Cliff

Default Level a lathe

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 07:25:32 -0600, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

Gunner told me to ask this group. Any other comments on my question and this
answer from RCM?

Also, my level pads are steel hockey pucks, most likely shop built. Is there
a better material for pads that absorbs vibration?

Karl

We want to get the best possible accuracy out of "THE BEAST", my 22x72
Mazak CNC lathe.

So what tools do I need to accurately level the machine and how do I
do it?

Karl

You need: 1) a precision machinists level, 2) vibration absorbing
leveling pads, 3) a big-assed wrench (3' handle)

Procedu
Remove the rear cover. Place the level on one of the Z axis ways in the
Z direction. Level the machine at first using only the outside 4
leveling pads in both directions, but keeping some weight on the center
pads (if equiped).
After level with the four outside pads, apply weight to the center (if
there) with the level oriented in the X direction until you *just* see
the bubble move, then lower them again until the bubble *just* returns to
it's original position.

On somethng that size (22x72) might it not be wise to install
concrete footings and bolt to them? If off-balance work is being
considered ..

Have the owner's installation manual? Should be available from
Mazak? Always a good place to start.

Note: crossposted to rec.crafts.metalworking
--
Cliff

Craftsman 101.07403 12" Lathe Terry G Metalworking 2 March 16th 04 09:17 AM
Lathe price Cuezilla Metalworking 13 October 6th 03 06:42 PM
A Video for Beginners (a bit long) Fred Holder Woodturning 1 September 30th 03 09:37 PM
Club lathe reccomendations WANTED Bob Hewson Woodturning 2 July 14th 03 12:15 AM