Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What's the best way to refinish inside wooden doors?

I have 6 inside wood hollow flat (not paneled or paned) brown wood doors
taht are dirty and in need of a fresher look.

What's the proper way to freshen up these single-sheet plywood doors?

Do I hand sand or buy a belt sander? Seems that a belt sander will go right
through the door in seconds, so that is why I ask.

What's the best way to refinish single-sheet hollow wooden inside bedroom
doors?

Thanks,
Glenda
Posted to alt.home.repair

Glenda Copeland | 2010-01-23 | 12:31:01 PM wrote:

I have 6 inside wood hollow flat (not paneled or paned) brown wood doors
taht are dirty and in need of a fresher look.

What's the proper way to freshen up these single-sheet plywood doors?

Do I hand sand or buy a belt sander? Seems that a belt sander will go right
through the door in seconds, so that is why I ask.

What's the best way to refinish single-sheet hollow wooden inside bedroom
doors?

The veneer is very thin. Use a palm sander.

But, you might just need some freshening. Try various cleaning products first. Start with TSP (trisodum phosphate). I've had good luck with "refinishing" wipe-on products. Look for those at your local woodworking shop.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 23, 1:01*pm, "SteveBell" wrote:
[...]

There is " liquid refinisher" available at HD. Lowes, Ace Hardware,
etc. Definitely do not use any electrically operated sander unless
you are willing to buy new doors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Glenda Copeland wrote:
I have 6 inside wood hollow flat (not paneled or paned) brown wood
doors taht are dirty and in need of a fresher look.

What's the proper way to freshen up these single-sheet plywood doors?

Do I hand sand or buy a belt sander? Seems that a belt sander will go
right through the door in seconds, so that is why I ask.

Don't use it, too agressive.

What's the best way to refinish single-sheet hollow wooden inside
bedroom doors?

Paint.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:
Glenda Copeland wrote:
I have 6 inside wood hollow flat (not paneled or paned) brown wood
doors taht are dirty and in need of a fresher look.

What's the proper way to freshen up these single-sheet plywood doors?

Do I hand sand or buy a belt sander? Seems that a belt sander will go
right through the door in seconds, so that is why I ask.

Don't use it, too agressive.

What's the best way to refinish single-sheet hollow wooden inside
bedroom doors?

Paint.

Hardly. All that does is make them look like old hollow-core doors. Best
cure is cleaning them with whatever will take off all the years of grime
and hand oil near the knobs (Murphy's and Formby's make products for
this), a light hand sanding (with the grain), and then a
wiped-on/wiped-off layer of a matching gel stain to disguise the nicks.
I've had excellent luck with the Minwax gel stains in the squeeze
bottles. A little bit goes a long way- all you are trying to do is
refresh the old finish a little. Don't kill yourself trying to do this
in place- take down one or two doors at a time, and do it on sawhorses
in the garage. If the door casings are stained rather than painted, you
will want to do the same thing to them.

Same technique works pretty good on tired 'real wood' kitchen cabinets,
too, at a fraction of the cost of even crappy new cabinets.

Hey, the above may work, may not. But all it takes is about 30 bucks in
supplies, a little time, and a little elbow grease. And if it doesn't
work, you are no worse off than when you started.
--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 17:09:30 -0500, aemeijers
wrote:

dadiOH wrote:
Glenda Copeland wrote:
[...]

If elbow grease don't work, then face the door with veneer. If worthy
of the cost time and effort.

http://www.refacedepot.com/helpers/veneer-roll.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Glenda Copeland" wrote in
message ...
I have 6 inside wood hollow flat (not paneled or paned) brown wood doors
taht are dirty and in need of a fresher look.

What's the proper way to freshen up these single-sheet plywood doors?

Do I hand sand or buy a belt sander? Seems that a belt sander will go
right
through the door in seconds, so that is why I ask.

What's the best way to refinish single-sheet hollow wooden inside bedroom
doors?

Thanks,
Glenda

You do know you can get new ones at Homedepot for 20 -30 bucks ??? Just
saying.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 00:39:58 -0500, benick wrote:

You do know you can get new ones at Homedepot for 20 -30 bucks ??? Just
saying.....

It's 100 bucks and I'd need to drill holes and cutouts for hinges and
latches. Yuck.

I'll try the recommended fluids
1) trisodium phosphate http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trisodium_phosphate
2) Formby's ($50) http://www.formbys.com/products/
3) Murphy Oil Soap ($50)
(http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=3605020

It seems sanding by hand might be too much work and replacing them too
expensive, leaving only cleaning as an option.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 23, 10:31*am, Glenda Copeland gscopel...@Use-Author-Supplied-
Address.invalid wrote:
I have 6 inside wood hollow flat (not paneled or paned) brown wood doors
taht are dirty and in need of a fresher look.

What's the proper way to freshen up these single-sheet plywood doors?

Do I hand sand or buy a belt sander? Seems that a belt sander will go right
through the door in seconds, so that is why I ask.

What's the best way to refinish single-sheet hollow wooden inside bedroom
doors?

Thanks,
Glenda

Sprucing up these doors is going to either be a fair amount of time /
work or some time & money.

My mom's house has medium color (lighter than a golden oak) hollow
core slab doors. Seven doors total.
Years ago we sanded and varnished them...they turned out pretty well
and have aged gracefully (fewer occupants in the home since the
rework).

But at this point they are quite dated as are the door casing & base
molding.

As others have suggested and I would agree, clean them first with TSP
or Murphy's Oil soap.

Do not use a hand belt sander. I would suggest a 1/3 sheet sanding
block
or if you want to risk it (& spend the $'s / save the time) consider
a commenrcial drum sander.
A typical drum sander would make short work of this task but verify
with the drum sander that he can do it without destroying the doors.

IMO the best way to update the house & "spruce up the
doors"....consider replacing with Masonite 6 panel prehung doors.
They are dirt cheap (& pretty flimsy) but they paint up great and look
decent.
In the process you can update the door casing and do the base now or
later.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Glenda Copeland wrote:
On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 00:39:58 -0500, benick wrote:

You do know you can get new ones at Homedepot for 20 -30 bucks ??? Just
saying.....

It's 100 bucks and I'd need to drill holes and cutouts for hinges and
latches. Yuck.

????

Just checked HD's web site. Flush hollowcore veneer door slabs show at
20 bucks each in 2-8 width. Of course, that is the naked slab, so you
would have to prep and finish them.

--
aem sends,,,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Glenda Copeland wrote:
I have 6 inside wood hollow flat (not paneled or paned) brown wood
doors taht are dirty and in need of a fresher look.

What's the proper way to freshen up these single-sheet plywood doors?

Do I hand sand or buy a belt sander? Seems that a belt sander will go
right through the door in seconds, so that is why I ask.

What's the best way to refinish single-sheet hollow wooden inside
bedroom doors?

I've got one door with a hole in it, apparently from being butted by a
unicorn.

I've been keeping my eye open for the right-sized stained glass
wall-hanging. My plan is to dick with the door and use this yet-to-be-found
wall-hanging as an insert.

Just another idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in
news
Glenda Copeland wrote:
I have 6 inside wood hollow flat (not paneled or paned) brown wood
doors taht are dirty and in need of a fresher look.

What's the proper way to freshen up these single-sheet plywood doors?

Do I hand sand or buy a belt sander? Seems that a belt sander will go
right through the door in seconds, so that is why I ask.

What's the best way to refinish single-sheet hollow wooden inside
bedroom doors?

I've got one door with a hole in it, apparently from being butted by a
unicorn.

I've been keeping my eye open for the right-sized stained glass
wall-hanging. My plan is to dick with the door and use this
yet-to-be-found wall-hanging as an insert.

Just another idea.

Door? Hole? Dick?

You need to move your reply to some other appropriate group.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Glenda Copeland" wrote in
message ...
On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 00:39:58 -0500, benick wrote:

You do know you can get new ones at Homedepot for 20 -30 bucks ??? Just
saying.....

It's 100 bucks and I'd need to drill holes and cutouts for hinges and
latches. Yuck.

I'll try the recommended fluids
1) trisodium phosphate http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trisodium_phosphate
2) Formby's ($50) http://www.formbys.com/products/
3) Murphy Oil Soap ($50)
(http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=3605020

It seems sanding by hand might be too much work and replacing them too
expensive, leaving only cleaning as an option.

No , you could just leave them as is...If a 100 bucks scares you and sanding
or drilling holes is to much work that's the way to go...Atleast till you
save some money or get some ambition or know how...Those type of doors are
VERY flimsy and one boo boo and you will be in trouble...I learned long ago
that you don't start a project that you can't afford to finish if something
goes wrong cuz something always seems to.......LOL...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 18:31:01 +0000 (UTC), Glenda Copeland
wrote:

I have 6 inside wood hollow flat (not paneled or paned) brown wood doors
taht are dirty and in need of a fresher look.

What's the proper way to freshen up these single-sheet plywood doors?

Do I hand sand or buy a belt sander? Seems that a belt sander will go right
through the door in seconds, so that is why I ask.

What's the best way to refinish single-sheet hollow wooden inside bedroom
doors?

Thanks,
Glenda

Belt sanders are very aggressive, these are not "finish" sanders. A
light hand sanding with 220 grit is best, that is, if that is all you
need. If you hand-sand use a block and be careful about the edges. I
can't see your doors but you may need more.

Remove doors and drive two nails into the bottom edge, one nail in the
middle of top edge. This strategy allow you to rest the door on two
saw horses so you can easily flip the door. Remove hardware, mask
hinges. Prime your doors, then apply 2-3 finish coats. Use an
enamel or glossy high-quality paint. Follow the paint manufacturer's
directions carefully. A low-nap roller might be better than a brush
for the faces. Make sure all six sides are finished to help prevent
warp. I prefer to allow painted doors to fully cure for several weeks
before installing them.