Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Harbor Freight does it again...

John P. wrote:
On 9 Jan 2006 19:59:04 -0800, wrote:

I really had no intention of going over $450 with shipping, and was
thinking that a used machine from eBay was my best shot, but now I
wonder if I should save up some more and as a result have to wait a
while, or continue to look for a used(cheap) one so I can get started
on my projects which are way overdue. Anything approaching 200lbs would
have to be broken down and carried up a lot of stairs by one person,
piece by piece and then put back together. Is this plausible with
something like the Grizzly G0463?

Darren,

If you don't mind my asking, what are you going to use the milling
machine for?

A variety of different projects, and I'm attempting to future-proof a
little.

Considering that the little HF Mini Mill works great for me, and a lot
of other folks, it makes me wonder if your application is going to be
so tolerance critical that you really need to spend a lot more money
and go through the pain of moving a heavier machine?

A need for hand trucks and hoists would put any machine off the list of
possibilities.(Even if I didn't have narrow stairs, tight turns, and
small windows). But I have no problem lugging 180lbs dumb bells up the
stairs, so if I figured that if I could break down a machine like that
to more manageable pieces, then I shouldn't ahve any problems. I'd just
have to save up a grand to get one.(Unless a better used option comes
around). :-)

Since I want to work a lot with Stainless steel(303, 304, 316L) I want
to be sure I have a machine that will be able to handle those
materials.

BTW. I e-mailed Harbor Freight and asked if their Micro Mill/Drill(Item
47158-0VGA) would have any problem drilling through 1/4" stainless(316)
with a 1/4" bit and I received the following reply: "3/8" is the
drilling capacity so 1/4" should be no problem."

I'm not sure if that answered my question, but I do now have a
Rotabroach(and 5 ton punch press) for things I wouldn't be able to do
with a small mill.

(Then again, I also don't yet have a metal lathe).

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.