Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default reduce power shower noise

Hi
there are 2 aqualisa power showers in the house we moved into. The motor
units are in the loft mounted on hardboard screwed across the rafters. This
obviously generates quite a bit of noise in the mornings when either shower
is used. Whats the best way to rdeuce the noise from these units?
Thanks
Roger.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger wrote:
Hi
there are 2 aqualisa power showers in the house we moved into. The motor
units are in the loft mounted on hardboard screwed across the rafters.
This obviously generates quite a bit of noise in the mornings when
either shower is used. Whats the best way to rdeuce the noise from these
units?
Thanks

The noise is coming through the ceiling because the pumps are directly
connected to the rafters. You need to find a way of mounting them with
very springy rubber mounts. Sorry, I don't know of any :-(
Perhaps others do.

Perhaps you could mount them on wires from the roof, or on springs on
the joists.

You will also have to fit flexible pipes to the input and output as
well. Otherwise they will fracture over time. It must be doable.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 21:28:40 +0100, "Roger"
wrote:

there are 2 aqualisa power showers in the house we moved into. The motor
units are in the loft mounted on hardboard screwed across the rafters. This
obviously generates quite a bit of noise in the mornings when either shower
is used. Whats the best way to rdeuce the noise from these units?

Find a piece of Rubberised Horsehair about 1" thick and lay it
between the mounting board and rafters. Don't screw from the board
to the rafters but let the board and pumps float on top.

http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/c-312-horsehair.aspx

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

there are 2 aqualisa power showers in the house we moved into. The motor
units are in the loft mounted on hardboard screwed across the rafters.
This
obviously generates quite a bit of noise in the mornings when either
shower
is used. Whats the best way to rdeuce the noise from these units?

Find a piece of Rubberised Horsehair about 1" thick and lay it
between the mounting board and rafters. Don't screw from the board
to the rafters but let the board and pumps float on top.

http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/c-312-horsehair.aspx

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

excellent thanks - I'll give that a go

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
Roger wrote:
Hi
there are 2 aqualisa power showers in the house we moved into. The motor
units are in the loft mounted on hardboard screwed across the rafters.
This obviously generates quite a bit of noise in the mornings when either
shower is used. Whats the best way to rdeuce the noise from these units?
Thanks

The noise is coming through the ceiling because the pumps are directly
connected to the rafters. You need to find a way of mounting them with
very springy rubber mounts. Sorry, I don't know of any :-(
Perhaps others do.

Perhaps you could mount them on wires from the roof, or on springs on the
joists.

You will also have to fit flexible pipes to the input and output as well.
Otherwise they will fracture over time. It must be doable.

Its not just the pump noise, being loft mounted they also accumulate air and
make more even noise, air release valves can help. In my last house despite
trying all types of rubber bumpers etc in the loft to dampen the pump noise
(best actually was a paving slab) eventually moved to floor of airing
cupboard. Placed on a cut to shape paving slab, padded wall with carpet and
pump was very quite.

My mate had same noise issue, except pump in airing cupboard, to moved pump
next door into a fitted cupboard in a polystyrene lined wooden box, with
vent holes and that made a huge difference.

My current shower pump is on the floor of the airing cupboard on a bolted
together pile of carpet, with carpet glued to the wall. That was 7 years
ago....