A DIY & home improvement forum. DIYbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » DIYbanter forum » Do - it - Yourself » Home Repair
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Home Repair (alt.home.repair) For all homeowners and DIYers with many experienced tradesmen. Solve your toughest home fix-it problems.

What's the best way to refinish inside wooden doors?



 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 23rd 10, 07:31 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 18
Default What's the best way to refinish inside wooden doors?

I have 6 inside wood hollow flat (not paneled or paned) brown wood doors
taht are dirty and in need of a fresher look.

What's the proper way to freshen up these single-sheet plywood doors?

Do I hand sand or buy a belt sander? Seems that a belt sander will go right
through the door in seconds, so that is why I ask.

What's the best way to refinish single-sheet hollow wooden inside bedroom
doors?

Thanks,
Glenda
Ads
  #2  
Old January 23rd 10, 08:01 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 235
Default What's the best way to refinish inside wooden doors?

Glenda Copeland | 2010-01-23 | 12:31:01 PM wrote:

I have 6 inside wood hollow flat (not paneled or paned) brown wood doors
taht are dirty and in need of a fresher look.

What's the proper way to freshen up these single-sheet plywood doors?

Do I hand sand or buy a belt sander? Seems that a belt sander will go right
through the door in seconds, so that is why I ask.

What's the best way to refinish single-sheet hollow wooden inside bedroom
doors?


The veneer is very thin. Use a palm sander.

But, you might just need some freshening. Try various cleaning products first. Start with TSP (trisodum phosphate). I've had good luck with "refinishing" wipe-on products. Look for those at your local woodworking shop.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Arlington, TX USA
  #3  
Old January 23rd 10, 10:03 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,241
Default What's the best way to refinish inside wooden doors?

On Jan 23, 1:01*pm, "SteveBell" wrote:
Glenda Copeland | 2010-01-23 | 12:31:01 PM wrote:

I have 6 inside wood hollow flat (not paneled or paned) brown wood doors
taht are dirty and in need of a fresher look.


What's the proper way to freshen up these single-sheet plywood doors?


Do I hand sand or buy a belt sander? Seems that a belt sander will go right
through the door in seconds, so that is why I ask.


What's the best way to refinish single-sheet hollow wooden inside bedroom
doors?


The veneer is very thin. Use a palm sander.

But, you might just need some freshening. Try various cleaning products first. Start with TSP (trisodum phosphate). I've had good luck with "refinishing" wipe-on products. Look for those at your local woodworking shop.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Arlington, TX USA


There is " liquid refinisher" available at HD. Lowes, Ace Hardware,
etc. Definitely do not use any electrically operated sander unless
you are willing to buy new doors.
  #4  
Old January 23rd 10, 10:32 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,156
Default What's the best way to refinish inside wooden doors?

Glenda Copeland wrote:
I have 6 inside wood hollow flat (not paneled or paned) brown wood
doors taht are dirty and in need of a fresher look.

What's the proper way to freshen up these single-sheet plywood doors?

Do I hand sand or buy a belt sander? Seems that a belt sander will go
right through the door in seconds, so that is why I ask.


Don't use it, too agressive.

What's the best way to refinish single-sheet hollow wooden inside
bedroom doors?


Paint.


--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.
Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico



  #5  
Old January 23rd 10, 11:09 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,158
Default What's the best way to refinish inside wooden doors?

dadiOH wrote:
Glenda Copeland wrote:
I have 6 inside wood hollow flat (not paneled or paned) brown wood
doors taht are dirty and in need of a fresher look.

What's the proper way to freshen up these single-sheet plywood doors?

Do I hand sand or buy a belt sander? Seems that a belt sander will go
right through the door in seconds, so that is why I ask.


Don't use it, too agressive.

What's the best way to refinish single-sheet hollow wooden inside
bedroom doors?


Paint.


Hardly. All that does is make them look like old hollow-core doors. Best
cure is cleaning them with whatever will take off all the years of grime
and hand oil near the knobs (Murphy's and Formby's make products for
this), a light hand sanding (with the grain), and then a
wiped-on/wiped-off layer of a matching gel stain to disguise the nicks.
I've had excellent luck with the Minwax gel stains in the squeeze
bottles. A little bit goes a long way- all you are trying to do is
refresh the old finish a little. Don't kill yourself trying to do this
in place- take down one or two doors at a time, and do it on sawhorses
in the garage. If the door casings are stained rather than painted, you
will want to do the same thing to them.

Same technique works pretty good on tired 'real wood' kitchen cabinets,
too, at a fraction of the cost of even crappy new cabinets.

Hey, the above may work, may not. But all it takes is about 30 bucks in
supplies, a little time, and a little elbow grease. And if it doesn't
work, you are no worse off than when you started.
--
aem sends...
  #6  
Old January 24th 10, 02:44 AM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 13,905
Default What's the best way to refinish inside wooden doors?

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 17:09:30 -0500, aemeijers
wrote:

dadiOH wrote:
Glenda Copeland wrote:
I have 6 inside wood hollow flat (not paneled or paned) brown wood
doors taht are dirty and in need of a fresher look.

What's the proper way to freshen up these single-sheet plywood doors?

Do I hand sand or buy a belt sander? Seems that a belt sander will go
right through the door in seconds, so that is why I ask.


Don't use it, too agressive.

What's the best way to refinish single-sheet hollow wooden inside
bedroom doors?


Paint.


Hardly. All that does is make them look like old hollow-core doors. Best
cure is cleaning them with whatever will take off all the years of grime
and hand oil near the knobs (Murphy's and Formby's make products for
this), a light hand sanding (with the grain), and then a
wiped-on/wiped-off layer of a matching gel stain to disguise the nicks.
I've had excellent luck with the Minwax gel stains in the squeeze
bottles. A little bit goes a long way- all you are trying to do is
refresh the old finish a little. Don't kill yourself trying to do this
in place- take down one or two doors at a time, and do it on sawhorses
in the garage. If the door casings are stained rather than painted, you
will want to do the same thing to them.

Same technique works pretty good on tired 'real wood' kitchen cabinets,
too, at a fraction of the cost of even crappy new cabinets.

Hey, the above may work, may not. But all it takes is about 30 bucks in
supplies, a little time, and a little elbow grease. And if it doesn't
work, you are no worse off than when you started.


If elbow grease don't work, then face the door with veneer. If worthy
of the cost time and effort.

http://www.refacedepot.com/helpers/veneer-roll.jpg
  #7  
Old January 24th 10, 06:39 AM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 962
Default What's the best way to refinish inside wooden doors?

"Glenda Copeland" wrote in
message ...
I have 6 inside wood hollow flat (not paneled or paned) brown wood doors
taht are dirty and in need of a fresher look.

What's the proper way to freshen up these single-sheet plywood doors?

Do I hand sand or buy a belt sander? Seems that a belt sander will go
right
through the door in seconds, so that is why I ask.

What's the best way to refinish single-sheet hollow wooden inside bedroom
doors?

Thanks,
Glenda




You do know you can get new ones at Homedepot for 20 -30 bucks ??? Just
saying.....

  #8  
Old January 24th 10, 07:50 AM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 18
Default What's the best way to refinish inside wooden doors?

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 00:39:58 -0500, benick wrote:

You do know you can get new ones at Homedepot for 20 -30 bucks ??? Just
saying.....


It's 100 bucks and I'd need to drill holes and cutouts for hinges and
latches. Yuck.

I'll try the recommended fluids
1) trisodium phosphate http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trisodium_phosphate
2) Formby's ($50) http://www.formbys.com/products/
3) Murphy Oil Soap ($50)
(http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=3605020

It seems sanding by hand might be too much work and replacing them too
expensive, leaving only cleaning as an option.



  #9  
Old January 24th 10, 08:17 AM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,230
Default What's the best way to refinish inside wooden doors?

On Jan 23, 10:31*am, Glenda Copeland gscopel...@Use-Author-Supplied-
Address.invalid wrote:
I have 6 inside wood hollow flat (not paneled or paned) brown wood doors
taht are dirty and in need of a fresher look.

What's the proper way to freshen up these single-sheet plywood doors?

Do I hand sand or buy a belt sander? Seems that a belt sander will go right
through the door in seconds, so that is why I ask.

What's the best way to refinish single-sheet hollow wooden inside bedroom
doors?

Thanks,
Glenda


Sprucing up these doors is going to either be a fair amount of time /
work or some time & money.

My mom's house has medium color (lighter than a golden oak) hollow
core slab doors. Seven doors total.
Years ago we sanded and varnished them...they turned out pretty well
and have aged gracefully (fewer occupants in the home since the
rework).

But at this point they are quite dated as are the door casing & base
molding.

As others have suggested and I would agree, clean them first with TSP
or Murphy's Oil soap.

Do not use a hand belt sander. I would suggest a 1/3 sheet sanding
block
or if you want to risk it (& spend the $'s / save the time) consider
a commenrcial drum sander.
A typical drum sander would make short work of this task but verify
with the drum sander that he can do it without destroying the doors.

IMO the best way to update the house & "spruce up the
doors"....consider replacing with Masonite 6 panel prehung doors.
They are dirt cheap (& pretty flimsy) but they paint up great and look
decent.
In the process you can update the door casing and do the base now or
later.

cheers
Bob

  #10  
Old January 24th 10, 02:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,158
Default What's the best way to refinish inside wooden doors?

Glenda Copeland wrote:
On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 00:39:58 -0500, benick wrote:

You do know you can get new ones at Homedepot for 20 -30 bucks ??? Just
saying.....


It's 100 bucks and I'd need to drill holes and cutouts for hinges and
latches. Yuck.


????

Just checked HD's web site. Flush hollowcore veneer door slabs show at
20 bucks each in 2-8 width. Of course, that is the naked slab, so you
would have to prep and finish them.

--
aem sends,,,
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
We are manufacturer of wooden doors, and our main wooden doors are :Solid wood, PVC doors, Melamine doors, Laminated doors, Door skins, Mouldeddoors, linbonwoods Home Ownership 0 February 19th 09 09:45 AM
We are manufacturer of wooden doors, and our main wooden doors are :Solid wood, PVC doors, Melamine doors, Laminated doors, Door skins, Mouldeddoors, linbonwoods Home Repair 0 February 19th 09 09:41 AM
Making a pair of external wooden doors Osprey UK diy 11 December 5th 08 08:18 PM
Wooden garage doors - treatment? John UK diy 8 June 13th 08 09:21 AM
warped and v old wooden doors - suggestions? jd UK diy 4 May 20th 07 12:30 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2004-2014 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.