DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Home made attic elevator (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/268374-home-made-attic-elevator.html)

Michael Dobony January 7th 09 01:16 AM

Home made attic elevator

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4248496/11422041

I need something like this for my office and storage on the 4th floor, but
needs to handle more than 200 lbs.

Mike D.

RBM[_2_] January 7th 09 01:45 AM

Home made attic elevator

"Michael Dobony" wrote in message
.. .

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4248496/11422041

I need something like this for my office and storage on the 4th floor, but
needs to handle more than 200 lbs.

Mike D.

It's too much of a Rube for what it's capable of doing

HeyBub[_3_] January 7th 09 02:00 AM

Home made attic elevator

Michael Dobony wrote:
http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4248496/11422041

I need something like this for my office and storage on the 4th
floor, but needs to handle more than 200 lbs.

The weak link is the 200-pound test nylon rope. Replace that with 1/4" cable
and it should be good for 1,000 pounds. Harbor Freight even has a remote
control winch so you don't have to climb up the ladder first.

aemeijers January 7th 09 02:50 AM

Home made attic elevator

RBM wrote:
"Michael Dobony" wrote in message
.. .
http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4248496/11422041

I need something like this for my office and storage on the 4th floor, but
needs to handle more than 200 lbs.

Mike D.

It's too much of a Rube for what it's capable of doing

Agreed. Most residential attics make lousy storage space anyway, not
being humidity and temp controlled, and the floor often not being rated
for human weight. I also didn't notice any sealing to keep the lift hole
from becoming a chimney in a fire. In a commercial building, a setup
like that would make your insurance underwriter laugh like hell as he
ripped up your policy. If you need a dumbwaiter, buy a dumbwaiter. If
you have a tall attic that can take the weight, and your stuff doesn't
mind the hot and damp, sacrifice a closet or the dead space in the top
of the stairwell, and frame in a staircase, even if it is just 4 giant
steps. In some commercial buildings, a fire-rated floor hatch and a
block and tackle or chain fall, like in an old barn, would be a solution.

I've cleaned out a lot of attics in my time, helping people move, or
doing estate cleanouts. In most cases, the vast majority of the stuff up
there is crap not worth storing, or if it was good when it went up
there, was trashed by the summer heat and winter damp.

--
aem sends...

olddog January 7th 09 04:03 AM

Home made attic elevator

"Michael Dobony" wrote in message
.. .

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4248496/11422041

I need something like this for my office and storage on the 4th floor, but
needs to handle more than 200 lbs.

Mike D.

How much crap would you have to put in your attic to warrant the trouble to
make something like that? I have a artificial x-mas tree that I put up in
mine and take out once a year. Hardly worth the effort. Looks to me like
someone needs to build a shed.

Olddog

mm January 7th 09 05:22 AM

Home made attic elevator

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 18:16:28 -0600, Michael Dobony
wrote:

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4248496/11422041

I need something like this for my office and storage on the 4th floor, but
needs to handle more than 200 lbs.

Mike D.

Haven't seen the video but make it with pieces twice as thick.

OK, I saw the video. If 4 ropes are 200 pound test each, why is the
weight limit 200 pounds. Don't put all the weight on one corner.

olddog January 7th 09 05:30 AM

Home made attic elevator

wrote:

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4248496/11422041

I need something like this for my office and storage on the 4th floor, but
needs to handle more than 200 lbs.

Mike D.

Haven't seen the video but make it with pieces twice as thick.

OK, I saw the video. If 4 ropes are 200 pound test each, why is the
weight limit 200 pounds. Don't put all the weight on one corner.

It's the old "no chain is stronger than it's weakest link" theory. I
wouldn't want to test it. Just get some better rope.

Olddog

mm January 7th 09 06:21 AM

Home made attic elevator

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 04:30:06 GMT, "olddog" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4248496/11422041

I need something like this for my office and storage on the 4th floor, but
needs to handle more than 200 lbs.

Mike D.

Haven't seen the video but make it with pieces twice as thick.

OK, I saw the video. If 4 ropes are 200 pound test each, why is the
weight limit 200 pounds. Don't put all the weight on one corner.

It's the old "no chain is stronger than it's weakest link" theory. I

That applies when the links are all in one chain, all in a row, or in
this case all the weight is in one corner.

If one puts 200 pounds on a platform with 4 ropes at the corners, if
the center of gravity of the load is in the center of the platform,
the load on each rope is 50 pounds. The closer the center of gravity
is to one rope, the greater load on that rope, but unless all 200
pounds are at corner A, the load on rope A is less than 200 pounds.

wouldn't want to test it. Just get some better rope.

I agree.

Olddog

Too_Many_Tools January 7th 09 07:55 AM

Home made attic elevator

On Jan 6, 11:21*pm, mm wrote:
On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 04:30:06 GMT, "olddog" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

I agree. *

Olddog- Hide quoted text -

Ropes rot...get chains or cable.

TMT

Norminn January 7th 09 01:08 PM

Home made attic elevator

clipped

I've cleaned out a lot of attics in my time, helping people move, or
doing estate cleanouts. In most cases, the vast majority of the stuff
up there is crap not worth storing, or if it was good when it went up
there, was trashed by the summer heat and winter damp.

--
aem sends...

I would love to make a career of cleaning attics......my favorite
antiques came from a condemned house. I had to wear roach-proof
clothing, take in a shovel and rake to move the trash so's I could get
my treasures out. It was February, so the roaches were a bit slow. On
my final inspection, I thought I might have found an antique Teddy bear,
but it was a dead cat. Didn't pick it up :o) I doused my "new" pie
safe and walnut table with bleach once I got them outside. I would not
have asked my husband to partake, but my best gal pal was game for
almost anything. Country auctions were my favorite entertainment for me
and children......fine furniture, cheap food, room to run.

Paper doesn't do well in attics, but I have a trunk that has crossed the
ocean and spent 154 years in cellars and attics, none the worse for
wear :o)

Ralph Mowery January 8th 09 12:42 AM

Home made attic elevator

wrote:

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4248496/11422041

I need something like this for my office and storage on the 4th floor,
but
needs to handle more than 200 lbs.

Mike D.

Haven't seen the video but make it with pieces twice as thick.

OK, I saw the video. If 4 ropes are 200 pound test each, why is the
weight limit 200 pounds. Don't put all the weight on one corner.

It's the old "no chain is stronger than it's weakest link" theory. I
wouldn't want to test it. Just get some better rope.

I have seen some 1/4 inch Dacron rope listed as 900# berak strength. The 4
ropes should be good for over 1000# of lift. The weak point may then be at
another point.

Michael B January 8th 09 03:26 AM

Home made attic elevator

On Jan 7, 6:42*pm, "Ralph Mowery" wrote:

. *The weak point may then be at another point.

Yeah, like the pulley securings.

DerbyDad03 January 8th 09 05:19 AM

Home made attic elevator

On Jan 6, 7:16*pm, Michael Dobony wrote:
http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4248496/11422041

I need something like this for my office and storage on the 4th floor, but
needs to handle more than 200 lbs.

Mike D.

I had a friend who built a post an beam house on top of a full-story
block basement.

His living room fireplace was therefore on the "second floor". While
he was building the house, he framed out an area next to the fireplace
for an elevator to bring wood up from the "basement".

He welded a box together and added some guides to follow the framing,
using a steel cable and pulley system powered by a 115 AC winch.

For a finishing touch, he made a miniature 6 panel pine door to match
the other 6 panel pine doors used throughout the house.

It was real nice system.

[email protected] January 9th 09 09:01 PM

Home made attic elevator

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 01:50:00 GMT, aemeijers wrote:

RBM wrote:

Agreed. Most residential attics make lousy storage space anyway, ..

Not only that, but if he needs more than 200 lbs, he likely is going
to go over the load limit of the floor, if it is a floor.

RickH January 9th 09 09:54 PM

Home made attic elevator

On Jan 6, 6:16*pm, Michael Dobony wrote:
http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4248496/11422041

I need something like this for my office and storage on the 4th floor, but
needs to handle more than 200 lbs.

Mike D.

I cant see the video right now. But I secured a block and tackle to
my garage ceiling so I could hoist my lawn mower, snowblower, and
other crap onto a loft platform I built overhead. I can hook a cargo
bag to the rope or hook the mower itself. I get on a ladder, hoist te
item to the ceiling, then push the item onto the loft shelf. Loft
shelf is itself suspended from the ceiling joists.