Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Faucet seat installation woes...

Have meeting in a little while; thought I'd have time to fix the
downstairs sink faucet drip before going...wrong!

Couldn't manage to get the new seats into the recesses; as the picture
of a kit linked to shows, the seats have a flair at the bottom and since
the seat housing is an inch or so below the top of the housing, and it's
only the diameter of the cartridge can't do more than stick one finger
down the hole, I could not get them to start...

Anybody here messed w/ one of these with any success...is there an
installation tool that constrains the OD to let you push it into place,
maybe? Didn't find anything in quick look-see...

Gotta' run now, will do some looking in town before coming home after
meeting and a funeral that must attend thereafter so will be a while so
if there are questions and no answers forthcoming, that'll be why....

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 02/22/2017 10:46 AM, dpb wrote:

Couldn't manage to get the new seats into the recesses; as the picture
of a kit linked to shows, the seats have a flair at the bottom and since
the seat housing is an inch or so below the top of the housing, and it's
only the diameter of the cartridge can't do more than stick one finger
down the hole, I could not get them to start...

https://www.ebarnett.com/Sku/133468?cid=SHOP_Barnett_ALL_C&CATARGETID=120259710 000121573&cadevice=c&gclid=CMyD46uSpNICFQKtaQodvkM DnQ

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Feb 2017 10:59:57 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 02/22/2017 10:46 AM, dpb wrote:

Couldn't manage to get the new seats into the recesses; as the picture
of a kit linked to shows, the seats have a flair at the bottom and since
the seat housing is an inch or so below the top of the housing, and it's
only the diameter of the cartridge can't do more than stick one finger
down the hole, I could not get them to start...

https://www.ebarnett.com/Sku/133468?cid=SHOP_Barnett_ALL_C&CATARGETID=120259710 000121573&cadevice=c&gclid=CMyD46uSpNICFQKtaQodvkM DnQ

Will Step 6 here help you?

https://www.thespruce.com/delta-faucet-repair-2718845
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 02/22/2017 11:48 AM, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 22 Feb 2017 10:59:57 -0600, wrote:

On 02/22/2017 10:46 AM, dpb wrote:

Couldn't manage to get the new seats into the recesses; ...

Will Step 6 here help you?

https://www.thespruce.com/delta-faucet-repair-2718845

I'd already tried that and a couple variations thereof before posting;
the OD of the bottom of the replacement seats owing to the flare in them
is such can't get them to start; the edge hangs up and buckles when try
to push.

I tried to find an original OEM kit in town before coming home from the
funeral; no joy, all that anybody has are the Chinese clones. The
originals are not quite the same; they have a thicker body/sidewall but
not so much flare. Unfortunately, it's the top sealing surface that is
worn/rough that's the leak source rather than the other o-rings so
replacing the stem/o-rings and keeping the same seat isn't a solution.

I see Delta has the threaded top portion in a kit that, if removed, I
believe gets access to near the seat level. Unfortunately, nobody has
that in stock and I'm certain these are "growed" in place that they'll
only be coming out with vice grips and such so will need to be replaced
if do take out.

I also did not see any installation tools; I'll see if I can build the
equivalent of a valve compression tool that can use around the seat in
conjunction with the screwdriver trick...should be able to just drill
properly-sized hole in a piece of 1/8" plastic or somesuch...what a
pain...

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

Have meeting in a little while; thought I'd have time to fix the
downstairs sink faucet drip before going...wrong!

Couldn't manage to get the new seats into the recesses; as the picture
of a kit linked to shows, the seats have a flair at the bottom and since
the seat housing is an inch or so below the top of the housing, and it's
only the diameter of the cartridge can't do more than stick one finger
down the hole, I could not get them to start...

Anybody here messed w/ one of these with any success...is there an
installation tool that constrains the OD to let you push it into place,
maybe? Didn't find anything in quick look-see...

i just did a sink that had been dripping for
several years (if we had the handle down straight,
but if we put it off to one side or the other it
would not drip). had the same sort of problem
where trying to get the springs and black rubber
things to fit in. managed to use another small
screwdriver to nudge them enough that they'd go in
when i was pressing down. took a bit of dexterity
that perhaps some people could not manage.

i guess patience is called for. which during
a quick expected fix may not be what you have...

good luck.

the tool i needed the most was the strap wrench.
it was a challenge to get that to fit on the small
faucet top, but by golly it worked once i got the
angle right.

songbird

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

I'd try calling Delta. I've found that faucet manufacturers seem to
have very good customer help centers and in many cases will send you the
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 02/23/2017 9:48 AM, Art Todesco wrote:
On 2/22/2017 4:33 PM, dpb wrote:

I also did not see any installation tools; I'll see if I can build the
equivalent of a valve compression tool that can use around the seat in
conjunction with the screwdriver trick...should be able to just drill
properly-sized hole in a piece of 1/8" plastic or somesuch...what a
pain...

I'd try calling Delta. I've found that faucet manufacturers seem to have
very good customer help centers and in many cases will send you the
parts free.

I manufactured a "tool" yesterday evening; here in a little while SWMBO
will be out of the house the bulk of the afternoon and I'll give that a
shot...if it doesn't help, that would be a next step to try, granted.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 02/23/2017 12:46 PM, dpb wrote:

I manufactured a "tool" yesterday evening; here in a little while SWMBO
will be out of the house the bulk of the afternoon and I'll give that a
shot...if it doesn't help, that would be a next step to try, granted.

That worked _quite_ nicely, thank you very much!!!!

For the record the "tool" was very simple, started with a 3/8" hex nut
and bored the center out to 7/16" (very close to the ID of the seat
receiver). Insert the spring in the seat, press the assembly into the
nut just to the depth of the flange, thus taking the "flare" out.

The spring protudes enough to find the hole and turns out a 20d nail
head was just the right diameter and the shank long-enough to be a good
handle to push the seat/spring out of the nut and into the receptacle
and the constraint was sufficient to get the edges started that just
could not get to happen alone.

10-minute job with the tool; about that to make the tool and had wasted
nearly an hour yesterday morning fooling around without...