Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default What is this called? It's not really flex duct

On Jan 19, 7:36*am, mm wrote:
On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 17:13:39 -0800, "Jon Danniken"

wrote:
mm wrote:
I was in an appliance parts store and they had several pieces of
heating duct in the corner, including a piece that I will need two of.
This place doesn't sell the stuff. It was just stored there.

It is like a very short rectangular HVAC interior duct, that clamps to
metal ducts at each end, and has 4 inches of heavy vinyl in between.

Like 15x20x4 inches.

Is there a name for what I saw?

It's meant to go between the furnace/AC and the rest of the house
metals ducts, partly so furnace vibration won't get transmitted to the
house. * Although it seems not every installer uses them.

The label on it said * flex duct * *but when I looked that up on the
web all I found were long truly flexible ducts with built-in
insulation that contractors now use sometimes to go from the main duct
to individual rooms.

Try flex duct connector or flexible duct connector or duct connector.

Jon

Hey, that's it. *Thanks. *Specifically duct connector. *I haven't
tried the other names yet.

Strangely, adding "rectangular" and going to the Shopping page mostly
ended up with round connectors surrounded by a rectangular piece of
sheet metal.

And so far I have found images but no residential quality for sale, I
guess because they're bulky to ship and can be fabricated locally?
But even if I don't find any in a catalog, at least I'll know what to
ask for when I call places here. *That's great.

Smitty, I did ask the only guy I saw, behind the counter, but he said,
"I don't know. They're not mine." *- Hide quoted text -

We call them "box shifters". The people in these stores that is.
They also sell computers.