Posted to uk.d-i-y
EricP

Default "Lidl Ruler/Spirit level for marking up"

http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/home.nsf/pa...it_Level_Ruler

Just bought one of these for the spirit levels in tiling. Don't
bother.

A mystery that one of you may be able to explain is the purpose of the
cutouts on the ruler. They are obviously meant to be highly useful and
vital.

Starting from the LH side there are 4 holes in increasing diameter
marked with a symbol like a small o with a foward slash through it,
and numbers 6.8.10.and 12.
Drill diameters?

Next is a horizontal diamond with " 6.5*6.5" on it.

Next is a triangle with " 8.7" on it.

Next is a flattened sphere,(can't remember what its called), with
"10*16" on it.

*******************************
At the other end of the ruler are three holes marked with this o
foward slash and 5. They are marked as 72mm apart.

The packaging shows these holes relate to some piece of equipment in
the form of a white triangular wedge shaped thing with three
depressions and holes in the bottom of the depressions. The three
holes coincide exactly with the holes in the depressions. Wifey says
it's a triple block of continental 2 pin electrical sockets.

So the three holes in the ruler coincide with the holes in a triple
continental socket, viewed vertically.

I face sleepless nights unless someone can explain at least 4 of these
terrifying mysteries to me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

EricP wrote:
http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/home.nsf/pa...it_Level_Ruler
Just bought one of these for the spirit levels in tiling. Don't
bother.

It's 2 quid for a multi-function thing, much functionality of
which is N/A to tiling. They, or the other one, also had a
"level" with a steel rule on one end, rivetted on so it would
swivel. I've no idea why. Do you need more than a good level
and a tape for tiling? One of these is OK for pictures, etc. -
I bought a short B&Q level for my young son as it was cheaper
than a real toy, and has some basic functionality.

A mystery [snip]
I face sleepless nights unless someone can explain at least 4 of these
terrifying mysteries to me.

They're explained on the inside of the (minimal) packaging,
which you threw away, in 14 different languages including
Chinglish.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
EricP

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 14:43:34 +0100, Chris Bacon
wrote:

They're explained on the inside of the (minimal) packaging,
which you threw away, in 14 different languages including
Chinglish.

Mine didn't have any, just a long bit of printed cardboard stapled to
it! I wish I had the instructions, I could learn Chinglish!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

EricP wrote:

I face sleepless nights unless someone can explain at least 4 of these
terrifying mysteries to me.

There's an old saying...small things occupy small minds. ;-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
woodglass

You think you've got a problem !!!

I bought the twin organiser, and there's no way the kids will fit into it !
:-)

http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/home.nsf/pa...win_Organiser_

woodglass...

"EricP" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
mouldy man

It sounds similar to the "Multifunction Water Scale" or to you amd me
a spirit level, that my dear wife bought me a few months ago from
LIDL.

Its in essence a 80cm spirit level, that apears to be robust and quite
heavy. It has 3 spirit level philes set at horizontal, 1.5:100 and
3.5:100

It also has a vertical spirit level on one end.

On the other end it also has a vertical spirit level that rotates with
a 600mm long arm, that you can use like a variable square. Not sure
what for thou.

No instuctions, only picture on the box that shows a kitchen, a
bathroom and some ceramiv tiles.

The strange thing is that the 600mm long arm also has a small vertical
and a horizontal spirit phile. It also has a line a 6 holes approx 4mm
dia that are spaced apart 72mm 72mm 100mm 72mm and I guess 72mm
(because one of the spirit philes is cut straight thru the printed
distance.

Within the main spirit level there are 2 dog bone shaped cutouts, no
problem, its where you would pick it up. But there are 2 funny shaped
plastic indictors that are clipped in for safe keeping. These plastic
bits slide up and down the 600mm arm.

Does any one have any instructions as it does seem far to complicated.

I think I might use it for bricklaying, and accidently hit it with a
mallet, and tell the wife off for buying it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
EricP

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 13:50:48 GMT, mouldy man wrote:

[...]

We could start a club!

The Confused Levellers Club.

[Tool review] - Laser level Andy Dingley UK diy 3 April 5th 06 09:58 PM
Rollie's Dad's method artfulbodger Metalworking 73 May 17th 05 11:14 PM
level mystery Silvan Woodworking 37 January 31st 05 12:55 AM
Level a lathe Cliff Metalworking 0 December 16th 04 01:38 AM
Laser level??? Sorta........ Tom Metalworking 9 December 30th 03 10:19 AM