Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

Default Sumbitch pain in the ass FAUCET SEAT!

Old style faucet in the bath tub started leaking two weeks ago. (Cold water
side). Changed the washer, but that didn't work. Noticed that the seat felt
a bit rough. Previous owners must've had a gorilla for a plumber, because
the internal hex faces are totally stripped. No way to get the seat wrench
to grip.

Now what? Don't say "replace the entire valve housing". Please.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
Old style faucet in the bath tub started leaking two weeks ago. (Cold

water
side). Changed the washer, but that didn't work. Noticed that the seat

felt
a bit rough. Previous owners must've had a gorilla for a plumber, because
the internal hex faces are totally stripped. No way to get the seat wrench
to grip.

Now what? Don't say "replace the entire valve housing". Please.

Maybe an easyout. It looks like a screw or bolt with reverse threads on it.
As you turn it in the reverse direction , the threads will grip the seat and
turn it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
link.net...

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
Old style faucet in the bath tub started leaking two weeks ago. (Cold

water
side). Changed the washer, but that didn't work. Noticed that the seat

felt
a bit rough. Previous owners must've had a gorilla for a plumber, because
the internal hex faces are totally stripped. No way to get the seat
wrench
to grip.

Now what? Don't say "replace the entire valve housing". Please.

Maybe an easyout. It looks like a screw or bolt with reverse threads on
it.
As you turn it in the reverse direction , the threads will grip the seat
and
turn it.

Thanks - that goes on my list for cold-calling hardware stores tomorrow.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Big Al

[...]

There is another type that looks like a tapered square with little flutes in
it. Just drive it in and turn.

Al

Posted to alt.home.repair
No

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
Old style faucet in the bath tub started leaking two weeks ago. (Cold
water side). Changed the washer, but that didn't work. Noticed that the
seat felt a bit rough. Previous owners must've had a gorilla for a
plumber, because the internal hex faces are totally stripped. No way to
get the seat wrench to grip.

Now what? Don't say "replace the entire valve housing". Please.

Doug - There is also a seat dresser I think its called. A sort of grinder
that will supposedly go in and smooth things over. Also, try a tapered
washer to see if that will help. Some elcheapo faucets do not have removable
seats!

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

"clawfoot tub faucet" search ebay. lots to choose from in case you
break that old seat.
http://search.ebay.com/search/search...&fsop=3&fsoo=1

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"No" wrote in message ...
"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
Old style faucet in the bath tub started leaking two weeks ago. (Cold
water side). Changed the washer, but that didn't work. Noticed that the
seat felt a bit rough. Previous owners must've had a gorilla for a
plumber, because the internal hex faces are totally stripped. No way to
get the seat wrench to grip.

Now what? Don't say "replace the entire valve housing". Please.

Doug - There is also a seat dresser I think its called. A sort of grinder
that will supposedly go in and smooth things over. Also, try a tapered
washer to see if that will help. Some elcheapo faucets do not have
removable seats!

Tapered washer - good idea. As far as "cheap", who knows what's in the wall.
Circa 1956.

Posted to alt.home.repair
NatlHomeServices

it's a fine balance between amount of patience you want to put into
it.

Many times it IS truly easier and quicker to just change out
faucets......some real nice well-built ones I have installed that were
under $60.with a warranty.

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 03:38:54 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

Old style faucet in the bath tub started leaking two weeks ago. (Cold water
side). Changed the washer, but that didn't work. Noticed that the seat felt
a bit rough. Previous owners must've had a gorilla for a plumber, because
the internal hex faces are totally stripped. No way to get the seat wrench
to grip.

Now what? Don't say "replace the entire valve housing". Please.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"NatlHomeServices" wrote in message
it's a fine balance between amount of patience you want to put into
it.

Many times it IS truly easier and quicker to just change out
faucets......some real nice well-built ones I have installed that were
under $60.with a warranty.

Nice price, but my soldering skills have only been practiced in spots with
fabulous access from all sides. This bath situation would require soldering
in very tight quarters through an access panel on the other side of the
wall. Upstate NY - take a guess what 3 plumbers have quoted for labor to
convert this to any new kind of faucet. Go ahead. Guess. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 00:42:45 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"NatlHomeServices" wrote in message
it's a fine balance between amount of patience you want to put into
it.

Many times it IS truly easier and quicker to just change out
faucets......some real nice well-built ones I have installed that were
under $60.with a warranty.

Nice price, but my soldering skills have only been practiced in spots with
fabulous access from all sides. This bath situation would require soldering
in very tight quarters through an access panel on the other side of the
wall. Upstate NY - take a guess what 3 plumbers have quoted for labor to
convert this to any new kind of faucet. Go ahead. Guess. :-)

Use copper compression fittings to make the connections to existing
copper piping. Make up other connections prior to installing the new
faucet.
--
Mr.E
Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young

"No" wrote in message ...
"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
Old style faucet in the bath tub started leaking two weeks ago. (Cold
water side). Changed the washer, but that didn't work. Noticed that the
seat felt a bit rough. Previous owners must've had a gorilla for a
plumber, because the internal hex faces are totally stripped. No way to
get the seat wrench to grip.

Now what? Don't say "replace the entire valve housing". Please.

Doug - There is also a seat dresser I think its called. A sort of grinder
that will supposedly go in and smooth things over. Also, try a tapered
washer to see if that will help. Some elcheapo faucets do not have
removable seats!

Tapered washer - good idea. As far as "cheap", who knows what's in the
wall. Circa 1956.

A seat dresser or reamer is worth a try. You can also try a piece of emery
cloth attached to the end of the stem. It may take several pieces depending
on how bad the seat is. You will have to use the stem without the housing so
you can rotate it at a constant depth. Another possibility is to grind a
taper on an oversize hex wrench to wedge in the seat. Penetrating oil, heat,
and impact can all help free it but use judgement.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

wrote:

[...]

Hmmm....I've used those before. Another idea into the skull. Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

wrote:

"NatlHomeServices" wrote in message
it's a fine balance between amount of patience you want to put into
it.

Many times it IS truly easier and quicker to just change out
faucets......some real nice well-built ones I have installed that were
under $60.with a warranty.

Nice price, but my soldering skills have only been practiced in spots with
fabulous access from all sides. This bath situation would require
soldering
in very tight quarters through an access panel on the other side of the
wall. Upstate NY - take a guess what 3 plumbers have quoted for labor to
convert this to any new kind of faucet. Go ahead. Guess. :-)

You obviously see how hard this is to "repair" and you've pondered for
hours and days on how to fix it yet you seem to be complaining about
the high price you were quoted by 3 plumbers to convert it!? Ever stop
to think why not one but THREE plumbers have quoted you such a high
price?
If it were that easy, EVERYONE could do it.
Bubba

I'm not complaining about what they choose to charge. I'm saying I can't
afford it at the moment. There's a difference between those two things,
although I didn't explain myself clearly. It's around $400, by the way. When
money's abundant here, I'm more than happy to pay people for their skills,
especially plumbers, because there are few things more annoying than
cleaning up a wet basement.