Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default FA: ridgid pipe tools, belsaw sharpener, linotype alloy

here are the links, should you have the interest:

pipe cutter http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=320579962863
Pipe reamer

Linotype alloy

Belsaw 300 sharpener

Bill -
www.wbnoble.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill Noble" wrote in message
here are the links, should you have the interest:

pipe cutter
Pipe reamer

Linotype alloy

Belsaw 300 sharpener

Bill -
www.wbnoble.com

Is the linotype from your buddy Bob? I bought some separators from him,
VERY nice stuff! I've been using 75% wheel weights and 25% Bob's separators
alloy. Do you know how much more he has? I wouldn't mind some more for
stock, someday there won't be ANY linotype anywhere.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 00:05:46 -0700, "Bill Noble"
wrote:

here are the links, should you have the interest:

pipe cutter http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=320579962863
Pipe reamer

Linotype alloy

Belsaw 300 sharpener

Bill..is that fairly hard lynotype or is it pretty much worn out? Id
love to have 60 lbs of it if its nice and hard

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

here are the links, should you have the interest:

pipe cutter
Pipe reamer

Linotype alloy

Belsaw 300 sharpener

Bill..is that fairly hard lynotype or is it pretty much worn out? Id
love to have 60 lbs of it if its nice and hard

Gunner

I can test it if you like, I have a few ingots left...nice stuff!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 14:55:40 -0400, "Buerste" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

here are the links, should you have the interest:

pipe cutter
Pipe reamer

Linotype alloy

Belsaw 300 sharpener

Bill..is that fairly hard lynotype or is it pretty much worn out? Id
love to have 60 lbs of it if its nice and hard

Gunner

I can test it if you like, I have a few ingots left...nice stuff!

You bought some of his linotype?

If you say its good stuff..Ill take your word on it.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

here are the links, should you have the interest:

pipe cutter
Pipe reamer

Linotype alloy

Belsaw 300 sharpener

Bill..is that fairly hard lynotype or is it pretty much worn out? Id
love to have 60 lbs of it if its nice and hard

Gunner

I can test it if you like, I have a few ingots left...nice stuff!

Oh..the only reason I brought it up..I bought a couple hundred pounds of
"good linotype" some years ago..and it was slightly softer than
wheelweights. About the consistancy of lard at 80F

Paid serious money for it too. I wasnt happy to have paid that much cash
for something I wound up shooting out of the muzzleloaders......

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 14:55:40 -0400, "Buerste" wrote:

. ..
wrote:

here are the links, should you have the interest:

pipe cutter
Pipe reamer

Linotype alloy

Belsaw 300 sharpener

Bill..is that fairly hard lynotype or is it pretty much worn out? Id
love to have 60 lbs of it if its nice and hard

Gunner

I can test it if you like, I have a few ingots left...nice stuff!

Oh..the only reason I brought it up..I bought a couple hundred pounds of
"good linotype" some years ago..and it was slightly softer than
wheelweights. About the consistancy of lard at 80F

Paid serious money for it too. I wasnt happy to have paid that much cash
for something I wound up shooting out of the muzzleloaders......

Gunner

You got snookered! You can't scratch this stuff with your fingernail. But,
I'll have roger run a hardness test on it. The separators have a higher tin
content.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Aya..I got ****ed actually.

$2 a pound for 250 lbs of flashing lead with 25 lbs of wheelweights
mixed into the mix.

I didnt have a chance to actually test the stuff..it was delivered by a
friend who dumped it off and took a check from my wife while I was
working in LA. The seller was only somewhat known to my buddy. He got
****ed too, but for a lot less lead/money.

So Im always a bit...anxious about "linotype"

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote in message

"Bill Noble" wrote in message
here are the links, should you have the interest:

pipe cutter
Pipe reamer

Linotype alloy

Belsaw 300 sharpener

Bill -
www.wbnoble.com

Is the linotype from your buddy Bob? I bought some separators from him,
VERY nice stuff! I've been using 75% wheel weights and 25% Bob's
separators alloy. Do you know how much more he has? I wouldn't mind some
more for stock, someday there won't be ANY linotype anywhere.

Yes, its from the same source, if you have his number, feel free to call and
get some more - the ebay starting price is what he sold it to you for, so go
direct to him.

Oh, by the way, here is another thing of interest to this group

a mitutoyo probe to go with the 192 series height gauges - it's like a super
precision indicator - could be useful for machine automation also

I also picked up a huge new, factory sealed Mitutoyo micrometer head, .0002
resolution with two counters on the head - I can't find it in the catalog,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:
I didnt have a chance to actually test the stuff.

So Im always a bit...anxious about "linotype"

Ah - if I were I linotype seller (Bill ... ?), I'd take this as a
marketing lesson and sell my stuff in its original form (type sticks),
rather than melted into ingots. The buyer could be sure that it was
linotype.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 30, 5:25*am, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Gunner Asch wrote:

*I didnt have a chance to actually test the stuff.

So Im always a bit...anxious about "linotype"

Ah - if I were I linotype seller (Bill ... ?), I'd take this as a
marketing lesson and sell my stuff in its original form (type sticks),
rather than melted into ingots. *The buyer could be sure that it was
linotype.

Bob

But the alloy in type isn't always linotype. Had some type I got from
a scrap dealer that was separate pieces, not cast in lines, had to
change my alloy composition considerably to get it to cast right,
seemed like it was a lot higher in tin. I've bought linotype ingots,
with the loop in the end, that stuff worked out pretty well for making
#2 alloy.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 17:09:24 -0400, Bob Engelhardt

But the alloy in type isn't always linotype. Had some type I got from
a scrap dealer that was separate pieces, not cast in lines, ...

Real linotype (line-of-type) is never in individual letter pieces. That
would be just plain "type". I'd guess that the plain type alloy is
harder than the linotype, since each piece is reused over and over.

Bob

Monotype or one of the wierd nickle alloys

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Gunner Asch wrote:
I didnt have a chance to actually test the stuff.

So Im always a bit...anxious about "linotype"

Ah - if I were I linotype seller (Bill ... ?), I'd take this as a
marketing lesson and sell my stuff in its original form (type sticks),
rather than melted into ingots. The buyer could be sure that it was
linotype.

Bob

well, those who bought from me know what they got. The original form is a
long ingot with a loop on the end that dips into the melt tank - those are
all gone. what is left is 2.5 pound ingots. and for under $2 per pound, I
am not going to send them out for assay. I have separators and I have the
type alloy, maybe a small amount of monotype too though that is mostly
gone - monotype alloy depends on the letter size. If you want linotype, you
can bid on the item, contact me directly, or decide to go elsewhere, of
course.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill Noble wrote:

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote
Ah - if I were I linotype seller (Bill ... ?), I'd take this as a
marketing lesson and sell my stuff in its original form (type sticks),
rather than melted into ingots. The buyer could be sure that it was
linotype.

well, those who bought from me know what they got. ...

Bill, I'm not suggesting that your buyers didn't get honest-to-god 100%
linotype. I'm saying that the people who haven't bought from you (e.g.,
Gunner), and especially the people who don't know you (i.e., most of
your prospective eBay buyers) might feel more assured that they were
bidding on the real stuff if it was type sticks, rather than melted down
into ingots.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Bill Noble wrote:

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote
Ah - if I were I linotype seller (Bill ... ?), I'd take this as a
marketing lesson and sell my stuff in its original form (type sticks),
rather than melted into ingots. The buyer could be sure that it was
linotype.

well, those who bought from me know what they got. ...

Bill, I'm not suggesting that your buyers didn't get honest-to-god 100%
linotype. I'm saying that the people who haven't bought from you (e.g.,
Gunner), and especially the people who don't know you (i.e., most of your
prospective eBay buyers) might feel more assured that they were bidding on
the real stuff if it was type sticks, rather than melted down into ingots.

Bob

point taken, but once they are ingots, it's hard to unmelt them and turn
them back into sticks or other forms - these ingots have been that way for
decades. I sold the larger stuff first to help my friend make space, then
we sold the larger type faces of monotype to folks who used it for art, or
had printing presses, then we sold the smaller monotype for bullets (a bit
harder than linotype), and now we are trying to get rid of the last pile,
which is these ingots.