someone

Charles Spitzer wrote:
"Bob K 207" wrote in message

I am thinking to put some 5/16" hardwood floor on my stairs.
I have to cut off the nose from the 1" ply treads in order
to put the hardwood nose on it.

Every power tool I can think of will stop cutting when the body of the
runs
into the side of the stairs. A good circular saw is a good choice; forget
the
recip saw.

You could rough cut it with the cheap circular saw & then finish up with a
flush cutting router bit that has bearing to guide against the lower
riser.

You still have to contend with the "un-cut" section at each end of the
tread.

Sharp chisel & patience could do the end work. How many treads? 12?

since you're covering the treads with flooring, could you pull out the
treads &
rip the nose off on a table saw & re-install?

Bob

rough cut it, then shape using a belt sander. they make sanders that can get
very close to edges (using a very small front roller). be prepared for an
immense amount of dust.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az

I am dealing with a ply stair, so I can't chisel. Sanding out that last
part is not easy, I guess.

What I was thinking is use a drill bit (drill saw) and cut through the
parts near the stringers. Then sand off the rough part.

I have 12 treads. This is a stair to the basement.If this is successful,
I'll try to rip out the carpet on the stair leading to the upper floor,
and put the hardwood in.

What kind of router do you think I should get, considering this is one
or two time job? I am still trying to avoid using a circular saw for
this job.

Do you think 5/16" hardwoord at:
http://www.ifloor.com/productdisplay...101499&N=3+138
is a good choice for stair?