Home made attic elevator

Old January 7th 09, 11:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home made attic elevator

"olddog" wrote in message

"mm" wrote in message
On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 18:16:28 -0600, Michael Dobony
wrote:

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4248496/11422041

I need something like this for my office and storage on the 4th floor,
but
needs to handle more than 200 lbs.

Mike D.

Haven't seen the video but make it with pieces twice as thick.

OK, I saw the video. If 4 ropes are 200 pound test each, why is the
weight limit 200 pounds. Don't put all the weight on one corner.

It's the old "no chain is stronger than it's weakest link" theory. I
wouldn't want to test it. Just get some better rope.

I have seen some 1/4 inch Dacron rope listed as 900# berak strength. The 4
ropes should be good for over 1000# of lift. The weak point may then be at
another point.

Old January 8th 09, 02:26 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 7, 6:42*pm, "Ralph Mowery" wrote:

. *The weak point may then be at another point.

Yeah, like the pulley securings.
Old January 8th 09, 04:19 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 6, 7:16*pm, Michael Dobony wrote:
http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4248496/11422041

I need something like this for my office and storage on the 4th floor, but
needs to handle more than 200 lbs.

Mike D.

I had a friend who built a post an beam house on top of a full-story
block basement.

His living room fireplace was therefore on the "second floor". While
he was building the house, he framed out an area next to the fireplace
for an elevator to bring wood up from the "basement".

He welded a box together and added some guides to follow the framing,
using a steel cable and pulley system powered by a 115 AC winch.

For a finishing touch, he made a miniature 6 panel pine door to match
the other 6 panel pine doors used throughout the house.

It was real nice system.

Old January 9th 09, 08:01 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 01:50:00 GMT, aemeijers wrote:

RBM wrote:

Agreed. Most residential attics make lousy storage space anyway, ..

Not only that, but if he needs more than 200 lbs, he likely is going
to go over the load limit of the floor, if it is a floor.
Old January 9th 09, 08:54 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 6, 6:16*pm, Michael Dobony wrote:
http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4248496/11422041

I need something like this for my office and storage on the 4th floor, but
needs to handle more than 200 lbs.

Mike D.

I cant see the video right now. But I secured a block and tackle to
my garage ceiling so I could hoist my lawn mower, snowblower, and
other crap onto a loft platform I built overhead. I can hook a cargo
bag to the rope or hook the mower itself. I get on a ladder, hoist te
item to the ceiling, then push the item onto the loft shelf. Loft
shelf is itself suspended from the ceiling joists.

OT - Need Source for Long Elevator Bolts DerbyDad03 Woodworking 25 June 8th 08 09:45 PM
OT - Need Source for Long Elevator Bolts DerbyDad03 Home Repair 26 June 8th 08 09:45 PM
HOME MADE Hasipups Home Repair 0 September 19th 07 08:51 AM
stuck elevator?controller or motor bad? komodore comrade Electronics Repair 9 August 26th 06 06:54 PM
$100 Homebuilt Elevator Photos Uploaded - No hassle viewing Stu Metalworking 13 October 28th 03 05:54 AM