Roof tile glue to repair recently cracked clay re-roof tiles (doesit exist?)

Old April 6th 11, 10:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roof tile glue to repair recently cracked clay re-roof tiles (doesit exist?)

I was up on my roof today and despite crawling and trying to be gingerly
with my 250 pound frame, I cracked a few roof tiles.

Actually, they're 're-roof' clay tiles, which, apparently, are thinner
than original roof tiles (they're only about a half-inch thick or less).

I realize I 'should' replace the broken clay tiles ... but I was just
wondering, since the cracks are brand new and all the pieces are
there ... is there any solution that involves simply gluing them back
together?

Just wondering if that's a viable alternative for minor roof repairs?
Old April 6th 11, 11:01 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron FIsher wrote:
I was up on my roof today and despite crawling and trying to be gingerly
with my 250 pound frame, I cracked a few roof tiles.

Actually, they're 're-roof' clay tiles, which, apparently, are thinner
than original roof tiles (they're only about a half-inch thick or less).

I realize I 'should' replace the broken clay tiles ... but I was just
wondering, since the cracks are brand new and all the pieces are
there ... is there any solution that involves simply gluing them back
together?

Just wondering if that's a viable alternative for minor roof repairs?

Silicon paste used as glue? (rub it in firmly at the break surface)
Old April 6th 11, 11:36 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Joe

On Apr 6, 5:01*pm, Sjouke Burry
wrote:
Aaron FIsher wrote:
I was up on my roof today and despite crawling and trying to be gingerly
with my 250 pound frame, I cracked a few roof tiles.

Actually, they're 're-roof' clay tiles, which, apparently, are thinner
than original roof tiles (they're only about a half-inch thick or less)..

I realize I 'should' replace the broken clay tiles ... but I was just
wondering, since the cracks are brand new and all the pieces are
there ... is there any solution that involves simply gluing them back
together?

Just wondering if that's a viable alternative for minor roof repairs?

Silicon paste used as glue? (rub it in firmly at the break surface)

A slow cure 2 part epoxy will actually do a permanent repair on clay
roof tiles. I have used it for some emergency repairs on clay drainage
tile and it is still intact a decade later.

Joe
Old April 7th 11, 12:03 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 6, 5:44*pm, Aaron FIsher wrote:
I was up on my roof today and despite crawling and trying to be gingerly
with my 250 pound frame, I cracked a few roof tiles.

Actually, they're 're-roof' clay tiles, which, apparently, are thinner
than original roof tiles (they're only about a half-inch thick or less).

I realize I 'should' replace the broken clay tiles ... but I was just
wondering, since the cracks are brand new and all the pieces are
there ... is there any solution that involves simply gluing them back
together?

Just wondering if that's a viable alternative for minor roof repairs?

Me thinks the problem was you going up on the roof and
cracking the tiles...

Find someone who is considerably lighter than your 250 pounds
to do future repairs up on your roof...

~~ Evan
Old April 7th 11, 05:48 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 20:28:23 -0700, Oren wrote:

At 225 pound, an a lean fighting Army machine I stay off the tile roof,
unless I need my own personal approval up there.

I'm not sure what a 'personal approval' is, but I had to take down a torn-
apart chimney enclosure.

I have to go back up to snap some pictures the team asked for.

Plus, I have to go up to fix the tiles!

I've learned to walk on the arches - but even then, I crack a few every
time I go up there.

I wonder if a hot-glue gun, which heals in seconds, will take the hot
summer heat?

Old April 7th 11, 01:26 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 6, 5:44*pm, Aaron FIsher wrote:
is there any solution that involves simply gluing them back
together?

It's SOP, according to my roofers.

They say replacement tiles for our 1939 roof run about $80/tile, if
you're lucky enough to find one.
-----

- gpsman
Old April 7th 11, 04:05 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 6, 6:03*pm, Evan wrote:
On Apr 6, 5:44*pm, Aaron FIsher wrote:

I was up on my roof today and despite crawling and trying to be gingerly
with my 250 pound frame, I cracked a few roof tiles.

Actually, they're 're-roof' clay tiles, which, apparently, are thinner
than original roof tiles (they're only about a half-inch thick or less)..

I realize I 'should' replace the broken clay tiles ... but I was just
wondering, since the cracks are brand new and all the pieces are
there ... is there any solution that involves simply gluing them back
together?

Just wondering if that's a viable alternative for minor roof repairs?

Me thinks the problem was you going up on the roof and
cracking the tiles...

Find someone who is considerably lighter than your 250 pounds
to do future repairs up on your roof...

~~ Evan

How about putting a sheet of pywood between the 250 lbs and the roof,
to spread it out. I sure wouldn't walk directly on a tile roof,
unless it belonged to someone else.
Old April 8th 11, 08:12 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 05:26:18 -0700, gpsman wrote:

On Apr 6, 5:44*pm, Aaron FIsher wrote:
is there any solution that involves simply gluing them back together?

It's SOP, according to my roofers.

Interesting. I didn't think anyone actually glued a tile ... but I really
don't want to re-roof the whole section! (I already bought 100
replacement tiles - I just don't really know how to do the re-roofing
part.)

Here is a picture of the newly bought tile shape that needs to be glued.
http://www.upload3r.com/serve/080411/1302288985.jpg

Notice how 'thin' this tile is (US Tile Claymax).

The only problem with the suggested epoxies, I think, is that I would
think we'd need a quick-dry which will 'fix' while I'm still up there on
the roof, holding the parts together with my hand.

Did we come to a consensus as to which glue will:
a) Be strong enough to hold porous tile together
b) Be quick-drying enough to set in a minute or two (while being hand
held)
c) Be durable enough to last the heat and cold cycles on the roof
Old April 8th 11, 09:03 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 8, 3:12*pm, Aaron FIsher wrote:
[...]

Ive glued things together with slow set epoxy that was difficult to
hold in place while the glue was drying by also using a little fast
set glue like a 5 minute epoxy or super clue .Superglue should hold
tiles pretty good.

Jimmie
Old April 8th 11, 09:26 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 13:03:57 -0700, JIMMIE wrote:
Superglue should hold tiles pretty good.

I've never had success with cyanoacrylates on (a) porous surfaces, and
(b) large surfaces.

The problem with cyanacrolates (e.g., superglue) is they the glue itself
is extremely weak. So, while the molecular bonding is fantastic, you
really want a single molecule layer thick of the stuff, no more, no less.

That's really hard to do on rough cracked chipped porous surfaces like a
clay tile, even a recently broken clay tile. So, from 'my' experience,
superglue would be one of the worst possible choices for clay tile.

Besides, we're talking a LOT of (what turns out to be expensive) super
glue! Even if it did work (which I really doubt it would).

But, not to sound condescending, I 'do' welcome the suggestions. I'm
particularly motivated now that you guys tell me roofers habitually glue
roofing tiles (I hadn't expected that).

Is there an epoxy that can set while I'm on the roof holding the tiles
(two minutes or so)?