Ed Sirett

Default Condensing Boilers & Fuel Prices

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 23:45:03 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 20:36:36 +0100, Ed Sirett
wrote:

I agree with your analysis. I've had a visitation from the CORGI
inspector recently as part of the routine monitoring. Apparently 80% of
the registered firms are sending in no notifications at all.
Now some of those firms _may_ be entirely engaged in maintenance and
service. Some others may have no 'operatives' (but would like to
accquire some) although the _firm_ is registered.

The inspector said that his boss is changing the strategy, instead of
inspecting the notified work from arguably the most thorough 20%. He
suggests targeting the 80% (really insightful thinking eh?). They can
easily visit the companies but I would guess that something of a smoke
screen will be put up to 'protect' their employee(s).

Also I don't think that CORGI particularly see it as their remit to
police energy saving, or that there is no incentive so to do. There
is plenty to do with their main activities of trying to identify
cowboys and dangerous work.

Possibly building control organisations should be doing this. Again
the trouble is that there are bigger fish to fry.

In order to self-certify Part L compliance you need C&G 6083 (?) the
energy efficiency exam pass. This means doing things with TRVs and proper
full controls and condensing boilers.
So you potentially invoke the wrath of the inspector if you sign-off
systems that don't comply. So in that respect they are indirectly
concerned with energy saving.

However I welcome the change if they are going to go after the 80% of
non-notifiers.

As for BC doing this stuff they are probably as enthused and as well
prepared for inspecting Part L compliance as they are about
Part Pee.