Andy Hall

Default Condensing Boilers & Fuel Prices

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 11:39:10 +0100, "RedOnRed" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 09:30:45 +0100, "RedOnRed" wrote:

Is it a coincidence that household fuel prices are spiralling up,
particularly since the increased popularity of high efficiency boilers and
with the advent of condensing boilers being pretty much mandatory since
April this year?

Household fuel companies are in the business of selling us fuel. Surely if
we're using less of it then they have to increase their prices? Which is
exactly what seems to be happening.

If the pattern continues it looks like more HE boilers means higher fuel
prices. If that's the case, then does it mean there's less reason or more
reason to have a condensing boiler?

Somewhat academic, since in general you don't have the choice when a
replacement is made.

--

.andy

Not necessarily so. I had my 28 year old boiler replaced in April and could
still be using it now...if I could've been bothered to keep on having it
repaired that is.

Apart from brand new installs in say new homes, i'd say a lot of people do
have the option.

That will really depend on several things:

1) If the installation situation means that there is exemption based
on the points system defined in the Assessment Procedure from the ODPM

http://tinyurl.com/c5dea

If these rules are followed, then there are relatively few instances
where a condensing boiler couldn't be installed, and would therefore
have to be.

That's the official position.

The remaining cases a

2) CORGI installer is willing to sign an exemption document for the
local authority and install a non-condensing boiler even though the
property really isn't exempt. He runs the (probably low) risk of
being caught out by the local authority or CORGI in the case of an
inspection.

3) CORGI installer installs non condensing boiler with no paperwork.
Result is as (2) and the householder has no paper trail when he wishes
to sell. Probability of anything arising also low.

4) Non registered installer installs non condensing boiler. Result as
for 3)

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl