Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default "Y D" marking on flat head cpa screw?

Flat head hex socket cap screws, 1/2" coarse thread, black finish.

What, if anything, should the marking on the head, "Y D" tell me about
the grade of the screw?

(Not old bolts; bought new circa 2004.)

Attaching a die insert to the upper die of a 300# air hammer.
Potentially dangerous should a bolt break during operation. Looking
for max strength fasteners. Wasn't so important for the purpose for
which I originally bought the screws.

TIA,
--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mike Spencer wrote:

Flat head hex socket cap screws, 1/2" coarse thread, black finish.

What, if anything, should the marking on the head, "Y D" tell me about
the grade of the screw?

(Not old bolts; bought new circa 2004.)

Attaching a die insert to the upper die of a 300# air hammer.
Potentially dangerous should a bolt break during operation. Looking
for max strength fasteners. Wasn't so important for the purpose for
which I originally bought the screws.

Ying Dong noodle factory perhaps? If it's safety critical just go spend
the $20 and buy new grade 9 hardware from a reliable source.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 06 Sep 2014 09:33:12 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Mike Spencer wrote:

Flat head hex socket cap screws, 1/2" coarse thread, black finish.

What, if anything, should the marking on the head, "Y D" tell me about
the grade of the screw?

(Not old bolts; bought new circa 2004.)

Attaching a die insert to the upper die of a 300# air hammer.
Potentially dangerous should a bolt break during operation. Looking
for max strength fasteners. Wasn't so important for the purpose for
which I originally bought the screws.

Ying Dong noodle factory perhaps? If it's safety critical just go spend
the $20 and buy new grade 9 hardware from a reliable source.

It stands for Yahweh Destroys!
They're Karma Bolts.

--
Let no man imagine that he has no influence. Whoever he may be, and
wherever he may be placed, the man who thinks becomes a light and a power.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default "Y D" marking on flat head cap screw?

"Pete C." writes:

What, if anything, should the marking on the head, "Y D" tell me about
the grade of the screw?

Ying Dong noodle factory perhaps?

Not the kind of technically informed answer I was looking for.

If it's safety critical just go spend the $20 and buy new grade 9
hardware from a reliable source.

Well, bought from a dedicated industrial hardware distributor, not from
the local hardware store or Walmart.

Good thought, though.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, September 6, 2014 8:56:57 PM UTC, Mike Spencer wrote:

Well, bought from a dedicated industrial hardware distributor, not from

the local hardware store or Walmart.

Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

I looked at MIL-HDBK-57F and did not find anything with YD. You might try it using the computer to look for YD. I just looked at manufacturers whose nome started with Y.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 6 Sep 2014 14:32:38 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Saturday, September 6, 2014 8:56:57 PM UTC, Mike Spencer wrote:

Well, bought from a dedicated industrial hardware distributor, not from

the local hardware store or Walmart.

Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

I looked at MIL-HDBK-57F and did not find anything with YD. You might try it using the computer to look for YD. I just looked at manufacturers whose nome started with Y.

Dan

The term "CUST: YD" appears all over the place in MIL Specs. I have no
idea what it means, or if it's related to this. But I'll bet it does.
It appears in relation to MIL Spec screws, as well as many other
things.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Saturday, September 6, 2014 8:56:57 PM UTC, Mike Spencer wrote:

Well, bought from a dedicated industrial hardware distributor, not from

the local hardware store or Walmart.

Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

I looked at MIL-HDBK-57F and did not find anything with YD. You might try it using the computer to look for YD. I just looked at manufacturers whose nome started with Y.

Dan

The term "CUST: YD" appears all over the place in MIL Specs. I have no
idea what it means, or if it's related to this. But I'll bet it does.
It appears in relation to MIL Spec screws, as well as many other
things.

is it "Yet Defined" or "Yet Determined" or "Year Date" Hard to figure.

Martin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Saturday, September 6, 2014 8:56:57 PM UTC, Mike Spencer wrote:

Well, bought from a dedicated industrial hardware distributor, not from
the local hardware store or Walmart.

I looked at MIL-HDBK-57F and did not find anything with YD. You
might try it using the computer to look for YD. I just looked at
manufacturers whose nome started with Y.

The term "CUST: YD" appears all over the place in MIL Specs. I have no
idea what it means, or if it's related to this. But I'll bet it does.
It appears in relation to MIL Spec screws, as well as many other
things.

You're right. The letter pair "YD" also appears alone in groups of
such pairs in mil spec docs, all entirely cryptic. Found lots of those
references but still nothing on YD as a meaningful mark. Maybe the
people that sold them to me will have time to tell me. They ship
fasteners by the pallette-load but will sell one bolt if you need it.
AFAICT their capscrews are listed as "steel" but I know they sell
specialty grades of this & that. I better try to ask.

Thanks,

- Mike

PS:

BTW, in a previous post, Pete C. wrote, "If it's safety critical just
go spend the $20 and buy new grade 9 hardware from a reliable source."
AFAIK, there is no "grade 9" spec. An Unbrako PDF on Igor Chudov's
website says that grade 8 is the highest strength level in the
relevant SAE spec and that socket head cap screws are made to a
different stadard anyhow. Are you BSing me Pete? Or just twitting me
because I' not a regular poster on
rec.crafts.politic^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hmetalworking?

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 06 Sep 2014 17:56:57 -0300, Mike Spencer
wrote:

"Pete C." writes:

What, if anything, should the marking on the head, "Y D" tell me about
the grade of the screw?

Ying Dong noodle factory perhaps?

Not the kind of technically informed answer I was looking for.

If it's safety critical just go spend the $20 and buy new grade 9
hardware from a reliable source.

Well, bought from a dedicated industrial hardware distributor, not from
the local hardware store or Walmart.

Good thought, though.

https://www.google.com/search?q=yd+bolt+head+marking

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Grade 8 is what I meant to type, but I have indeed found references to a
grade 9 out there. At any rate, "YD" is not one of the defined grade
markings I'm aware of, the SAE stuff has the radial lines to indicate
grade and metric has the x.x numbers for grade. Letter codes are common
on cheap big box store grade 5 hardware and are used to indicate what
the piece is, usually I see this as a three letter code.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Saturday, September 6, 2014 8:56:57 PM UTC, Mike Spencer wrote:

Well, bought from a dedicated industrial hardware distributor, not from

the local hardware store or Walmart.

Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

I looked at MIL-HDBK-57F and did not find anything with YD. You might try it using the computer to look for YD. I just looked at manufacturers whose nome started with Y.

Dan

The term "CUST: YD" appears all over the place in MIL Specs. I have no
idea what it means, or if it's related to this. But I'll bet it does.
It appears in relation to MIL Spec screws, as well as many other
things.

is it "Yet Defined" or "Yet Determined" or "Year Date" Hard to figure.

That reminds me of the special drawing...

(Damnit, can't find one online or on my hard drive.
Anyway, every one of the measurements was "TBD".)

--
Let no man imagine that he has no influence. Whoever he may be, and
wherever he may be placed, the man who thinks becomes a light and a power.
-- Henry George
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques"
That reminds me of the special drawing...

(Damnit, can't find one online or on my hard
drive.
Anyway, every one of the measurements was
"TBD".)

'To Be Determined' ? heh heh .. ;)}

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 7 Sep 2014 11:59:30 -0400, "Phil Kangas"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques"
That reminds me of the special drawing...

(Damnit, can't find one online or on my hard
drive.
Anyway, every one of the measurements was
"TBD".)

'To Be Determined' ? heh heh .. ;)}

Rregarding "special" drawings, there was a legend at _American
Machinist_ from the late '60s, in which they had a drawing from Japan
of a new press one of their companies was building for sale in the US.
There was an item on the drawing labelled "Water goat." No one could
figure out what it was, until one of the editors slapped his head and
said, "Of course! It's a hydraulic ram!"

True story.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ask at the place where you bought the screws in 2004.

I had a German mechanical shaper some years ago and got a service manual for it. IIRC, the term "shaper" translated to "chisel jack".

Pete Stanaitis
--------------
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/7/2014 11:28 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Sun, 7 Sep 2014 11:59:30 -0400, "Phil Kangas"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques"
That reminds me of the special drawing...

(Damnit, can't find one online or on my hard
drive.
Anyway, every one of the measurements was
"TBD".)

'To Be Determined' ? heh heh .. ;)}

Rregarding "special" drawings, there was a legend at _American
Machinist_ from the late '60s, in which they had a drawing from Japan
of a new press one of their companies was building for sale in the US.
There was an item on the drawing labelled "Water goat." No one could
figure out what it was, until one of the editors slapped his head and
said, "Of course! It's a hydraulic ram!"

True story.

Along with that and in the same vain -
I was in ATE - auto Test Systems testing semi parts...

One of my customers bought a machine from Japan. It had a Data General
computer as a controller. The Japanese company ordered Japanese manuals
for the computer, translated them into 'English' and shipped.
(They could have ordered English manuals but .... )
Customer had heck understanding the basic commands and information.

But I like the Hydraulic Ram better!

Martin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Just for the record:

The vendor says the "Y D" markings on flat head, hex socket cap screws
are maker's mark (maybe even, as suggested here, Ying Dong noodle
factory :-) unrelated to the grade of the cap screws.

The grade is ASTM A574, comparable to (better than?) SAE grade 8.

For my purposes, flat head is preferable because I can pre-load the
joint between two parts subject to impact, eliminating risk that the
impact force would fall on the fasteners.

Tnx for the replies,
--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Martin Eastburn wrote:

Along with that and in the same vain -
I was in ATE - auto Test Systems testing semi parts...

One of my customers bought a machine from Japan. It had a Data General
computer as a controller. The Japanese company ordered Japanese manuals
for the computer, translated them into 'English' and shipped.
(They could have ordered English manuals but .... )
Customer had heck understanding the basic commands and information.

We had a SATE at Cincinnati Electronics for the PRC-77 that was run
by a Data General computer in the mid '70s. We had an engineer from Data
General on site to maintain the computer, printers and equipment
interfaces. He did a data dump and had paper hitting the ceiling.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.