Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ideas needed to reduce noise

I have a pool pump outside of the house, sitting on a concrete block which
is on top of a concrete pad. During the day when the pump is on, I can hear
it in the room which is on the other side of the exterior wall.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/P1020227.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/P1020229.jpg

What is the best way to cut down of the noise?

If I cut two slices of styrofoam and put one on top and one on bottom of the
concrete block will it reduce the noise significantly?

Or do I need to take some drastic measure to build some sort of an enclosure
for the pump?

Thanks,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"MiamiCuse" wrote:

I have a pool pump outside of the house, sitting on a concrete block which
is on top of a concrete pad. During the day when the pump is on, I can hear
it in the room which is on the other side of the exterior wall.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/P1020227.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/P1020229.jpg

What is the best way to cut down of the noise?

If I cut two slices of styrofoam and put one on top and one on bottom of the
concrete block will it reduce the noise significantly?

Or do I need to take some drastic measure to build some sort of an enclosure
for the pump?

Thanks,

MC

You've got the right idea, but the wrong material. Use rubber, or buy
some genuine isolation pads:

http://www.soundproofing.org/infopag...rationpads.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 17, 9:45*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

*"MiamiCuse" wrote:
[...]

yup...the styrofoam is the wrong material. too stiff, too brittle &
not strong enough, won't do the job & won't last.

you need something with more compliance (flexibility)...like some sort
of rubber but not rubber tire ruber, Something like neoprene

or if you want to go nuts

http://www.fabreeka.com/
or:
http://www.rubber-group.com/isolationmounts.html
or
http://www.novibration.com/?gclid=CI...FQv7agodSFqjlA

here is a tech manual that gives you the basics on vibration control
(how to select & size mounts)
the basics a softer mounts transmit less vibration

http://www.novibes.com/catalog/2004/...0&%20Shock.pdf

but even if you isolate the motor / pump block from the concrete pad,
the pump piping will still transmit vibration to the pad (unless the
piping pass through the pad in an over sized hole. The piping
eventually transmits to the ground, then ground to house.

Does the pad touch the house foundation directly?
If so you could cut the pad back from the foundation & fill with
something like SIKA self leveling grout (air cure polyurethane?)

The concept on those vibration mounts is that they are too "soft" (ie
flexible) to transmit the relatively higher frequency of the motor
vib.

Just a swag here but your pump motor is either 1725 or 3450 RPM......
approx 29 Hz or 58 Hz.

As an example, a buddy of mine has an oil-less compressor that had
hard rubber chunks factory mounted to the tank feet. The compressor
would dance across he floor. Finally the rubber chunks come off &
then the bent sheet metal feet danced on the floor.

His solution was to put the compressor on the lawn & let it vibrate
into the grass. That worked ok for outside situations with a lawn.
Indoors the thing was real trouble. He had some old carpet pad.....I
cut three pieces & put the compressor on top of the three piece
stack.

The thing still vibrates but all the vibration occurs "above" the
carpet pad, no vibration is transmitted through the pad & thus
no more dancing.

Your situation is similar except the piping provides vibration paths.

my suggestion is try the simpler, lower cost strategies first

like (if possible) slip 1/2" neoprene sheet between block & pad.
Or cut up an old wet suit & use two layers.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
"MiamiCuse" wrote:

I have a pool pump outside of the house, sitting on a concrete block which
is on top of a concrete pad. During the day when the pump is on, I can hear
it in the room which is on the other side of the exterior wall.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/P1020227.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/P1020229.jpg

What is the best way to cut down of the noise?

If I cut two slices of styrofoam and put one on top and one on bottom of the
concrete block will it reduce the noise significantly?

Or do I need to take some drastic measure to build some sort of an enclosure
for the pump?

Thanks,

MC

You've got the right idea, but the wrong material. Use rubber, or buy
some genuine isolation pads:

http://www.soundproofing.org/infopag...rationpads.htm

The solution depends on what noise you're getting, vibration conducted
through the pad, or higher frequency noise transmitted through the air
to the wall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 7/18/2008 12:30 AM MiamiCuse said the following:
I have a pool pump outside of the house, sitting on a concrete block which
is on top of a concrete pad. During the day when the pump is on, I can hear
it in the room which is on the other side of the exterior wall.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/P1020227.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/P1020229.jpg

What is the best way to cut down of the noise?

If I cut two slices of styrofoam and put one on top and one on bottom of the
concrete block will it reduce the noise significantly?

Or do I need to take some drastic measure to build some sort of an enclosure
for the pump?

Thanks,

MC

My entire pool pump system is sitting on interlocking 12" x 12" x 1/2"
rubber vibration damping tiles over the concrete pad.
What is the reason for having the pump up on the block?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 17, 11:30 pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
I have a pool pump outside of the house, sitting on a concrete block which
is on top of a concrete pad. During the day when the pump is on, I can hear
it in the room which is on the other side of the exterior wall.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/P1020227.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/P1020229.jpg

What is the best way to cut down of the noise?

If I cut two slices of styrofoam and put one on top and one on bottom of the
concrete block will it reduce the noise significantly?

Or do I need to take some drastic measure to build some sort of an enclosure
for the pump?

Thanks,

MC

I would also put a cover over that pump unless it is rainproof.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 7/18/2008 10:51 AM Raleigh_3_Speed said the following:
On Jul 17, 11:30 pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:

I have a pool pump outside of the house, sitting on a concrete block which
is on top of a concrete pad. During the day when the pump is on, I can hear
it in the room which is on the other side of the exterior wall.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/P1020227.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/P1020229.jpg

What is the best way to cut down of the noise?

If I cut two slices of styrofoam and put one on top and one on bottom of the
concrete block will it reduce the noise significantly?

Or do I need to take some drastic measure to build some sort of an enclosure
for the pump?

Thanks,

MC

I would also put a cover over that pump unless it is rainproof.

Pool pumps are designed to sit out in the weather.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:
[...]

What if they get wet?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
willshak wrote:
[...]

Not a problem from what I understand. Mines outside like that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
news
I have a pool pump outside of the house, sitting on a concrete block which
is on top of a concrete pad. During the day when the pump is on, I can
hear it in the room which is on the other side of the exterior wall.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/P1020227.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/P1020229.jpg

What is the best way to cut down of the noise?

If I cut two slices of styrofoam and put one on top and one on bottom of
the concrete block will it reduce the noise significantly?

Or do I need to take some drastic measure to build some sort of an
enclosure for the pump?

Thanks,

MC

Could you just change the timer on the filter to the time of day you are not
in the room?

My next question is. Is there a window near by? If there is, 90% of the
noise is coming in there.

Pool pumps are usually not that loud. Unless you are just very noise
adverse. See if you can find one that is less noisy.

The enclosure idea would, most likely, cause the motor to overheat if it is
exposed to the sun at all or if it is too small. Some pumps come with covers
but I was told not to use them because of the heat they create.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 00:30:37 -0400, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

I have a pool pump outside of the house, sitting on a concrete block which
is on top of a concrete pad. During the day when the pump is on, I can hear
it in the room which is on the other side of the exterior wall.

You should start touching it and find out what part is making the
noise. I'll bet it's the pump on top of the cinder block. Put the
neoprene between the two.