Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default B&S Engine starts but won't run

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
On Sun, 28 Aug 2016 19:54:03 -0700, Ivan Vegvary wrote:

THANK YOU everybody.
Took off carb one more time thinking that the bowl fastener
probably
functions also as a gas inlet. (I've seen that before )
Wrong! But I found a tiny,tiny jet perpendicular to the gas flow
that
was plugged. A sewing needle and a hammer unclogged it, and the
machine
purrs rather nicely Thank you for pointing me to 'supply' problem.
Ivan Vegvary

It's good to see the group getting on topic every once in a while.

There's an amazing amount of internal combustion engine diagnosis
that
you can do if you just remember that fire needs fuel, air, and heat
burn, and that an internal combustion engine without fire is just an
air
pump.

Air needs to get in, fuel needs to get in, the air & fuel need to be
heated up to ignition temperature, it has to be able to work on the
piston, and then it has to be expelled before the cycle repeats. If
one
of those is missing, it ain't gonna work.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!

I can often figure out the problem by holding my hand in the exhaust
stream for a moment and then sniffing it. To calibrate your nose, try
that for a rich mixture with the choke out, a normal mixture when
warmed up and a lean one when running the carb dry.

--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/30/2016 5:00 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:

Air needs to get in, fuel needs to get in, the air & fuel need to be
heated up to ignition temperature,

it has to have spark (at the right time!),

it has to be able to work on the
piston, and then it has to be expelled before the cycle repeats. If one
of those is missing, it ain't gonna work.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 15:58:26 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 10:51:50 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 05:17:54 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 21:30:55 -0400,
wrote:

On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 17:37:03 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 20:31:46 -0400,
wrote:

On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 15:28:12 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 14:02:49 -0400,
wrote:

A fne wire. like used on tags, poked up the jet gets the job
started, then dose the fuel with B-12 or Sea Foam and run on choke
untill the jet clears.

How's that??

(Grin)

Much better!! Keyboard problem or did you mash a finger?

Gunner, who has mashed a finger once or twice, causing him to type
with a pencil eraser...slowly...

---
Typing in half-light on a keyboard with half the letters worn off and
a strange feel - with a couple of previously mashed pinkies thrown in.

We can't help the half-light or old mashers, but if you get a new
keyboard with the nibs still on F and J, that should help.
http://tinyurl.com/guuhchh $13.59, delivered! I should get one
myself. Me nibs're gone, too.

Salvation Army, Goodwill etc etc...have keyboards for a couple bucks.

---

I've got about 20 spares at the one customer site and a few extras
here at home too but they are all corded and this one is cordless.

Your computer is cordless keyboard only? Must be a Sony.

Have a USB port available?

Gunner

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 16:21:17 -0400, Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 13:03:13 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 09:09:51 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

When Oregon mandated oxygenated (ethanol) gas in 2004?, my gas
mileage
went down 15%. If I have to burn 15% more gas when using 10%
ethanol,
how can that -possibly- be better for the environment or the attempt
to stop importing foreign oil for fuel? Especially when ethanol has
been proven to consume more energy to create than it gives back?
I'd like to whup these idiots upside the haid, I would.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygenate

So, how do you reduce smog when using 15% more fuel? It's all PC
bull****. You add 10% ethanol to fuel and lose 15% fuel mileage, so
you're still down 5% PLUS you have to make and buy the ethanol.
Typical Algoreesque scheme, I tell ya.

This morning I found out that it was the Oregon Global Warming
Commission (what a farce) which caused us to be strapped with ethanol
infected gasoline.

Meanwhile, the corn going to make ethanol causes food prices to rise
and all the while, the gov't is giving corn and ethanol producers
windfall profits to make it.

If you're losing 15% of your gas mileage with E10, something is
screwed up in your truck. Extensive testing shows around 3.7% average
loss with E10.

In fact, I think that a 15% loss with E10 is physically impossible,
but stoichiometry is not my thing.

If you want to see the results of some extensive testing with various
blends, including with small, "non-road" engines, here's a summary:

http://feerc.ornl.gov/pdfs/pub_int_b...t1_updated.pdf

In the real world, E10 generally yields 3.5 to 5 % loss of fuel
economy
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

If you're a touch typist, simply dot the F and J keys with a mound of
epoxy or fingernail polish, or superglue a rounded piece of broken key
to the tops. If you're not a touch typist, shame on you. You should
have learned that by now. When computers came out, I sure was glad I
took typing in 9th grade.

Nott a touch typist, sad to say. I twisted rnches in hgh school
insead of tappng keys. Serverd me very well for 26 years.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Not cordless only - but located where a cord is a genuine pain.
I just switcvhed to a different keyboard - and ths one requires a bit
firmer touch we will see how ths one goes.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
m...

[...]

Just curious -- how are these "real world" measurements done and
documented?

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 17:26:49 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

"This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper"

T.S.Eliot, "The Hollow Men"

Not I, sir. We aren't victims, no sir.

I can't remember who to attribute this to, but it's my favorite
sentiment on life:

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather
one should aim to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, glass of
Scotch in the other, your body thoroughly used up, totally worn out
and screaming "WOO HOO! Man, what a ride!"

--
While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy
is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 16:00:48 -0500, Tim Wescott
wrote:

On Sun, 28 Aug 2016 19:54:03 -0700, Ivan Vegvary wrote:

THANK YOU everybody.
Took off carb one more time thinking that the bowl fastener probably
functions also as a gas inlet. (I've seen that before )
Wrong! But I found a tiny,tiny jet perpendicular to the gas flow that
was plugged. A sewing needle and a hammer unclogged it, and the machine
purrs rather nicely Thank you for pointing me to 'supply' problem.
Ivan Vegvary

It's good to see the group getting on topic every once in a while.

There's an amazing amount of internal combustion engine diagnosis that
you can do if you just remember that fire needs fuel, air, and heat to
burn, and that an internal combustion engine without fire is just an air
pump.

Air needs to get in, fuel needs to get in, the air & fuel need to be
heated up to ignition temperature, it has to be able to work on the
piston, and then it has to be expelled before the cycle repeats. If one
of those is missing, it ain't gonna work.

Right. Fuel, air, and a properly timed spark.

--
While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy
is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our
creativity, or our glorious uniqueness.
-- Gilda Radner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

We can't help the half-light or old mashers, but if you get a new
keyboard with the nibs still on F and J, that should help.
http://tinyurl.com/guuhchh $13.59, delivered! I should get one
myself. Me nibs're gone, too.

Salvation Army, Goodwill etc etc...have keyboards for a couple bucks.

I have plenty of spare keyboards for free, to anyone in the Central
Florida area. Probably 100+ right now.

--
Subject: Spelling Lesson

The last four letters in American.........I Can
The last four letters in Republican.......I Can
The last four letters in Democrats.........Rats

End of lesson. Test to follow in November, 2016

Remember, November is to be set aside as rodent extermination month.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

If you're a touch typist, simply dot the F and J keys with a mound of
epoxy or fingernail polish, or superglue a rounded piece of broken key
to the tops. If you're not a touch typist, shame on you. You should
have learned that by now. When computers came out, I sure was glad I
took typing in 9th grade.

Boys weren't allowed to take typing when I was in school, until my
senior year. I wasn't about to drop a shop class, to be in a hot
classroom with a 70+ year old screeching woman teacher. You could hear
her to both ends of that floor.

--

The last four letters in American.........I Can
The last four letters in Republican.......I Can
The last four letters in Democrats.........Rats

End of lesson. Test to follow in November, 2016

Remember, November is to be set aside as rodent extermination month.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim jim is offline

wrote:

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 09:09:51 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry wrote in message
. ..

[...]

He has no evidence he lost 15% due to ethanol.
In 2004 the oxygenate that was probably used was
MTBE (even when the pump said the gas *may* contain
ethanol).

MTBE was a horrible gas additive that had nothing
at all going for it except that it was hugely
profitable to the oil refiners to dump it
into the US gasoline supply. Today US oil refiners
export the MTBE at about half the price of gasoline
(to mostly 3rd world countries that use it to dilute their
gasoline stocks).

MTBE has all the bad effects attributed to alcohol.
It has huge negative impact on fuel economy. It is far
more corrosive to fuel lines gaskets and carburetors
than ethanol and causes skin and eye irritation to
motorist while pumping their gas. And the best part is
the oil distribution network got to blame all these
bad effects on ethanol because ethanol and MTBE are
interchangeable as oxygenates so the labels went up
on the pumps saying this "fuel may contain ethanol"
but in most places there was little or no supply of ethanol
while the oil companies had an over supply of MTBE.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 05:36:35 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

If you're a touch typist, simply dot the F and J keys with a mound of
epoxy or fingernail polish, or superglue a rounded piece of broken key
to the tops. If you're not a touch typist, shame on you. You should
have learned that by now. When computers came out, I sure was glad I
took typing in 9th grade.

Boys weren't allowed to take typing when I was in school, until my
senior year. I wasn't about to drop a shop class, to be in a hot
classroom with a 70+ year old screeching woman teacher. You could hear
her to both ends of that floor.

Mine was an old hag, too. Blonde, 30ish, (sexy, and beautiful as
hell, but not to a 9th grader.) Right around my senior year, I looked
back on her as a goddess. Oh, no screeching, either.

Back then, one couldn't buy Mavis Beacon software to teach yourself,
either. It's $4 on eBay now/$7 via Amazon Prime, if anyone wants to
learn new tricks and save themself a lot of headaches.
I heartily recommend it.

Free typing software online:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=free+typin...&t=ffnt&ia=web

--
While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy
is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our
creativity, or our glorious uniqueness.
-- Gilda Radner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 05:31:37 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

We can't help the half-light or old mashers, but if you get a new
keyboard with the nibs still on F and J, that should help.
http://tinyurl.com/guuhchh $13.59, delivered! I should get one
myself. Me nibs're gone, too.

Salvation Army, Goodwill etc etc...have keyboards for a couple bucks.

I have plenty of spare keyboards for free, to anyone in the Central
Florida area. Probably 100+ right now.

Shoulda been prepping with food 'n ammo instead, boy.

--
While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy
is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our
creativity, or our glorious uniqueness.
-- Gilda Radner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

We can't help the half-light or old mashers, but if you get a new
keyboard with the nibs still on F and J, that should help.
http://tinyurl.com/guuhchh $13.59, delivered! I should get one
myself. Me nibs're gone, too.

Salvation Army, Goodwill etc etc...have keyboards for a couple
bucks.

I have plenty of spare keyboards for free, to anyone in the
Central
Florida area. Probably 100+ right now.

Shoulda been prepping with food 'n ammo instead, boy.

I hope you label them clearly so you don't dump ammo into the hot deep
fryer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Or air, enough compression, and a properly timed spritz of fuel (if it's
a diesel).

--
Tim Wescott
I'm looking for work! See my website if you're interested
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

We can't help the half-light or old mashers, but if you get a new
keyboard with the nibs still on F and J, that should help.
http://tinyurl.com/guuhchh $13.59, delivered! I should get one
myself. Me nibs're gone, too.

Salvation Army, Goodwill etc etc...have keyboards for a couple
bucks.

I have plenty of spare keyboards for free, to anyone in the
Central
Florida area. Probably 100+ right now.

Shoulda been prepping with food 'n ammo instead, boy.

I hope you label them clearly so you don't dump ammo into the hot deep
fryer.

No biggie. I -like- spicy food. Also, I see that you didn't answer
the challenge.

--
While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy
is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our
creativity, or our glorious uniqueness.
-- Gilda Radner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

We can't help the half-light or old mashers, but if you get a
new
keyboard with the nibs still on F and J, that should help.
http://tinyurl.com/guuhchh $13.59, delivered! I should get
one
myself. Me nibs're gone, too.

Salvation Army, Goodwill etc etc...have keyboards for a couple
bucks.

I have plenty of spare keyboards for free, to anyone in the
Central
Florida area. Probably 100+ right now.

Shoulda been prepping with food 'n ammo instead, boy.

I hope you label them clearly so you don't dump ammo into the hot
deep
fryer.

No biggie. I -like- spicy food. Also, I see that you didn't answer
the challenge.

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-278523.html
"In his book "Gunshot Wounds" Vincent Di Maio describes various
experiments where ammunition was heated in ovens. He says that .22
long rifle cartridges detonate at an average of 275F, .38 Special at
290F and 12 gauge shotgun shells at 387F."

Would you stay around long enough to shut off the propane, before the
oil volcano erupts?

I answer challenges from 6AM to midnight; you don't get to add to the
list.

Last midnight and early this morning were wasted on bugs my cellular
ISP finally admitted plague their website.
Then there was covering everything outdoors for predicted rain and
reinstalling the bedliner on my truck. I removed the bed a few days
ago to find the fuel filler hose leak, then spent a day trying to
track down a replacement for less than the dealer's $317, or Amazon's
2 month delivery.

The rest of this morning and part of the afternoon were spent trying
to backup and restore the hard drive with the mindless Win 10 version
of Seagate Disk Wizard, then giving up and removing it and installing
the powerful and dangerous Win 7 version, and learning to use it. Are
you sure you meant to delete and wipe the C: partition?

Then I found the source of the basement leak, fortunately a pinhole in
a jug instead of the toilet it was next to.

Now I'm collecting evidence and composing a nastygram to an Amazon
supplier who advertised two new laptop drives but instead sent a
laptop drive with 12,000 hours and two free falls recorded on it and
a 'recertified' (failed) desktop drive.

In my spare time I try to learn how to set up my neighbor's new
"self-install" XFinity Ethernet and WiFi gateway and update the clean
install on the computer I'm loaning him for it. MS couldn't make this
simple:
https://www.thurrott.com/windows/673...g-still-broken

I haven't found GWX nagware in it (yet?) but it adds their Customer
Experience Improvement Program telemetry spyware which I manually
disabled(?). Experience this, dammit!

--sigh--

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" fired this volley in news:nq7m0e$uf7$1
@dont-email.me:

He says that .22
long rifle cartridges detonate at an average of 275F, .38 Special at
290F and 12 gauge shotgun shells at 387F."

No, they do not. They deflagrate. Some primers will detonate, but the
powder content of the shells does not. "Detonate" carries a very specific
and narrow meaning. Even chambered in a weapon, the propellant in a shell
does not _normally_ 'detonate'. When it does, VERY bad things happen to
the weapon, and often to the shooter, as well.

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

When I retired and bought my first computer ('94), I got a typing
course on CD and worked on it religiously for a couple years. Since
then I have reverted to the biblical method - "seek, and ye shall
find".
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

We can't help the half-light or old mashers, but if you get a new
keyboard with the nibs still on F and J, that should help.
http://tinyurl.com/guuhchh $13.59, delivered! I should get one
myself. Me nibs're gone, too.

Salvation Army, Goodwill etc etc...have keyboards for a couple bucks.

I have plenty of spare keyboards for free, to anyone in the Central
Florida area. Probably 100+ right now.

Shoulda been prepping with food 'n ammo instead, boy.

And Deet!!!!
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
om...

[...]

Scanguage to record. Same driving done day after day
one tank hooch free, next tank with hooch, then back to hooch free
(just as a base-- both hooch free within a percent or two - 5% less
with hooch.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Not quite correct. You need fuel and air, comprssion and properly
timed spark
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I got into computers in the Teletype era, the early 70's. They don't
delete mistakes and I decided I'd rather be slower entering the text
and less embarrassed showing it to someone.

http://answers.google.com/answers/th...id/386870.html

The VT100 terminal was a marvelous advance. It accepted codes in
instant messages that permitted messing up the recipient's screen in
many creative ways, like making random letters break loose and slide
down to pile up at the bottom of the screen, or a little Pac-Man-like
sprite that would nibble a twisty path through your displayed program.
They only disrupted screen memory, not the source.

--jsq^Hw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 05:33:46 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

I've got about 20 spares at the one customer site and a few extras
here at home too but they are all corded and this one is cordless.

Model? maybe someone has a spare? I have at least a half dozen,
without the matching USB dongles.

Mne is a Microsoft wireless 2000 Ten I have this sticky Logitcec
wave cordless that i goiing to wash.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

just switched to a logitec MX3200 I had on my pile. This one seems
to fire on all the keys without a hammer and I can read all the keys
so I should be good for a while. I washed the other logitec - can't
make it any worse and I have had them work after a good wash-out.
Someons spilled something on it at the insurance office..

When I went to high school we had academic, commercial, and tech.
Commercials could not take tech electives, tech could not takr
commercial. 5 year in any stream could take French or Latin, 4 year
could not take latin - 4 year academics took French if I remember
correctly. I took 4 year tech with double major in Auto. Cut a year
off my apprenticeship.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

We can't help the half-light or old mashers, but if you get a new
keyboard with the nibs still on F and J, that should help.
http://tinyurl.com/guuhchh $13.59, delivered! I should get one
myself. Me nibs're gone, too.

Salvation Army, Goodwill etc etc...have keyboards for a couple bucks.

I have plenty of spare keyboards for free, to anyone in the Central
Florida area. Probably 100+ right now.

Shoulda been prepping with food 'n ammo instead, boy.

Or canoes, with the storms you are getting.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news:fjvasb12gu7qkjm5b4agapqbltajduiuv4@4ax. com...

[...]

Well, based on real research -- controlled for driving cycles,
headwinds, barometric pressure, temperature, etc., you appear to be an
outlier.

But you're not lying as far out there in lonnyland as Larry. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-09-01, Jim Wilkins wrote:
wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 20:07:08 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 13:50:31 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[ ... ]

If you're a touch typist, simply dot the F and J keys with a mound
of
epoxy or fingernail polish, or superglue a rounded piece of broken
key
to the tops. If you're not a touch typist, shame on you. You
should
have learned that by now. When computers came out, I sure was glad
took typing in 9th grade.
Nott a touch typist, sad to say. I twisted rnches in hgh school
insead of tappng keys. Serverd me very well for 26 years.

When I retired and bought my first computer ('94), I got a typing
course on CD and worked on it religiously for a couple years. Since
then I have reverted to the biblical method - "seek, and ye shall
find".

I learned at home -- *long* before home computers. My aunt had
a set of rubber caps to go over the keys, and a wall chart, and got me
to type using the chart instead of the keycaps. I've been glad that I
learned it ever since. (Of course, my handwriting is so terrible that I
*need* to type. :-)

[ ... ]

I got into computers in the Teletype era, the early 70's. They don't
delete mistakes and I decided I'd rather be slower entering the text
and less embarrassed showing it to someone.

Slower -- no lower case, took a *lot* of force on the keycaps,
noisy, and the smell of hot oil. (ASR-33, FWIW)

*And* -- the ability to set the ASR-33 up to send an
identification string when asked by the computer or another terminal on
the line. But once you set it -- you were stuck with it until you got
some repair parts. There was a plastic drum with a bunch of flags,
which you broke off to set the characters to be sent. No way to replace
the flags -- just the whole drum. You could *change* existing
characters to *some* others -- by adding bits (breaking off remaining
flags).

http://answers.google.com/answers/th...id/386870.html

The VT100 terminal was a marvelous advance. It accepted codes in
instant messages that permitted messing up the recipient's screen in
many creative ways, like making random letters break loose and slide
down to pile up at the bottom of the screen, or a little Pac-Man-like
sprite that would nibble a twisty path through your displayed program.
They only disrupted screen memory, not the source.

Hmmm ... I've used VT100s (and later DEC terminals -- I still
have a VT-240 used for some things upstairs), but I didn't know about
those codes. I could imagine a *program* doing that to the screen,
however, as there was a lot of cursor-addressing stuff built in there,
and the ability to replace characters at need. (Hmm ... also setting up
an area of the screen to be sent while the rest stays put.)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

So you're a huntin' pecker, eh, Gerry? Oops, I meant hunt and pecker.

--
While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy
is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our
creativity, or our glorious uniqueness.
-- Gilda Radner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1 Sep 2016 03:28:22 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2016-09-01, Jim Wilkins wrote:
wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 20:07:08 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 13:50:31 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

That was one of my own main reasons for learing to type. I'm a lefty
and the idiot teachers gave me so much **** about smearing my work
that I ended up pressing harder and smearing it worse from the stress
and hate I was defending myself from. 'Twas a beeyotch.

Computers were a heaven send. No more retyping entire pages because
of a simple typo on a resume'.

[ ... ]

I got into computers in the Teletype era, the early 70's. They don't
delete mistakes and I decided I'd rather be slower entering the text
and less embarrassed showing it to someone.

Slower -- no lower case, took a *lot* of force on the keycaps,
noisy, and the smell of hot oil. (ASR-33, FWIW)

*And* -- the ability to set the ASR-33 up to send an
identification string when asked by the computer or another terminal on
the line. But once you set it -- you were stuck with it until you got
some repair parts. There was a plastic drum with a bunch of flags,
which you broke off to set the characters to be sent. No way to replace
the flags -- just the whole drum. You could *change* existing
characters to *some* others -- by adding bits (breaking off remaining
flags).

Eek!

http://answers.google.com/answers/th...id/386870.html

I still use the ^H for fun.

The VT100 terminal was a marvelous advance. It accepted codes in
instant messages that permitted messing up the recipient's screen in
many creative ways, like making random letters break loose and slide
down to pile up at the bottom of the screen, or a little Pac-Man-like
sprite that would nibble a twisty path through your displayed program.
They only disrupted screen memory, not the source.

snort I vaguely remember those from the early BBS days. Probably
emulator software rather than the real DEC hardware, tho. It has been
a long while.

--
While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy
is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our
creativity, or our glorious uniqueness.
-- Gilda Radner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

As long as you have them unplugged until they completely dry out, they
can be OK. The worst is pop. All that sugar turns into glue which
can pass electrons.

When I went to high school we had academic, commercial, and tech.
Commercials could not take tech electives, tech could not takr
commercial. 5 year in any stream could take French or Latin, 4 year
could not take latin - 4 year academics took French if I remember
correctly. I took 4 year tech with double major in Auto. Cut a year
off my apprenticeship.

We can't be havin' dem techies be gettin' any cout, eh? Those fArts
and Hoomanities bigots don't have any idea how much squeak and savvy
it takes to become an auto mechanic.

--
While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy
is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our
creativity, or our glorious uniqueness.
-- Gilda Radner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

I'd like to think that I'm a bit smarter than that to begin with.
kaff,kaff

I answer challenges from 6AM to midnight; you don't get to add to the
list.

So be it.

Last midnight and early this morning were wasted on bugs my cellular
ISP finally admitted plague their website.

Grr...

Then there was covering everything outdoors for predicted rain and
reinstalling the bedliner on my truck. I removed the bed a few days
ago to find the fuel filler hose leak, then spent a day trying to
track down a replacement for less than the dealer's $317, or Amazon's
2 month delivery.

I'm still searching for gasoline-proof duct tape. Let me know if you
hear of any. The last of my epoxy putty hardened up on me, so I can't
fix any more mower gas tanks this decade. I might try this HFT epoxy
http://tinyurl.com/hsbgugl If it works on HVLP poly jugs, it should
work on a gas tank.

The rest of this morning and part of the afternoon were spent trying
to backup and restore the hard drive with the mindless Win 10 version
of Seagate Disk Wizard, then giving up and removing it and installing
the powerful and dangerous Win 7 version, and learning to use it. Are
you sure you meant to delete and wipe the C: partition?

Has anyone ever found a decent backup software? Y'know, one where the
media still works when you need it?

Then I found the source of the basement leak, fortunately a pinhole in
a jug instead of the toilet it was next to.

That's good.

Now I'm collecting evidence and composing a nastygram to an Amazon
supplier who advertised two new laptop drives but instead sent a
laptop drive with 12,000 hours and two free falls recorded on it and
a 'recertified' (failed) desktop drive.

You bought -used- computer drives? Shameful. They're bad enough new.

?

I haven't found GWX nagware in it (yet?) but it adds their Customer
Experience Improvement Program telemetry spyware which I manually
disabled(?). Experience this, dammit!
--sigh--

I finally had to uninstall either 9 or 11 Windows Updates to finally
get rid of that GWX virus. Now that Win10 is no longer free, maybe
it'll go away. I, too, try to turn off the spyware whenever possible.

--
While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy
is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our
creativity, or our glorious uniqueness.
-- Gilda Radner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

We can't help the half-light or old mashers, but if you get a new
keyboard with the nibs still on F and J, that should help.
http://tinyurl.com/guuhchh $13.59, delivered! I should get one
myself. Me nibs're gone, too.

Salvation Army, Goodwill etc etc...have keyboards for a couple bucks.

I have plenty of spare keyboards for free, to anyone in the Central
Florida area. Probably 100+ right now.

Shoulda been prepping with food 'n ammo instead, boy.

And Deet!!!!

Yes, he shoul deet the food, not the ammo.

--
While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy
is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our
creativity, or our glorious uniqueness.
-- Gilda Radner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

:

He says that .22
long rifle cartridges detonate at an average of 275F, .38 Special at
290F and 12 gauge shotgun shells at 387F."

No, they do not. They deflagrate. Some primers will detonate, but the
powder content of the shells does not. "Detonate" carries a very specific
and narrow meaning. Even chambered in a weapon, the propellant in a shell
does not _normally_ 'detonate'. When it does, VERY bad things happen to
the weapon, and often to the shooter, as well.

Lloyd

True and well stated.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-09-01, Jim Wilkins wrote:
wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 20:07:08 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 13:50:31 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

IIRC the crucial ANSI escape code sequence returned the screen
character at a designated position to the sender, which allowed them
to write a space to that position and resend the character one row
down, making the text appear to droop. I believe it was meant to be
used to save and restore the previous screen after sending a warning
message in a box.

The programmers pulled those stunts only on each other, usually when
they needed to compile and the recipient was playing a game that
bogged down the VAX. The player could change the name of the game
process but not hide its size from other users. I happened to be
watching when one hit.

I've used the same method to write a Matrix Waterfall screen saver and
a graphic display of a shift register's contents in an experimental
IC.

--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

I finally had to uninstall either 9 or 11 Windows Updates to finally
get rid of that GWX virus. Now that Win10 is no longer free, maybe
it'll go away. I, too, try to turn off the spyware whenever possible.

GWX Control Panel will make sure you don't get re-infected . I d/led and
installed it on my wife's Win7 Pro/64 bit laptop , and have since installed
it on 2 more for friends . Got rid of Win10 nags and prevents d/ling any
more .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 18:33:27 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

Then there was covering everything outdoors for predicted rain and
reinstalling the bedliner on my truck. I removed the bed a few days
ago to find the fuel filler hose leak, then spent a day trying to
track down a replacement for less than the dealer's $317, or
Amazon's
2 month delivery.

I'm still searching for gasoline-proof duct tape. Let me know if
you
hear of any. The last of my epoxy putty hardened up on me, so I
can't
fix any more mower gas tanks this decade. I might try this HFT
epoxy
http://tinyurl.com/hsbgugl If it works on HVLP poly jugs, it should
work on a gas tank.

I bought some self-fusing silicone tape to try, perhaps under
hose-clamped soda can sheet aluminum.

The rest of this morning and part of the afternoon were spent trying
to backup and restore the hard drive with the mindless Win 10
version
of Seagate Disk Wizard, then giving up and removing it and
installing
the powerful and dangerous Win 7 version, and learning to use it.
Are
you sure you meant to delete and wipe the C: partition?

Has anyone ever found a decent backup software? Y'know, one where
the
media still works when you need it?

There are several programs that backup or clone a whole drive or
partition, including the OS partition while it's running. I've had
good luck with Apricorn's SATA Wire and EZ Gig IV:
https://www.apricorn.com/sata-wire-3.html
It needs a USB3 port for the increased current limit. Some laptop
drives pull more current than a USB2 port can supply.

Seagate and Western Digital offer repackaged Acronis for free, with
the stipulation that they must find a Seagate or WD drive in the
system to operate. A portable USB drive is good enough.

I redirect my user files to a second partition or drive to keep the
operating system clean. Then a single drag-and-drop Copy will back up
all my files to a USB drive folder named with today's date, like E:
\Backup_09_01_16.
http://notebooks.com/2011/05/18/how-...-in-windows-7/

The stuff Windows actively uses is on a second partition on the same
drive, so they stay together. Large program downloads, spreadsheets,
recorded TV etc are on a second drive. I'm using older, thicker
laptops that accept another 1 Terabyte hard drive in the CD bay and
USB3 on an ExpressCard, to back up to my external drives.

This is a good free program to rearrange the partitions on drives:
http://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/epm-free.html
The changes you specify don't occur until you click "Apply". It can
also prepare a new or wiped drive for use, and test them for errors.

When I want to test a new downloaded program I clone the operating
system to a spare drive and install and test it there before risking
it on the good system drive.

Windows records the hardware it's installed on and generally won't
activate if moved to a different computer, but I haven't had a problem
running a copy of the OS in the original computer. They usually want a
reboot the first time for the new HDD's driver. The date of the
antivirus's update tells me when the drive was last used if I forgot
to record it.

Cloned "sandbox" drives can open suspicious email attachments without
risking your good drive. I made a bootable Restore DVD that will wipe
an infected drive clean and install a stripped-down but functional
operating system which can then restore a full backup. It runs from a
read-only DVD drive.
http://cwsandbox.org/

Now I'm collecting evidence and composing a nastygram to an Amazon
supplier who advertised two new laptop drives but instead sent a
laptop drive with 12,000 hours and two free falls recorded on it
and
a 'recertified' (failed) desktop drive.

You bought -used- computer drives? Shameful. They're bad enough
new.

Not intentionally. I ordered more New Old Stock ones (to avoid 4k
Advanced Format) from another vendor and they seem fine, although the
5 year warranty expired yesterday.

I haven't found GWX nagware in it (yet?) but it adds their Customer
Experience Improvement Program telemetry spyware which I manually
disabled(?). Experience this, dammit!
--sigh--

I finally had to uninstall either 9 or 11 Windows Updates to finally
get rid of that GWX virus. Now that Win10 is no longer free, maybe
it'll go away. I, too, try to turn off the spyware whenever
possible.

The Convenience Rollup appears as a single update so individual
changes can't be uninstalled.

--jsw