Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

stepdawn

Default Need advice - painting exterior of house

I checked Google groups and this group to see if my questions have been
answered and didn't find what I was looking for.

I am in Southern Arizona, Tucson to be exact. We're at about 2300 feet,
with temps ranging from around 20 degrees F to 110 degrees F. We have a 2-3
month monsoon season during which the dew point is over 50 on a daily basis,
but the remainder of the year is fairly dry.

We have a 2300 sq. ft. one story stucco house with wood facia. The house
was built in 2001, so the wall paint is still ok, but the trim is starting
to look pretty bad, and cracking in spots. The sun is brutal here. We also
have some efflorescence on all sides except the north.

I just got a bid from a highly recommended painter for $2675 for the entire
house (trim and walls). This includes caulking, stucco repairs, facia
repairs, drywall repairs, power wash, masking, trenching, and spot priming
as needed.

He wants to use Sherwin Williams A-100 line, satin finish on facia and all
trim (doors, etc) and flat on the rest. I should mention that part of the
trim would be stucco because we have this raised detail work along the
bottom part of the house in the front. I don't know how to describe that
better.

I have been told by the Dunn Edwards dealer in town that using satin finish
on trim is a bad idea because it will not hold up as well. Is this true?

Also, should we choose a different paint? I will pay more to get the best
possible paint for my situation. I don't want this job looking bad in a
couple of years.

Thanks very much for any advice, and apologies because I know it's all been
asked before.

Dawn

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 19:12:29 -0700, someone wrote:

I just got a bid from a highly recommended painter...
He wants to use Sherwin Williams A-100

You have a highly reputable contractor. I'm sure if you don't like
his advise he has other customers.

I have been told by the Dunn Edwards dealer in town that using satin finish
on trim is a bad idea..cut.. should we choose a different paint? I will pay more to get the best

How highly reputable is he? Let him come out and paint your house.
Why were you asking him anyway? Maybe you can get the 1st guy to
charge you more for "premium" paint, then you will feel better that
you paid more and bought the best!

Opinions on this can differ, but if the 1st contractor is so highly
reputable, I doubt he is lying to you. But I suppose you could ask
him to not use satin. I don't think its a good idea to say "but the
Dunn Edwards guy said....." - just ask the reputable contrctor what he
thinks without invoking what somebody else allegedly said.

-v.