Question Mark

Default Toilet Blocks Bathroom Door From Fully Opening

Problem: House I recently purchased has a toilet that blocks the
bathroom door from opening fully, by about 1.5". Access to the
bathroom is 21" between open bathroom door and opposite wall.

Rough opening for waste pipe = 14"

Measurement from waste pipe/bowl attachment bolts to bowl front also =
14".

I am trying to find a bowl with measurements less than 14" from
attachment bolts to front of bowl...I'm having no luck.

My only alternatives seem to be moving cast iron waste pipe (have
access in basement) back a few inches) :-( or re-hanging the bathroom
door so it opens out. I have even checked into bi-fold doors, which
would clear the toilet bowl in the bathroom, but cannot find bi-folds
in a 28" size.

Any other options or suggestions?

Thanks -

Mark
Paul Franklin

On 20 Feb 2004 16:33:38 -0800, (Question
Mark) wrote:

Problem: House I recently purchased has a toilet that blocks the
bathroom door from opening fully, by about 1.5". Access to the
bathroom is 21" between open bathroom door and opposite wall.

Rough opening for waste pipe = 14"

Measurement from waste pipe/bowl attachment bolts to bowl front also =
14".

I am trying to find a bowl with measurements less than 14" from
attachment bolts to front of bowl...I'm having no luck.

My only alternatives seem to be moving cast iron waste pipe (have
access in basement) back a few inches) :-( or re-hanging the bathroom
door so it opens out. I have even checked into bi-fold doors, which
would clear the toilet bowl in the bathroom, but cannot find bi-folds
in a 28" size.

Any other options or suggestions?

Thanks -

Mark

You can buy offset floor flanges. They are more common for PVC than
cast iron, but they are available for both. I have seen them with
offsets of as much as 2 inches (at least in PVC). (try searching for
offset closet floor flange). There are disadvantages though...they
clog easier, and some raise the flange too high so you have to put a
spacer under the toilet.

If you have bottom access, it would probably be easiest to rent a
chain cast iron pipe snapper to cut the old pipe, then use a hubless
coupling to transition to PVC set 2 inches closer to the wall. Most
modern toilets are designed for a 12" rough in. If you have access and
there's no framing in the way it really isn't that bad of a job. And
if you're only moving it 2 inches you won't have to patch the floor up
nice since the toilet will cover the old hole.

HTH,

Paul Franklin

HA HA Budys Here

Problem: House I recently purchased has a toilet that blocks the
bathroom door from opening fully, by about 1.5". Access to the
bathroom is 21" between open bathroom door and opposite wall.

Rough opening for waste pipe = 14"

Measurement from waste pipe/bowl attachment bolts to bowl front also =
14".

I am trying to find a bowl with measurements less than 14" from
attachment bolts to front of bowl...I'm having no luck.

My only alternatives seem to be moving cast iron waste pipe (have
access in basement) back a few inches) :-( or re-hanging the bathroom
door so it opens out. I have even checked into bi-fold doors, which
would clear the toilet bowl in the bathroom, but cannot find bi-folds
in a 28" size.

Any other options or suggestions?

Thanks -

Mark

Buy a 24" pre-hung door and 2 2x4's and some sheetrock scraps.

mwlogs

You don't mention, but is your toilet a round or elongated bowl? A round
bowl may be just enough smaller to fit. IT could be that someone has
replaced this once before and used the elongated style. I can't think that
anyone would design and build a house with this problem.

"Question Mark" wrote in message
m...
Problem: House I recently purchased has a toilet that blocks the
bathroom door from opening fully, by about 1.5". Access to the
bathroom is 21" between open bathroom door and opposite wall.

Rough opening for waste pipe = 14"

Measurement from waste pipe/bowl attachment bolts to bowl front also =
14".

I am trying to find a bowl with measurements less than 14" from
attachment bolts to front of bowl...I'm having no luck.

My only alternatives seem to be moving cast iron waste pipe (have
access in basement) back a few inches) :-( or re-hanging the bathroom
door so it opens out. I have even checked into bi-fold doors, which
would clear the toilet bowl in the bathroom, but cannot find bi-folds
in a 28" size.

Any other options or suggestions?

Thanks -

Mark

Joe Bobst

My only alternatives seem to be moving cast iron waste pipe (have access in
basement) back a few inches)

Probably your best option is to reset the critter to the standard 12" from the
wall. Another option for even more clearance is to use a close coupled toilet.
Most old fashioned plumbing houses (where the pros shop) will have the 10" type
toilets. Logically having a good 4" extra would solve your problem. Go for a
quality Kohler unit since their close coupled water savers work great on the
first flush (I've got one in fancy Mexican sand color). The better performance
seems to be related to the design and good glazing of the porcelain. HTH

Joe

Punch

"HA HA Budys Here" wrote in message

[...]

that's what I would do also !

Question Mark

Yes...it is a round bowl. The house is approx. 100 years old. The
current toilet is obviously a replacement for a toilet that, once upon
a time, fit within the bathroom and it's door dimensions.

Thanks very much for the reply.

"mwlogs" wrote in message ...
[...]

Brad Bruce

(Question Mark) wrote in
m:

Yes...it is a round bowl. The house is approx. 100 years old. The
current toilet is obviously a replacement for a toilet that, once upon
a time, fit within the bathroom and it's door dimensions.

Rough opening for waste pipe = 14"

From Ask TOH (This Old House)

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/tvpr...rces/episode/0
,16663,516206-514048,00.html

Check out the picture at the top of the page.

Replacing a 14-inch Rough-in Toilet

Richard helps a homeowner replace a large 1920’s wall-mounted toilet with
a new model designed to fit his existing flange.

Where to Find It
Richard installed a 1.6-GPF Carrollton two-piece toilet (model #CST774S).
It can accommodate a 10-inch, 12-inch or 14-inch rough-in using a special
“Uni-fit” flange attachment. It is manufactured by:

Toto USA, Inc.
1155 Southern Road
Morrow, Georgia 30260
770-282-8686
www.totusa.com

Richard created the spacer to go under the toilet using DuPont Corian
solid surfacing (www.corian.com). He glued two sheets together and planed
the material to the correct height. He then created a template of the
footprint of the toilet and cut the shape using router with a carbide
bit.

Question Mark

Mark) wrote:

[...]

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and cut the cast iron waste pipe
then replace with a 12" rough in using the above-referenced
PVC/hubless coupling combo. Everything is accessible and this solution
seems to be the right one for the long term.

Thanks for all the information everyone offered...truly hepful. I'll
post a followup with results, mishaps, mayhem or drama.

Mark