Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default What is this called? It's not really flex duct

I was in an appliance parts store and they had several pieces of
heating duct in the corner, including a piece that I will need two of.
This place doesn't sell the stuff. It was just stored there.

It is like a very short rectangular HVAC interior duct, that clamps to
metal ducts at each end, and has 4 inches of heavy vinyl in between.

Like 15x20x4 inches.

Is there a name for what I saw?

It's meant to go between the furnace/AC and the rest of the house
metals ducts, partly so furnace vibration won't get transmitted to the
house. Although it seems not every installer uses them.

The label on it said flex duct but when I looked that up on the
web all I found were long truly flexible ducts with built-in
insulation that contractors now use sometimes to go from the main duct
to individual rooms.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
I was in an appliance parts store and they had several pieces of
heating duct in the corner, including a piece that I will need two of.
This place doesn't sell the stuff. It was just stored there.

It is like a very short rectangular HVAC interior duct, that clamps to
metal ducts at each end, and has 4 inches of heavy vinyl in between.

Like 15x20x4 inches.

Is there a name for what I saw?

It's meant to go between the furnace/AC and the rest of the house
metals ducts, partly so furnace vibration won't get transmitted to the
house. Although it seems not every installer uses them.

The label on it said flex duct but when I looked that up on the
web all I found were long truly flexible ducts with built-in
insulation that contractors now use sometimes to go from the main duct
to individual rooms.

Try flex duct connector or flexible duct connector or duct connector.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 18, 6:45*pm, mm wrote:
[...]

It is used to isolate noise from one part of the system into another
part of the system. It is frequently found on the input and output
sides of the main duct fairly close to the furnace/air conditioning
unit to isolate motor/fan noise.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
mm wrote:

I was in an appliance parts store and they had several pieces of
heating duct in the corner, including a piece that I will need two of.
This place doesn't sell the stuff. It was just stored there.

It is like a very short rectangular HVAC interior duct, that clamps to
metal ducts at each end, and has 4 inches of heavy vinyl in between.

Like 15x20x4 inches.

Is there a name for what I saw?

It's meant to go between the furnace/AC and the rest of the house
metals ducts, partly so furnace vibration won't get transmitted to the
house. Although it seems not every installer uses them.

The label on it said flex duct but when I looked that up on the
web all I found were long truly flexible ducts with built-in
insulation that contractors now use sometimes to go from the main duct
to individual rooms.

Thanks.

I missed the paragraph where you explained why, when you were right
there in an appliance parts store, looking at the exact thing you need,
you didn't say, "Hey, I need a couple of these. What are these called?"
Write that paragraph again.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 17:13:39 -0800, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

mm wrote:
[...]

Hey, that's it. Thanks. Specifically duct connector. I haven't
tried the other names yet.

Strangely, adding "rectangular" and going to the Shopping page mostly
ended up with round connectors surrounded by a rectangular piece of
sheet metal.

And so far I have found images but no residential quality for sale, I
guess because they're bulky to ship and can be fabricated locally?
But even if I don't find any in a catalog, at least I'll know what to
ask for when I call places here. That's great.

Smitty, I did ask the only guy I saw, behind the counter, but he said,
"I don't know. They're not mine."
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
mm wrote:
[...]

"I don't know. They're not mine." *- Hide quoted text -

We call them "box shifters". The people in these stores that is.
They also sell computers.
Posted to alt.home.repair
DT DT is offline

mm wrote:

And so far I have found images but no residential quality for sale, I
guess because they're bulky to ship and can be fabricated locally?
But even if I don't find any in a catalog, at least I'll know what to
ask for when I call places here. That's great.

Find a distributor that carries Standex duct fittings. The "Snappy"
(trade name), catalog is pretty much the standard around here. Here is
the catalog page with the duct connectors. Any good heating/plumbing
house should have them, or can order the size you need.

http://www.standexadp.com/catproduct...e=Flexible%20C
onnector

--
DT

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 09:45:03 -0500, DT
wrote:

mm wrote:

And so far I have found images but no residential quality for sale, I
guess because they're bulky to ship and can be fabricated locally?
But even if I don't find any in a catalog, at least I'll know what to
ask for when I call places here. That's great.

Find a distributor that carries Standex duct fittings. The "Snappy"
(trade name), catalog is pretty much the standard around here. Here is
the catalog page with the duct connectors. Any good heating/plumbing
house should have them, or can order the size you need.

/catproduct.php?style=41&stylename=Flexible%20Conne ctor

Oh, wow, yes. That's the picture and I'm pretty sure the dimensions
are in that list. Thanks a lot.

For the record, the dimensions are that of the duct it is mating with,
measured NOT at the very end, right? That is, without any cleats on
there now or anything else that might make the end bigger than the
middle?

Hey, they even have an "Upcoming event" in Baltimore, although it was
last September!

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 19:15:50 -0500, DT

[...]