. Apparently 80% of
the registered firms are sending in no notifications at all.
Now some of those firms _may_ be entirely engaged in maintenance and
service. Some others may have no 'operatives' (but would like to
accquire some) although the _firm_ is registered.

The inspector said that his boss is changing the strategy, instead of
inspecting the notified work from arguably the most thorough 20%. He
suggests targeting the 80% (really insightful thinking eh?). They can
easily visit the companies but I would guess that something of a smoke
screen will be put up to 'protect' their employee(s).

Also I don't think that CORGI particularly see it as their remit to
police energy saving, or that there is no incentive so to do. There
is plenty to do with their main activities of trying to identify
cowboys and dangerous work.

Possibly building control organisations should be doing this. Again
the trouble is that there are bigger fish to fry.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Matt

RedOnRed wrote:
Bureaucracy behind the installs aside, i'm curious about whether people
think fuel is increasing in price due to the increase of us using less
of it.

It's gone up because all energy prices have increased due to wars, natural
disasters and the fact they're getting more expensive to extract.

I might be wrong but since when has the production and price of North Sea
gas and our domestic electricity been affected by overseas conflicts and
natural disaters?

Historically, due to a captive market and no gas export facilities,
the natural gas price was effectively *lower* in the UK than in world
markets right up until the point the first pipeline was built to
continental Europe. From that point (October 1998) the lower
production costs in the UK and the wider market opportunities
available in Europe meant the gas was usually exported like mad to
make huge profits regardless of any future UK requirements.

It took about 7 years of relentless exporting to get in the sorry
state the UK is in right now, with a sensible energy policy we could
still have had some sensible reserves left. Given that a large
percentage of electricity generation is gas fired, the **** will be
hitting the (stationary) fan sometime soon.

http://www.parliament.uk/documents/upload/POSTpn230.pdf

.......is amusing reading for those well prepared :-)

Matt

"Paul Andrews" wrote:

"RedOnRed" wrote in message

snip

It just seems that household fuel prices are increasing across the board,
which has coincided with the prevalence of condensing boilers which use

less
gas.

It has also coincided with reduced output from the north sea for the UK gas
supplies and the country having to buy in supplies of gas from elsewhere..

Do keep up at the back, that has been happening for YEARS.

Ed Sirett

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 23:40:26 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 21:49:34 +0100, Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message .uk, Ed
Sirett writes

[...]

Agreed, although the underlying trend will always be upwards as oil/gas
gets scarcer the recent big hike in prices is unsustainable as the oil/gas
is not (yet) truly three times more expensive to come by than it was a
year or two ago. So the fixed price deal looks like it taps into peoples
fears that there will be no end to gas price increases yet in reality
the price of gas is likely to come down (from the current very high level)
in the medium term. BG are offering to hold prices high for you until
when? (2010?).

Ed Sirett

wrote:

[...]

In order to self-certify Part L compliance you need C&G 6083 (?) the
energy efficiency exam pass. This means doing things with TRVs and proper
full controls and condensing boilers.
So you potentially invoke the wrath of the inspector if you sign-off
systems that don't comply. So in that respect they are indirectly
concerned with energy saving.

However I welcome the change if they are going to go after the 80% of
non-notifiers.

As for BC doing this stuff they are probably as enthused and as well
prepared for inspecting Part L compliance as they are about
Part Pee.

RedOnRed wrote:
So no-one sees any corellation in household fuel rising in-line with the
growth of condensing boilers?

More combi boilers and fuel prices rising so of course there is a
correlation.

Using similar reasoning, the increasing number of speed cameras has led
us all to drive more slowly and use less fuel and therefore push up the
price of fuel.

You need to learn more about statistics (hint: correlation is not the
same as causation).

MBQ

Egremont

No, the price of gas has gone up because I've finally put gch into my house.
I haven't yet put a condensing boiler in, but no doubt the prices will go up
again when I do (:-).

I'll give it about 12 years or so of price rises before we'll all be
ripping out central heating and putting coal fires back in.

Egremont.

Condensing boilers Timothy Murphy UK diy 70 October 4th 05 09:40 PM
Best Condensing boilers Boovee UK diy 50 February 1st 05 02:49 PM
Condensing boilers rule? Rob UK diy 72 November 26th 04 08:52 PM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Condensing combi boilers Lynne Chapman UK diy 5 August 23rd 04 01:38 AM