Leigh Knudson

Default Cheapistan Made Tractor Seat Requires Lots of Metal Working

I bought a "fits all" tractor seat from Northern several months ago.
Since I knew it would be struggle to install I put it off as long as
possible. Well I had to do the deed today! There were seven possible
installation positions for the seat base. I hit the right one on the
fourth try. Bolt holes lined up in seven, yes count them seven,
different positions. No instructions included. Now to install the seat
pads to the frame. Threaded holes are not in line with punched holes
in seat base so I have to retap them. Slowly the project comes
together. Hey, It looks pretty good. I climb on and find the seat
slides easlily right off the track and I end up back by the box
scrapper. Relock the latch and find that any major jar of bump causes
it to fail and I go off the back of the tractor, fortunately I have a
steering wheel to hold on to. What a POS! It's too bad there aren't
any tractor seats made in th USA or a least any I can identify. I am
about ready to return the tractor to the owner with the suggestion he
weld the seat adjustment in place because it surely works way too
well. If they can't make a good seat in Cheapistan how could they
make a decent machine tool. Leigh @MarMachine

Carl Byrns

Leigh Knudson wrote:

What a POS! It's too bad there aren't
any tractor seats made in th USA or a least any I can identify.

There are. We have them for the machinery we sell.
Send me your seat cushion bolt pattern and I'll line something up.
Cost about $400 for the cushion and shell.

If they can't make a good seat in Cheapistan how could they
make a decent machine tool.

Is that the ring of enlightenment or the cash register?

-Carl