Bench grinder tool and lawn mower blades

Old September 11th 04, 04:27 AM
raymondj

Default Bench grinder tool and lawn mower blades

Does anyone use a bench grinder to sharpen lawn mower blades? If so
can you tell me your recommendation and experiences. I am looking for
something where I can get the angle right and won't take forever (like
with a dremel.) I have a bunch of blades to sharpen each year and I
just want to bang them out (and not have to drive to the shop and wait
2 weeks for them to be sharpened.)

I see the Delta sharpening kit has terrible reviews (as do most of the
delta bench grinders.) I did see a special bench grinder with a jig
made for lawn mower blades to set the angle, but the unit was close to
$300.

Can any of the Jet, Baldor, etc be equipped to easily sharpen blades
accurately?
Old September 11th 04, 04:32 AM
Greg

I do mine by eye, just trying to match the original angle. I set the little
guide in gront of the wheel if I am really serious but I am usually just trying
to get the dings out.
Old September 11th 04, 05:00 AM
Greg O

"raymondj" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone use a bench grinder to sharpen lawn mower blades? If so
can you tell me your recommendation and experiences.

I used too run a small engine shop, so I have sharpened a ton of mower
blades.
Yes, a common bench grider will do a good job, but one day I grabed my
4-1/2" DeWalt angle grinder to sharpen a blade and never used the bench
grinder again! Clamp the blade in a bench vice, hold the grinder with both
hands, use the accessory handle, hold the grinder against you stomach for
extra stability, and grind away! I can sharpen blades that look like they
were done on a machine. With a little practice you will get the knack of
holding the grinder so the angle stays constant. Instead of moving the
grinder with my hands I sway back and forth moving my weight from my right
and left foot.
I have had people ask what kind of sharpening machine I use because the
blades look so good!
A good friend, that mows lawns for a living, sharpens blades the same after
watching me do it.
DeWalt 4-1/2" angle grinder, about $90.
Greg

Old September 11th 04, 05:11 AM
Edwin Pawlowski

"raymondj" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone use a bench grinder to sharpen lawn mower blades? If so
can you tell me your recommendation and experiences. I am looking for
something where I can get the angle right and won't take forever

Belt sander. Takes about 45 seconds a side. Put the blade in a vice and
give it a grinding with a course grit paper.

Just follow the existing angle as best you can.

Old September 11th 04, 03:45 PM
JerryMouse

raymondj wrote:
Does anyone use a bench grinder to sharpen lawn mower blades? If so
can you tell me your recommendation and experiences. I am looking for
something where I can get the angle right and won't take forever (like
with a dremel.) I have a bunch of blades to sharpen each year and I
just want to bang them out (and not have to drive to the shop and wait
2 weeks for them to be sharpened.)

Use anything, from a hand file up to a milling machine.

You're not going to use the result to plane antique mahogany furniture, for
heaven's sake - you're cutting grass!

Old September 11th 04, 06:02 PM
Greg

You're not going to use the result to plane antique mahogany furniture, for
heaven's sake - you're cutting grass!

My thoughts exactly. It's just grass.

There is so much sand in my yard that I end up wearing out a blade in a year
anyway. I sand blast away so much metal that the tips fly off if I don't.
Old September 12th 04, 12:31 AM
xrongor

if you cant get it sharp enough with a hand file without removing the blade,
you will likely throw the blade out of balance unless you take steps to
prevent this. this will shorten engine life at best and kill you at worst.

randy

om...

Old September 12th 04, 02:09 AM
Stormin Mormon

Don't need accurate. Just grind the bevel side.

Drive a nail in the wall behind your work bench. Hang the blade on the nail
(nail goes through the center mounting bolt hole). Make sure the blade
doesn't rub on the wall.

Hold the blade horizontal, and then let go with your hands. One end of the
blade will go down. That's the heavy end. Grind on the heavy end for a
couple more seconds.

Repeat until the blade hangs horizontal.

Remit $48.50 for consultation, please.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus