barry martin

Default Gutter screen

Puddin':

PM I gotta little brick bungalow with standard-looking
PM seamless aluminum (I think 5") gutters. Have needed
PM gutter protection for years.
PM
PM How is the vinyl gutter screen? I'm looking at
PM Frost King (vinyl) snap-in gutter screen, 6 3/8 "
PM wide, 3' long for $1.29 a piece. Is this stuff a
PM good bet?

As others indicated, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.
Around here they don't. Used a brand "recommended" by the roofing guy
-- in fact he installed as a side job/after-the-fact. Don't know the
brand but were a whitish/very light grey perforated vinyl panel about
3' long by 6" wide.

Maple seeds (the 'helicopters') got stuck in the holes and eventually
fell through. The gutter on the side of the house without any trees
nearby was clogged in two places last spring, middle and near the
downspout. The roof line is some 20' in the air. Other gutter
sections with trees nearby were similarly clogged. Since removing the
gutter guards we have not had stoppages.

-
¯ barry.martinþATþthesafebbs.zeppole.com ®

* He does not act like a total butt; he develops Rectal-Cranial Inversion.
---
þ RoseReader 2.52á P003186
þ The Safe BBS þ Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
---
þ RIMEGate(tm)/RGXMod V1.13 at BBSWORLD *
barry martin

Terry:

T What is group's opinion on NOT HAVING gutters at all?
T Advantages?
T Problems?
T Initial cost saving?
T No gutter maintenance or cleaning?
T Less/more likelihood of damp or rot in roof eaves?
T Just curious, cos we don't have any!

Here we definately have the occasional water-in-the-basement problem
so we want to get roof water away from the house. Except for that
little problem we'd probably go gutterless; probably have to have some
sort of splash reduction method at the drip line.

(The basement water problem is due more to the water table rising than
a landcaping issue.)

-
¯ barry.martinþATþthesafebbs.zeppole.com ®

* Air Force should hold bake sales to get money, not school
---
þ RoseReader 2.52á P003186
þ The Safe BBS þ Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
---
þ RIMEGate(tm)/RGXMod V1.13 at BBSWORLD *
barry martin

PM But water pressure might. Wonder if I could devise
PM an attachment to a garden hose (I don't gotta compressor
PM anyway). Would still be messy, but ... food for thought.

Possibly using the upside-down-J-shaped piece for an add-on shower
head? (When the shower head is not installed inside the wall it is
possible to connect a pipe to a diverter with an external outlet. The
one we have is for an old-fashioned tub; used brass adapters even
though the pipe is chrome. The adapters didn't come in chrome.)

-
¯ barry.martinþATþthesafebbs.zeppole.com ®

* Filthy stinking rich --- two out of three ain't bad!
---