Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tips needed for exterior house painting

I have a 1.5 story home,
http://www.dongardner.com/plan_details.aspx?pid=163

that has original paint from 2000. I'm pretty sure it's ready for
another as the caulking is cracking and the coverage looks thin.

I live in a somewhat humid area -- NE KS.

What would be the best time of the year to paint? What weather
conditions?

What would be the best paint? I hope this lasts another 10 minimum.

Should I hire a pro? How do I select?

Should I do it myself --- seems like a 4" brush is my most likely
choice.

Do I recaulk over the old caulk/paint? Or dig it all out and start
new?

What sort of prep should I do?

Feel free to direct me to links, etc

Thanks in advance,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 4 Mar 2011 11:58:55 -0800 (PST), kansascats
wrote:

I have a 1.5 story home,
http://www.dongardner.com/plan_details.aspx?pid=163

that has original paint from 2000. I'm pretty sure it's ready for
another as the caulking is cracking and the coverage looks thin.

I live in a somewhat humid area -- NE KS.

What would be the best time of the year to paint? What weather
conditions?

I've always found that clear days with moderate humidity and 50F to 70F works
best, when it doesn't get down below freezing for 24 hours, or so. The idea
is to pick a day when the paint dries completely but not too fast. You want
to maintain a "wet line".

What would be the best paint? I hope this lasts another 10 minimum.

I like Benjamin Moore, but Sherwin Williams has a good rep, too. Spend real
money on paint. It'll pay in the long run.

Should I hire a pro? How do I select?

Your choice. I do it myself. I can't see spending thousand$ on a pro. I'd
rather spend that money on toys. ;-)

Should I do it myself --- seems like a 4" brush is my most likely
choice.

My choice. That and a 2" or 2-1/2" brush for trim and edging. I prefer
angled bristles rather than straight cut.

Do I recaulk over the old caulk/paint? Or dig it all out and start
new?

Anything that's loose has to come out. There is no reason to pry out good
caulk, though.

What sort of prep should I do?

Depends on the condition of the surface. Roughing up the old paint with a
wire brush (will help find loose paint, too) and a good bath is a minimum.

Feel free to direct me to links, etc

I've always had good luck with answers from the people staffing a *real* paint
store.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The only thing I would add is , taking on a WHOLE house as your FIRST real
exterior paint project could be a costly mistake and leave you very
discouraged..If you also work a regular job you will be lucky to finish it
this summer....Oh , one more thing...You're gonna need ALOT more than a 4
inch brush and caulking gun..That is unless the whole house is less than 6
feet tall....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 6 Mar 2011 00:23:39 -0500, "benick" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

On my Vermont house I painted one side a summer. I also sided one side a
summer, but that's a different story.

Oh , one more thing...You're gonna need ALOT more than a 4
inch brush and caulking gun..That is unless the whole house is less than 6
feet tall....

Ladders are cheap, too. ...even good ones. Buy nothing else.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sun, 6 Mar 2011 00:23:39 -0500, "benick" wrote:

. ..

wrote:

[...]

As SLOW as he will be going renting will cost as much as buying...He WILL
need more than one ladder and probably pump jacks...Even I wouldn't attempt
to paint an entire house alone part time...I would atleast hire a couple
helpers...Putting up pump jacks alone is scarey at the very least...Trying
to do it ALL off ladders is PAINFULL on the back and feet as well as slow
and depending on the paint used , it will look like **** with that many over
laps...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 7, 12:55*am, "benick" wrote:
wrote in message

On Sun, 6 Mar 2011 00:23:39 -0500, "benick" wrote:

. ..

wrote:

[...]

laps...- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 7, 12:55*am, "benick" wrote:
wrote in message

On Sun, 6 Mar 2011 00:23:39 -0500, "benick" wrote:

. ..

wrote:

[...]

Did you look at the house? Practically all the painting except for
the dormers is 1 story. No way does he need pump jacks. One
extension ladder to get the dormers and one or two folding ladders
will be fine. Looks like more time will be spent on trim that siding
with all that porch space.

It is a lot of work for one person but if you really devote plenty of
time to it you can be done in a few weekends. I'd start as soon as
the weather permits to avoid the heat of summer. Not to keep the paint
out of the heat but to keep you out of the heat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 7, 8:34*am, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Mar 7, 12:55*am, "benick" wrote:

wrote in message

.. .

On Sun, 6 Mar 2011 00:23:39 -0500, "benick" wrote:

. ..

wrote:

[...]

out of the heat but to keep you out of the heat.- Hide quoted text -

Most important tip is the same as for any paint job: prep work. You
need to scrape away any peeling paint and prime any of those areas.
And you need to make sure the surface is clean and free of all dirt.
For exterior, that usually means power washing it. That brings up
it's
own set of issues, #1 of which is to be careful, not use too much
pressure, or you can damage the wood.

Best weather is moderate temp days, eg Spring and early Fall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 00:55:27 -0500, "benick" wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

No need for pump jacks. Extension ladders work for all but the most difficult
houses and there pump jacks won't help anyhow. It doesn't take *THAT* long to
paint a house.

Bubbles on exterior of house after painting Hun-Yue Wong Home Repair 12 October 25th 09 02:51 PM
Painting house exterior dpb Home Repair 2 May 8th 08 05:40 AM
Painting house exterior ransley Home Repair 2 May 7th 08 08:27 PM
Painting house exterior mreks UK diy 8 July 21st 05 04:29 PM
Need advice - painting exterior of house stepdawn Home Ownership 1 September 14th 04 06:29 PM