Building a Homemade Fuel-Injection System on a Briggs and Stratton 5 HP Engine

Old July 23rd 04, 06:36 PM
T.C. Mann

Default Building a Homemade Fuel-Injection System on a Briggs and Stratton 5 HP Engine

Hello,

I would like to know if anyone has ever tried to implement a FI system
for use on a small lawn mower engine. What would be involved in doing
this and would it work? Are there any DIY sites that discuss this or
are plans available? Any other good references? Thanks a bunch.

Old July 23rd 04, 07:01 PM
Jim Stewart

T.C. Mann wrote:
Hello,

I would like to know if anyone has ever tried to implement a FI system
for use on a small lawn mower engine. What would be involved in doing
this and would it work? Are there any DIY sites that discuss this or
are plans available? Any other good references? Thanks a bunch.

The closest I've heard is adapting a Honda
4 cyl ECU and injectors to work in a 2 cyl
motorcycle engine. It worked, but I don't
have any links for you.

Old July 23rd 04, 08:32 PM
Todd Rearick

You know...I've wondered the same thing. I have an old Toro lawn mower that
I use for odd jobs around the house. I think it was made in '75 or there
abouts. Anway, It's a bit finicky to get started...easy to flood and really
touchy to adjust the choke right. I'm sure most would call me crazy, but I
think it would be a fun project to build a FI system for it.

Sorry...I don't really have any info or links...just moral support.

Old July 23rd 04, 10:14 PM
Robert Swinney

Yeah, but the "fun" might go out of it when you tried to make a fuel pump
and adapt it to the engine.

Bob Swinney

Old July 23rd 04, 11:57 PM
Jon Elson

T.C. Mann wrote:

Hello,

I would like to know if anyone has ever tried to implement a FI system
for use on a small lawn mower engine. What would be involved in doing
this and would it work? Are there any DIY sites that discuss this or
are plans available? Any other good references? Thanks a bunch.

We had a team build a hybrid electric car a few years back, for an SAE
national university challenge. The engine and car were donated, so you had
to use those parts. The engine, as I remember, was a Briggs&Stratton
2-cyl engine. The young woman who got herself elected project leader
found an outfit that had been preparing to market small engine EFI systems
when it looked like the EPA was going to require emissions controls on
small engines. They had a kit with the computer and a few other components
that she bought. She hooked up two of the injectors off the Ford Taurus,
used the existing fuel pump in the tank, and one of the O2 sensors off the
original engine, calibrated the thing, and it worked. I was rather amazed
at the expertise of a 21-yr old mechanical engineer to pull this off!
(The graduate-level electrical engineer working on the electronics for
the main DC motor drive was ALL wet, ignored all my advice, and
ended up with a car powered by a 90 Hp electric motor plowing sideways
through a room full of people when the main power transistor shorted.
There were people climbing benches and whatever to get out of the way!
Luckily, no injuries on that one.)

Anyway, I do't recall the name of the outfit that made this kit, but it was
apparently a configure-it-yourself setup, with a PC program that would
allow you to do all the calibration, etc.)

Jon

Old July 24th 04, 12:03 AM
Karl Townsend

Just a lead for you.

The fellas that race go carts have this. There's a cart class for "looks
like a briggs- but do what ever you can to it." I've seen super charged
fuel injected units.

karl

Old July 24th 04, 12:17 AM
Jerry Martes

"T.C. Mann" wrote in message
m...
Hello,

I would like to know if anyone has ever tried to implement a FI system
for use on a small lawn mower engine. What would be involved in doing
this and would it work? Are there any DIY sites that discuss this or
are plans available? Any other good references? Thanks a bunch.

T.C.

Have you tried contacting one of the news groups where they deal with
building fuel injections. I've read about guys designing *and* building
their own injection systems. Alt. autos fuel-injection is a start

Jerry