Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default What's the best way to refinish inside wooden doors?

On Jan 23, 10:31*am, Glenda Copeland gscopel...@Use-Author-Supplied-
Address.invalid wrote:
I have 6 inside wood hollow flat (not paneled or paned) brown wood doors
taht are dirty and in need of a fresher look.

What's the proper way to freshen up these single-sheet plywood doors?

Do I hand sand or buy a belt sander? Seems that a belt sander will go right
through the door in seconds, so that is why I ask.

What's the best way to refinish single-sheet hollow wooden inside bedroom
doors?

Thanks,
Glenda

Sprucing up these doors is going to either be a fair amount of time /
work or some time & money.

My mom's house has medium color (lighter than a golden oak) hollow
core slab doors. Seven doors total.
Years ago we sanded and varnished them...they turned out pretty well
and have aged gracefully (fewer occupants in the home since the
rework).

But at this point they are quite dated as are the door casing & base
molding.

As others have suggested and I would agree, clean them first with TSP
or Murphy's Oil soap.

Do not use a hand belt sander. I would suggest a 1/3 sheet sanding
block
or if you want to risk it (& spend the $'s / save the time) consider
a commenrcial drum sander.
A typical drum sander would make short work of this task but verify
with the drum sander that he can do it without destroying the doors.

IMO the best way to update the house & "spruce up the
doors"....consider replacing with Masonite 6 panel prehung doors.
They are dirt cheap (& pretty flimsy) but they paint up great and look
decent.
In the process you can update the door casing and do the base now or
later.

cheers
Bob