Question Mark

Default Toilet Blocks Bathroom Door From Fully Opening

Paul Franklin wrote in message . ..
On 20 Feb 2004 16:33:38 -0800, (Question
Mark) wrote:

Problem: House I recently purchased has a toilet that blocks the
bathroom door from opening fully, by about 1.5". Access to the
bathroom is 21" between open bathroom door and opposite wall.

Rough opening for waste pipe = 14"

Measurement from waste pipe/bowl attachment bolts to bowl front also =
14".

I am trying to find a bowl with measurements less than 14" from
attachment bolts to front of bowl...I'm having no luck.

My only alternatives seem to be moving cast iron waste pipe (have
access in basement) back a few inches) :-( or re-hanging the bathroom
door so it opens out. I have even checked into bi-fold doors, which
would clear the toilet bowl in the bathroom, but cannot find bi-folds
in a 28" size.

Any other options or suggestions?

Thanks -

Mark

You can buy offset floor flanges. They are more common for PVC than
cast iron, but they are available for both. I have seen them with
offsets of as much as 2 inches (at least in PVC). (try searching for
offset closet floor flange). There are disadvantages though...they
clog easier, and some raise the flange too high so you have to put a
spacer under the toilet.

If you have bottom access, it would probably be easiest to rent a
chain cast iron pipe snapper to cut the old pipe, then use a hubless
coupling to transition to PVC set 2 inches closer to the wall. Most
modern toilets are designed for a 12" rough in. If you have access and
there's no framing in the way it really isn't that bad of a job. And
if you're only moving it 2 inches you won't have to patch the floor up
nice since the toilet will cover the old hole.

HTH,

Paul Franklin

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and cut the cast iron waste pipe
then replace with a 12" rough in using the above-referenced
PVC/hubless coupling combo. Everything is accessible and this solution
seems to be the right one for the long term.

Thanks for all the information everyone offered...truly hepful. I'll
post a followup with results, mishaps, mayhem or drama.

Mark