Posted to alt.home.repair
BillGill BillGill is offline

Default Gutter advise

mike wrote:
There are people who don't have gutters on certain structures for
historical or asthetic
reasons, but what they'll often do is relocate their gutters to the
ground in a sense by digging out a V-shaped trench around their
structure which is bottom-lined with impermiable plastic and then
filled with perforated drainage line surrounded by gravel, topped off
with geotextile fabric (to keep dirt out) and another layer of gravel.
The drainage line takes the water far away from the foundation.

The pipe leading away can (and should) be solid, not perforated.

The reason I need a down spout or something is that the water is dumping
down the front of the house and not doing the wood any good. It hasn't
gotten extremely bad yet, but I think I need to do something to protect
it.

Bill