What tool to use to cut stair nose?

Old November 17th 04, 08:20 PM
someone

Default What tool to use to cut stair nose?

I am thinking to put some 5/16" hardwood floor on my stairs.
I have to cut off the nose from the 1" ply treads in order
to put the hardwood nose on it.

Some web site I visited suggested to cut the nose with a
circular saw. But I did some cutting with a cheap ($40) Sears
Craftsman circular saw before,and I never cut anything straight,
both horizontally and vertically. I wonder if it would make a
difference with a more expensive one. And I would avoid to use
the circular saw if I can.

Would a cheap reuter or recip saw cut the 1" ply nose? I don't
have much experience with wordwork. But I can't find a contractor
just doing that.

I may also need that tool for a sink cutout on the kitchen counter.

Thanks for any help.

Old November 17th 04, 09:12 PM
Colbyt

"someone" wrote in message

I am thinking to put some 5/16" hardwood floor on my stairs.
I have to cut off the nose from the 1" ply treads in order
to put the hardwood nose on it.

Some web site I visited suggested to cut the nose with a
circular saw. But I did some cutting with a cheap ($40) Sears
Craftsman circular saw before,and I never cut anything straight,
both horizontally and vertically. I wonder if it would make a
difference with a more expensive one. And I would avoid to use
the circular saw if I can.

Would a cheap reuter or recip saw cut the 1" ply nose? I don't
have much experience with wordwork. But I can't find a contractor
just doing that.

Of the tools you mentioned, the circ saw with a rip guide, sharp blade and
slow motion will cut the straightest line. I take it these are open stairs?
I ask because a circ saw is going to stop cutting about 1.25" from a
perpendicular wall or obstruction.

Colbyt

Old November 17th 04, 09:29 PM
someone

Colbyt wrote:
"someone" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks.

The stair I have is not open. There are stringers on both sides.

Aside from being a bit nervious on circular saw, I am also concerned
that I might cut into a riser below when cutting the nose off.

Do a good curcular saw ($100+) and the cheap one I have ($40) make big
difference for this job? What is the difference between them anyway?

Old November 17th 04, 11:58 PM
Roger

I am thinking to put some 5/16" hardwood floor on my stairs.
I have to cut off the nose from the 1" ply treads in order
to put the hardwood nose on it.

Some web site I visited suggested to cut the nose with a
circular saw. But I did some cutting with a cheap ($40) Sears
Craftsman circular saw before,and I never cut anything straight,
both horizontally and vertically. I wonder if it would make a
difference with a more expensive one. And I would avoid to use
the circular saw if I can.

rec.woodworking is a good newsgroup for this kind of question.

Old November 18th 04, 04:51 AM
Bob K 207

I am thinking to put some 5/16" hardwood floor on my stairs.
I have to cut off the nose from the 1" ply treads in order
to put the hardwood nose on it.

Every power tool I can think of will stop cutting when the body of the runs
into the side of the stairs. A good circular saw is a good choice; forget the
recip saw.

You could rough cut it with the cheap circular saw & then finish up with a
flush cutting router bit that has bearing to guide against the lower riser.

You still have to contend with the "un-cut" section at each end of the tread.

Sharp chisel & patience could do the end work. How many treads? 12?

since you're covering the treads with flooring, could you pull out the treads &
rip the nose off on a table saw & re-install?

Bob
Old November 18th 04, 03:42 PM
Charles Spitzer

"Bob K 207" wrote in message

[...]

rough cut it, then shape using a belt sander. they make sanders that can get
very close to edges (using a very small front roller). be prepared for an
immense amount of dust.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az

Old November 18th 04, 04:11 PM
someone

Charles Spitzer wrote:
"Bob K 207" wrote in message

[...]

I am dealing with a ply stair, so I can't chisel. Sanding out that last
part is not easy, I guess.

What I was thinking is use a drill bit (drill saw) and cut through the
parts near the stringers. Then sand off the rough part.

I have 12 treads. This is a stair to the basement.If this is successful,
I'll try to rip out the carpet on the stair leading to the upper floor,
and put the hardwood in.

What kind of router do you think I should get, considering this is one
or two time job? I am still trying to avoid using a circular saw for
this job.

Do you think 5/16" hardwoord at:
http://www.ifloor.com/productdisplay...101499&N=3+138
is a good choice for stair?

Thanks.

y.

Old November 18th 04, 04:30 PM
Joe Bobst

a circ saw is going to stop cutting about 1.25" from a
perpendicular wall or obstruction.

Finish it off with a flush cut handsaw, HTH

Joe

Old November 18th 04, 05:33 PM
max

Why don't you take some 3/4 stock and use a 3/4 ball bit and route the curve
of the bullnose in reverse and then nail and glue it on and then sand it
flat.
max

Old November 18th 04, 10:02 PM
Dave jackson

Bosch makes a real nice flush trimming saw....

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...?v=glance&s=hi

I love the thing, it can boldly go where no saw has gone before. Although
i've never tried it on stair nosing, it has been used to cut hundreds of
factory interior window sills out to make way for our custom sills. Nice
clean even
cuts flush to the jamb. I use it for undercutting casing / doorjambs to
make way for tile or hardwood floors to. Check it out, it's a
eeper! --dave