Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

Default Harbor Freight does it again...

On 8 Jan 2006 08:43:21 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
quickly quoth:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On 5 Jan 2006 21:23:03 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
quickly quoth:

The Seig X2 mini mill (HF item 44991) is a remarkable well made little
machine (I just CNC'd one), certainly no Bridgeport, but a solid little
machine with a convenient R8 spindle. I got this for $359 between a sale
and a 20% coupon, regular $500.

Can anyone give me he specifics on what this 20% e-mail is all about. I
get e-mails from Harbor Freight all the time but nothing like that.

I wrote this to Roy last month:

--snip--
How did you get the 20% off coupon?

On their funky, priceless promo sote, Roy. Sign up for free email ads
at
www.harborfreightusa.com .

Top right link says:

FREE
Receive: discounts,
coupons, specials
Click Here

I am not a company, so that doesn't work.(Funny how they still send me
e-mails everyday on discounted stuff I don't need.

I didn't sign up as a company. BTW, the last mailer I got from them
had a 20% off coupon on the top right side of the front page. No
email necessary.

I've been looking at the mini-mills(or Mill/drills) that are all
supposed to come from the same factory in China, and noticed slight
differences the posted images/claims of these machines even though they
are supposed to be the same.

http://www.cumminstools.com/browse.cfm/4,1485.htm
http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares...oduct&ID=82573

Can I get recommendations from anyone that has had experience with
these?

I'm in the same boat as you are. Wanting, but haven't bought one yet.
Since the HF store is within driving range, I'm strongly leaning
toward their model. The Cummins model is $100 cheaper but comes with a
$109 shipping fee, and I don't really trust the company having seen
their tent sales fly through town. There would be no support at all.
In the higher price range, the Minilux starts closing in on its larger
brother, Grizzly's G0463. That looks fascinating for a grand (which I
don't have.)

Maybe I'll just bite the bullet, clean us some room in the shop, save
up some gas money, and wander on down to Gunners for that old Gorton
mill and a REAL drill press some day soon.

--
"Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein
-=-=-