Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Home made attic elevator

RBM wrote:
"Michael Dobony" wrote in message
.. .
http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4248496/11422041

I need something like this for my office and storage on the 4th floor, but
needs to handle more than 200 lbs.

Mike D.

It's too much of a Rube for what it's capable of doing

Agreed. Most residential attics make lousy storage space anyway, not
being humidity and temp controlled, and the floor often not being rated
for human weight. I also didn't notice any sealing to keep the lift hole
from becoming a chimney in a fire. In a commercial building, a setup
like that would make your insurance underwriter laugh like hell as he
ripped up your policy. If you need a dumbwaiter, buy a dumbwaiter. If
you have a tall attic that can take the weight, and your stuff doesn't
mind the hot and damp, sacrifice a closet or the dead space in the top
of the stairwell, and frame in a staircase, even if it is just 4 giant
steps. In some commercial buildings, a fire-rated floor hatch and a
block and tackle or chain fall, like in an old barn, would be a solution.

I've cleaned out a lot of attics in my time, helping people move, or
doing estate cleanouts. In most cases, the vast majority of the stuff up
there is crap not worth storing, or if it was good when it went up
there, was trashed by the summer heat and winter damp.

--
aem sends...