Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gutter advise

I don't expect to get any new answers for my problem, but you never know, so
here I go.

I have a small section of roof that I need to put a gutter on. The
roof is a gable over the front porch. The edge where the gutter would
go is only about 4 feet long, so that isn't a problem. The problem
is the down spout. The edge of the roof is over the middle of the
living room window. If I put a regular down spout on it it will come
down in the middle of the window. I can put some elbows on and move
it back to the side of the window, but the first elbow will be directly
in front of the window. This is not what I consider a desirable situation.
Does any body have any suggestions?

Thanks a lot
Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 15:18:15 -0500, BillGill
wrote:

I don't expect to get any new answers for my problem, but you never know, so
here I go.

Don't be defeatists, yet.

I have a small section of roof that I need to put a gutter on. The
roof is a gable over the front porch. The edge where the gutter would
go is only about 4 feet long, so that isn't a problem. The problem
is the down spout. The edge of the roof is over the middle of the
living room window. If I put a regular down spout on it it will come
down in the middle of the window. I can put some elbows on and move
it back to the side of the window, but the first elbow will be directly
in front of the window. This is not what I consider a desirable situation.
Does any body have any suggestions?

Thanks a lot
Bill

Search "rainchain" (pic)

http://www.pacificgutter.com/sitebui...n-750x1113.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 13:30:44 -0700, Oren wrote:

Search "rainchain" (pic)

Better photo...
http://www.pacificgutter.com/Monthouse.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 12, 4:18*pm, BillGill wrote:
I don't expect to get any new answers for my problem, but you never know, so
here I go.

I have a small section of roof that I need to put a gutter on. *The
roof is a gable over the front porch. *The edge where the gutter would
go is only about 4 feet long, so that isn't a problem. *The problem
is the down spout. *The edge of the roof is over the middle of the
living room window. *If I put a regular down spout on it it will come
down in the middle of the window. *I can put some elbows on and move
it back to the side of the window, but the first elbow will be directly
in front of the window. *This is not what I consider a desirable situation.
Does any body have any suggestions?

Thanks a lot
Bill

Can down spout / leader be placed in the middle of the gutter or at
the other end?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thanks, that may be just what I need. When I first saw rainchain I thought of
people who have used a plain chain instead of a down spout. But when I
looked at the picture I saw it is a completely different kettle of fish.
The biggest problem I see is that it is rather expensive. But then it seems
to be a fairly simple thing, I might be able to rig up something for myself.
It will just take a little thought and planning.

And I don't need to put it up immediately, I have just started scraping the
front of the house to paint it. And after that I will paint the trim, then
I can think about the gutter.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

BillGill wrote:
Bill

Search "rainchain" (pic)

http://www.pacificgutter.com/sitebui...n-750x1113.jpg

Thanks, that may be just what I need. When I first saw rainchain I
thought of people who have used a plain chain instead of a down
spout. But when I looked at the picture I saw it is a completely
different kettle of fish. The biggest problem I see is that it is rather
expensive. But then
it seems to be a fairly simple thing, I might be able to rig up
something for myself. It will just take a little thought and planning.

And I don't need to put it up immediately, I have just started
scraping the front of the house to paint it. And after that I will
paint the trim, then I can think about the gutter.

It doesn't have to be a rain-chain. Use the concept to devise your own
waterfall. Combine it with a wind-chime, waterwheels, little gnomes riding
slides down Thunder River, Mississippi Steamboats struggling against the
upstream currents, U.S. gunboats showing the flag on the mighty Yangtze
River, Gandhi and his followers performing ablutions in the Ganges, beavers
building dams, Niagra Falls, ride the rapids. God, a whole diorama awaits
you!

You could go nuts like those fools who erect dozens of elves and reindeer
and thousands of lights for the holiday season. It's a hobby that could keep
you occupied for years and you'd be the talk of the neighborhood.

Follow the rule: If you can't hide it, make it the centerpiece!

Posted to alt.home.repair

There are people who don't have gutters on certain structures for
historical or asthetic
reasons, but what they'll often do is relocate their gutters to the
ground in a sense by digging out a V-shaped trench around their
structure which is bottom-lined with impermiable plastic and then
filled with perforated drainage line surrounded by gravel, topped off
with geotextile fabric (to keep dirt out) and another layer of gravel.
The drainage line takes the water far away from the foundation.

The pipe leading away can (and should) be solid, not perforated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote:
There are people who don't have gutters on certain structures for
historical or asthetic
reasons, but what they'll often do is relocate their gutters to the
ground in a sense by digging out a V-shaped trench around their
structure which is bottom-lined with impermiable plastic and then
filled with perforated drainage line surrounded by gravel, topped off
with geotextile fabric (to keep dirt out) and another layer of gravel.
The drainage line takes the water far away from the foundation.

The pipe leading away can (and should) be solid, not perforated.

The reason I need a down spout or something is that the water is dumping
down the front of the house and not doing the wood any good. It hasn't
gotten extremely bad yet, but I think I need to do something to protect
it.

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

I had a small gutter, about 1 foot long that didn't make sense to put a
spout on so I cut a 1 inch hole in the end, inserted a short length of PVC
pipe, slopped down and out from the house, and the water simply shot out
away from the house like a spigot. It ended up making a hole in the ground
were it dropped, so I put a decorative pot filled with gravel at that spot
in the garden and it works great.

dog leg gutter stuart noble UK diy 2 June 2nd 08 04:40 PM
Gutter covers - yes or no? Liz Home Repair 20 December 30th 05 04:54 PM
gutter cap [email protected] Home Ownership 0 June 30th 05 04:33 AM
Gutter screen barry martin Home Repair 2 August 28th 04 02:24 PM