Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default OT - Need Source for Long Elevator Bolts

I need a few elevators bolts in the 3 3/4" to 4" range. Every place
I've found on-line seems to carry a max length of 3". I've tried
McFeely's, Graingers, McMaster-Carr, and few other web sites.

A local Fastenal store says that can get them for me, but only in lots
of 50. At least that tells me that they exist.

Short of calling every company that lists a 3" bolt to see if they can
get longer ones, does any know of a source that I can go directly
to?

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

DerbyDad03 wrote:
I need a few elevators bolts in the 3 3/4" to 4" range. Every place
I've found on-line seems to carry a max length of 3". I've tried
McFeely's, Graingers, McMaster-Carr, and few other web sites.

A local Fastenal store says that can get them for me, but only in lots
of 50. At least that tells me that they exist.

Local Fastenal here says they'll get any quantity of anything (altho
I'll admit I've never tried for stuff that would likely be highly
unlikely they would sell the rest w/o too much trouble, I just picked up
a small lot order of square-head bolts...

What diameter you want? If no other fastener distributor local, no
other real ideas, sorry...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"hi this may sound strange but how about an elevator maintenance company?
surely they could spare few

Len

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:
I need a few elevators bolts in the 3 3/4" to 4" range. Every place
I've found on-line seems to carry a max length of 3". I've tried
McFeely's, Graingers, McMaster-Carr, and few other web sites.

Does it need to be an elevator bolt? Would a carriage bolt work
instead? They're available in more sizes.

Chris

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Jun 5, 11:14*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I need a few elevators bolts in the 3 3/4" to 4" range. Every place
I've found on-line seems to carry a max length of 3". *

I'm not sure what "elevators bolts' indicates, but if
you need a long bolt, usually a nut on a length of all-thread
will do it. When the head type matters, I've also used
splice nuts- couplings for threaded rod- with Loctite.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Jun 5, 5:41*pm, Chris Friesen wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
I need a few elevators bolts in the 3 3/4" to 4" range. Every place
I've found on-line seems to carry a max length of 3". * I've tried
McFeely's, Graingers, McMaster-Carr, and few other web sites.

Does it need to be an elevator bolt? *Would a carriage bolt work
instead? *They're available in more sizes.

Chris

Yes, it needs to be an elevator bolt. I need a flat head that can
drawn flush with the wood.

Thanks anyway.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Jun 5, 5:55*pm, whit3rd wrote:
On Jun 5, 11:14*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I need a few elevators bolts in the 3 3/4" to 4" range. Every place
I've found on-line seems to carry a max length of 3". *

I'm not sure what "elevators bolts' indicates, but if
you need a long bolt, usually a nut on a length of all-thread
will do it. *When the head type matters, I've also used
splice nuts- couplings for threaded rod- with Loctite.

I'm not sure what "elevators bolts' indicates

For your viewing pleasure...

http://www.aaronscapscrews.com/ElevatorBolts.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

DerbyDad03 wrote:
I need a few elevators bolts in the 3 3/4" to 4" range. Every place
I've found on-line seems to carry a max length of 3". I've tried
McFeely's, Graingers, McMaster-Carr, and few other web sites.

Does it need to be an elevator bolt? Would a carriage bolt work
instead? They're available in more sizes.

Chris

Yes, it needs to be an elevator bolt. I need a flat head that can
drawn flush with the wood.

Still don't know what diameter you're looking for -- plow bolts also
have flat head but may be larger diameter than you're looking for, I
don't know.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Jun 5, 7:31*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 5, 5:55*pm, whit3rd wrote:

On Jun 5, 11:14*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I need a few elevators bolts in the 3 3/4" to 4" range. Every place
I've found on-line seems to carry a max length of 3". *

I'm not sure what "elevators bolts' indicates, but if
you need a long bolt, usually a nut on a length of all-thread
will do it. *When the head type matters, I've also used
splice nuts- couplings for threaded rod- with Loctite.

I'm not sure what "elevators bolts' indicates

For your viewing pleasure...

http://www.aaronscapscrews.com/ElevatorBolts.htm

Thanks. Looks just like a 'plow bolt'. I had never heard the term
'elevator bolt' but was too lazy to google it.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 5, 5:55 pm, whit3rd wrote:
On Jun 5, 11:14 am, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I need a few elevators bolts in the 3 3/4" to 4" range. Every place
I've found on-line seems to carry a max length of 3".

I'm not sure what "elevators bolts' indicates, but if
you need a long bolt, usually a nut on a length of all-thread
will do it. When the head type matters, I've also used
splice nuts- couplings for threaded rod- with Loctite.

I'm not sure what "elevators bolts' indicates

For your viewing pleasure...

http://www.aaronscapscrews.com/ElevatorBolts.htm

You might be able to find some at:
http://www.aaronscapscrews.com/ElevatorBolts.htm

maybe.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"DerbyDad03" wrote:

I need a few elevators bolts in the 3 3/4" to 4" range. Every place
I've found on-line seems to carry a max length of 3".

Have access to an engine lathe?

If so, turn an elevator bolt into an elevator nut, then add a standard
bolt to complete.

Lew

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

--

Still don't know what diameter you're looking for

Sorry about that - they must be 5/16" - 18
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Jun 5, 11:40*pm, Woodie wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 5, 5:55 pm, whit3rd wrote:
On Jun 5, 11:14 am, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I need a few elevators bolts in the 3 3/4" to 4" range. Every place
I've found on-line seems to carry a max length of 3". *
I'm not sure what "elevators bolts' indicates, but if
you need a long bolt, usually a nut on a length of all-thread
will do it. *When the head type matters, I've also used
splice nuts- couplings for threaded rod- with Loctite.

I'm not sure what "elevators bolts' indicates

For your viewing pleasure...

http://www.aaronscapscrews.com/ElevatorBolts.htm

You might be able to find some at:
http://www.aaronscapscrews.com/ElevatorBolts.htm

maybe.- Hide quoted text -

That's the site I used to show a picture of an elevator bolt.

They list a 3" max like so many other sites. I guess I'll have to pick
up the phone and start calling around.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Jun 5, 5:55*pm, whit3rd wrote:

On Jun 5, 11:14*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I need a few elevators bolts in the 3 3/4" to 4" range. Every place
I've found on-line seems to carry a max length of 3". *

I'm not sure what "elevators bolts' indicates, but if
you need a long bolt, usually a nut on a length of all-thread
will do it. *When the head type matters, I've also used
splice nuts- couplings for threaded rod- with Loctite.

I'm not sure what "elevators bolts' indicates

For your viewing pleasure...

http://www.aaronscapscrews.com/ElevatorBolts.htm

Thanks. *Looks just like a 'plow bolt'. *I had never heard the term
'elevator bolt' but was too lazy to google it.

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

Looks just like a 'plow bolt'

Thanks, but unless I'm looking at the wrong type of plow bolt, they
are not the same.

Compare the heads of the bolts in this picture. I need the flat head
to be flush with the surface when drawn tight. It looks like the plow
bolt would produce a result similiar to a carriage bolt - a bump if
the head is not drawn flush and an indentation around the head if it
is.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=20hprmt&s=3

I may just go with the 50 piece order from Fastenal. I'm sure I'll
find a use for them once I have them. Cutting a long bolt down is
easier than stretching a short one. g

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Jun 5, 5:55*pm, whit3rd wrote:

[...]

easier than stretching a short one. g- Hide quoted text -

Different type of 'plow bolt' than I was familiar with. The ones I
knew bolted the plow share on. they had a flush, flat head just as
the elevator - had to be flush to keep the dirt from catching. Of
course I was wrong in that the 'plow bolt' did not have the square
under the head, they only had one 'tit' to keep them from turning.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
Thanks, but unless I'm looking at the wrong type of plow bolt, they
are not the same.

Compare the heads of the bolts in this picture. I need the flat head
to be flush with the surface when drawn tight. It looks like the plow
bolt would produce a result similiar to a carriage bolt - a bump if
the head is not drawn flush and an indentation around the head if it
is.

Can you not just file or grind down the head of a carriage bolt so it's
close to what you're looking for? You could do the essentially the same to a
regular headed bolt too. If you need the thick neck that carriage bolts have
to hold it place, then you could use a fully threaded bolt and just add a
nut screwed on all the way.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Jun 6, 9:39*am, "Upscale" wrote:
[...]

The project I need these bolts for has some very strict rules about
manufacturing your own parts or modifying readily available parts. My
options for this bolt are pretty limited - carriage or elevator, by
rule. Due to air-flow issues over the surface where the bolts will be
installed, the carriage bolts would be a distant second choice.

These bolts are for a Soap Box Derby car where races are won or lost
by thousandths of a second. Every opportunity to provide as smooth a
surface as possible must be taken advantage of.

"Let up for a second and that's where you'll finish."
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Harry K wrote:

Different type of 'plow bolt' than I was familiar with. The ones I
knew bolted the plow share on. they had a flush, flat head just as
the elevator - had to be flush to keep the dirt from catching. Of
course I was wrong in that the 'plow bolt' did not have the square
under the head, they only had one 'tit' to keep them from turning.

Right on...

Most plow bolts do have square corners -- essentially a flat-headed
carriage bolt. The one-sided version are a variation.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

DerbyDad03 wrote:

The project I need these bolts for has some very strict rules about
manufacturing your own parts or modifying readily available parts. My
options for this bolt are pretty limited - carriage or elevator, by
rule. Due to air-flow issues over the surface where the bolts will be
installed, the carriage bolts would be a distant second choice.

These bolts are for a Soap Box Derby car ...

I have hard time believing there's high enough speeds involved the drag
differential would show up...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Jun 6, 9:55*am, dpb wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

The project I need these bolts for has some very strict rules about
manufacturing your own parts or modifying readily available parts. My
options for this bolt are pretty limited - carriage or elevator, by
rule. Due to air-flow issues over the surface where the bolts will be
installed, the carriage bolts would be a distant second choice.

These bolts are for a Soap Box Derby car ...

I have hard time believing there's high enough speeds involved the drag
differential would show up...

--

Drag differential showing up.

Our timers measure the differential between the cars crossing the
finish line to the thousandth of the second. I have seen dead heats
where the timers read 0.000. Average speeds for most tracks are 24 -
28 MPH but races are determined by the time differential between the 2
cars in a heat, not by top speed. Races are run in a 2-phase lane-
swap, wheel-swap format to ensure that the only factors are car and
driver, not a faster lane or faster wheels. The total differential
between the 2 phases is what determines the winner of the heat.

While a single bolt head might not make a full 1/1000 of a difference,
2 bolt heads might. Or maybe 1 bolt head and an axle spindle out of
alignment. Every little bit matters, and it's the sum of all the
little things that you have to be concerned with. Trust me, if you
know what you are looking for, you can see the differences between a
well built car and one that was put together per the plans but without
the attention to detail required.

Let me give you another example: When the cars are inspected prior to
the World Championship races in Akron OH, you will either get a fancy
VIP sticker on the nose of your car (meaning your car was 100% legal)
or a repair sticker that tells you what is wrong and how long you have
to fix it. These repair stickers are your standard 1" x 3" mailing
labels. Years ago, after you repaired the car, they removed the repair
sticker while VIP stickers were left on as a "badge of honor".

One team took their VIP'd car to a wind tunnel and ran a test, at
average speeds, and proved that the VIP sticker caused air turbulance
at the front of the car. In essence, Akron was causing *harm* to the
cars that were sent to Akron ready to race. Based on that test, they
now leave the repair stickers on the cars also. Like I said, every
little bit matters.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 19:31:33 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Jun 5, 5:55*pm, whit3rd wrote:
On Jun 5, 11:14*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I need a few elevators bolts in the 3 3/4" to 4" range. Every place
I've found on-line seems to carry a max length of 3". *

I'm not sure what "elevators bolts' indicates, but if
you need a long bolt, usually a nut on a length of all-thread
will do it. *When the head type matters, I've also used
splice nuts- couplings for threaded rod- with Loctite.

I'm not sure what "elevators bolts' indicates

For your viewing pleasure...

http://www.aaronscapscrews.com/ElevatorBolts.htm

WOW.. I never Knew what they were called!

I had an old (1958) tent trailer with a plywood bottom that bolted to the frame
with those...
When I redid the ply, I couldn't find "flat topped carriage bolts" anywhere and
had to grind a dozen or so flat...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 5, 11:40 pm, Woodie wrote:
I'm not sure what "elevators bolts' indicates
For your viewing pleasure...
http://www.aaronscapscrews.com/ElevatorBolts.htm

You might be able to find some at:
http://www.aaronscapscrews.com/ElevatorBolts.htm

maybe.- Hide quoted text -

That's the site I used to show a picture of an elevator bolt.

They list a 3" max like so many other sites. I guess I'll have to pick
up the phone and start calling around.

I know... I was just yankin' your virtual chain.
Truth is I never heard of elevator bolts until this thread. But upon
seeing the link, I realize I have seen them before.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Jun 6, 2:10*pm, Woodie wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 5, 11:40 pm, Woodie wrote:
I'm not sure what "elevators bolts' indicates
For your viewing pleasure...
http://www.aaronscapscrews.com/ElevatorBolts.htm
You might be able to find some at:
http://www.aaronscapscrews.com/ElevatorBolts.htm

maybe.- Hide quoted text -

That's the site I used to show a picture of an elevator bolt.

They list a 3" max like so many other sites. I guess I'll have to pick
up the phone and start calling around.

I know... I was just yankin' your virtual chain.
Truth is I never heard of elevator bolts until this thread. But upon
seeing the link, I realize I have seen them before.- Hide quoted text -

Consider my chain virtually yanked. g
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Jun 7, 12:03*pm, Henry Q. Bibb
wrote:
In article 6b1951bf-b4c5-4355-8b76-cedcd19fea96
@e39g2000hsf.googlegroups.com, says...

I need a few elevators bolts in the 3 3/4" to 4" range. Every place
I've found on-line seems to carry a max length of 3". * I've tried
McFeely's, Graingers, McMaster-Carr, and few other web sites.

A local Fastenal store says that can get them for me, but only in lots
of 50. At least that tells me that they exist.

Short of calling every company that lists a 3" bolt to see if they can
get longer ones, does any know of a source that I can go directly
to?

Thanks!

Can you counterbore for the nut on the *other* end?

Henry Bibb

Can you counterbore for the nut on the *other* end?

No. Bolt needs to go through some steel plates with enough exposed
thread for a washer and nut.