Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

Default FA: ridgid pipe tools, belsaw sharpener, linotype alloy

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Bill Noble wrote:

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote
Ah - if I were I linotype seller (Bill ... ?), I'd take this as a
marketing lesson and sell my stuff in its original form (type sticks),
rather than melted into ingots. The buyer could be sure that it was
linotype.

well, those who bought from me know what they got. ...

Bill, I'm not suggesting that your buyers didn't get honest-to-god 100%
linotype. I'm saying that the people who haven't bought from you (e.g.,
Gunner), and especially the people who don't know you (i.e., most of your
prospective eBay buyers) might feel more assured that they were bidding on
the real stuff if it was type sticks, rather than melted down into ingots.

Bob

point taken, but once they are ingots, it's hard to unmelt them and turn
them back into sticks or other forms - these ingots have been that way for
decades. I sold the larger stuff first to help my friend make space, then
we sold the larger type faces of monotype to folks who used it for art, or
had printing presses, then we sold the smaller monotype for bullets (a bit
harder than linotype), and now we are trying to get rid of the last pile,
which is these ingots.