Harbor Freight does it again...

Old January 6th 06, 03:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Harbor Freight does it again...

wrote:
The Seig X2 mini mill (HF item 44991) is a remarkable well made little
machine (I just CNC'd one), certainly no Bridgeport, but a solid little
machine with a convenient R8 spindle. I got this for $359 between a sale
and a 20% coupon, regular $500.

Can anyone give me he specifics on what this 20% e-mail is all about. I
get e-mails from Harbor Freight all the time but nothing like that.

Also, concerning a Mini-mill, I'll need to make some small parts, and
I'm well aware that a mini-mill wouldn't be an adequate machine for
many here, but since I'm a newbie with very little space, and need to
begin somewhere, I was hoping to get reocommendations on what to keep
my eyes open for.(New or used).

I guess that accuracy, XYZ travel length, and ridgidity are all
important, but you can only get so much in such a small machine. But
any advice would be appreciated.

The minimill is probably the best bang for the buck if it fits your work
envelope. Buy new on a deal like the above. I have yet to see one used
at a better deal. R8 collets, endmill set, and maybe an indexable
endmill adds less than $100.

Next step up is the round-column mill-drill. Bigger work envelope,
round-column issues as beaten to death here and elsewhere. But otherwise
a workhorse. About $600 on sale, maybe less combine with a HF coupon.

Next would be the Seig X3. About the same work envelope as a MD, but has
a dovetail column. Big brother to the minimill. $959 intro price at Grizzly.

Then you get to the benchtop knee-mills at about $1500 and up ?
Old January 7th 06, 01:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rex B wrote:
wrote:
[...]

But which particular mini mill would you recommend? 1) The Seig X2, 2)
the "Two Speed Variable Mini Mill/Drill Machine" from Harbor Frieght,
or 3) the "Microlux Milling Machine" from Micro-Mark? (If all three of
them aren't the same machine, which they look to be).

Next step up is the round-column mill-drill. Bigger work envelope,
round-column issues as beaten to death here and elsewhere. But otherwise
a workhorse. About $600 on sale, maybe less combine with a HF coupon.

Too heavy for me.

Next would be the Seig X3. About the same work envelope as a MD, but has
a dovetail column. Big brother to the minimill. $959 intro price at Grizzly.

Too heavy and too pricey for me.

Then you get to the benchtop knee-mills at about $1500 and up ?

Way too heavy and pricey for me.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Old January 8th 06, 12:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7 Jan 2006 05:50:13 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
quickly quoth:

But which particular mini mill would you recommend? 1) The Seig X2, 2)
the "Two Speed Variable Mini Mill/Drill Machine" from Harbor Frieght,
or 3) the "Microlux Milling Machine" from Micro-Mark? (If all three of
them aren't the same machine, which they look to be).

See this comparison for more info, Searcher.
http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_mill/...s/versions.htm
The $379 HF 42976 mill/drill has been discontinued.

--
"Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein
-=-=-
Old January 8th 06, 02:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What most folx don't know is that in last month there's been a radical,
groundbreaking,
momentous development in what us hobby machinists can get here in US.

Drum rolllll ... Grizzly is now carrying Sieg X3 for something like
$900 http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0463

This IS the mill to get. I would, if I didn't have the X2 already.

This thing is just right size & power to fit between X2 and RF45
clones.

It is small enough to fit into any garage/basement, you can move it
around on the bench, you don't have to pay a team of 5 $1000 to get it
down
stairs etc etc.

What it lacks is track record and CNC plans. I am sure we will have CNC
taken care of shortly.

About belt snapping on HF's mini-mill: X2 is direct drive (gears,
mostly plastic).
I converted mine to belt drive and it's been wisper quiet ever since.

The X3 is drive-belt outta-box, a MUCH desired feature. Less noise, the
belt
will absorb load shocks and save the gears (if any). I am not sure if
X3 has
any gears at all, or it is a toothed pulley right on the spindle.

Old January 8th 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On 5 Jan 2006 21:23:03 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
quickly quoth:

The Seig X2 mini mill (HF item 44991) is a remarkable well made little
machine (I just CNC'd one), certainly no Bridgeport, but a solid little
machine with a convenient R8 spindle. I got this for $359 between a sale
and a 20% coupon, regular $500.

Can anyone give me he specifics on what this 20% e-mail is all about. I
get e-mails from Harbor Freight all the time but nothing like that.

I wrote this to Roy last month:

--snip--
How did you get the 20% off coupon?

On their funky, priceless promo sote, Roy. Sign up for free email ads
at
www.harborfreightusa.com .

Top right link says:

FREE
Receive: discounts,
coupons, specials
Click Here

I am not a company, so that doesn't work.(Funny how they still send me
e-mails everyday on discounted stuff I don't need.

I've been looking at the mini-mills(or Mill/drills) that are all
supposed to come from the same factory in China, and noticed slight
differences the posted images/claims of these machines even though they
are supposed to be the same.

http://www.cumminstools.com/browse.cfm/4,1485.htm
http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares...oduct&ID=82573

Can I get recommendations from anyone that has had experience with
these?

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Old January 8th 06, 06:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

P.S: I made tree attempts to post thsi question in another thread(via
Google), but for some reason the posts are not showing up.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Old January 8th 06, 07:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On 7 Jan 2006 05:50:13 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
quickly quoth:

But which particular mini mill would you recommend? 1) The Seig X2, 2)
the "Two Speed Variable Mini Mill/Drill Machine" from Harbor Frieght,
or 3) the "Microlux Milling Machine" from Micro-Mark? (If all three of
them aren't the same machine, which they look to be).

See this comparison for more info, Searcher.
http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_mill/...s/versions.htm
The $379 HF 42976 mill/drill has been discontinued.

I had already read that page twice, and though these are all supposed
to come from the same factory in China, I noticed slight differences in