www.wivamacusa.com

Default Inexpensive way to reduce vibration noise

Hi all,

I was moving my 1967 Delta/Rockwell lathe the other day to the other
side of the shop and found the concrete there was less level than where
I had been turning. The lathe has served me well for the last couple of
years but when I turned it on, it was making a real racket. For those
who don't know the type - this lathe has a factory sheet metal stand
with a "box" under the headstock. What was making the noise was some
vibration due to the lathe not being stable on the floor.

I thought about adding some casters or vibration pads and went online
to the usual industrial suppliers. I was disappointed to see so many
choices with prices higher than I could justify. So, when walking
through Target with my wife, I had a brainstorm - flip flops. Flip
Flops are sometimes called beach sandals.

Yep, I bought the biggest man sized flip flops they had (size 13) in
bright yellow and took them home. I cut off the part that goes through
the toes and across the foot. I cut them in half and stuck them under
each of the 6 feet on the lathe. Quiet as before.

So, instead of paying $12 / pad I ended up paying $2 for 2 pair. Great
deal.

- By the way, the reason I needed to move my Delta/Rockwell was I
needed to make room for my newest wivamac lathe from Belgium. If you
are interested in the Delta or a new wivamac - go to my website:
www.wivamacusa.com

See you in Kansas at the AAW meeting,

Lee