Posted to alt.home.repair

Default propane tank date

Where is the expirary date on a 20lb propane tank?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
Where is the expirary date on a 20lb propane tank?

I'm 99% sure 12 years. You can have them re-certified, but it probably cost
more than a new tank.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Where is the expirary date on a 20lb propane tank?

....You can have them re-certified, but it probably cost
more than a new tank.

Just exchange it at WalMart when it expires. I even trade in my old
non-OPD tanks for the Blue Rhino tanks at WalMart. No extra charge.

Rob
Posted to alt.home.repair

I suspect they "should" charge you for the old tank. But the
clerks don't know any better. I know a guy who got one at WalFart
for 16.95 without an exchange. Lucky fellow.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"trainfan1" wrote in message
et...
: Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
: wrote in message
: ups.com...
: Where is the expirary date on a 20lb propane tank?
:
: ...You can have them re-certified, but it probably cost
: more than a new tank.
:
:
:
: Just exchange it at WalMart when it expires. I even trade in
my old
: non-OPD tanks for the Blue Rhino tanks at WalMart. No extra
charge.
:
: Rob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"trainfan1" wrote

Just exchange it at WalMart when it expires. I even trade in my old
non-OPD tanks for the Blue Rhino tanks at WalMart. No extra charge.

Rob

When they were phasing out the old tanks, around here, you could take in an
old tank that was out of hydro, and no questions asked, they would give you
a refilled tank with the OPD. I think it was just good business on their
part. I traded in about four old tanks that way. Just walked in, shut up,
paid at the counter, and walked out with the new tanks.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 7/28/2007 8:25 PM SteveB said the following:
"trainfan1" wrote

Just exchange it at WalMart when it expires. I even trade in my old
non-OPD tanks for the Blue Rhino tanks at WalMart. No extra charge.

Rob

When they were phasing out the old tanks, around here, you could take in an
old tank that was out of hydro, and no questions asked, they would give you
a refilled tank with the OPD. I think it was just good business on their
part. I traded in about four old tanks that way. Just walked in, shut up,
paid at the counter, and walked out with the new tanks.

Steve

I don't know about the rest of the world, or the US, but here in the NE
US, there is a company called Rhino, that has cylinder exchanges at
almost every supermarket, chain store, beer store, or convenience store,
that takes old tanks and exchanges it for a full tank.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message
[...]

That's the one. I don't know if the clerk knew or didn't care. I sure
didn't care, as I thought I was going to have to buy four new tanks. As I
said, I think they just did it for good business, but after a time, I'm sure
they wouldn't take any more. By then, I had all mine changed out.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I suspect they "should" charge you for the old tank. But the
clerks don't know any better. I know a guy who got one at WalFart
for 16.95 without an exchange. Lucky fellow.

most places around here had a $10 fee to exchange a non-OPD
tanks. after getting stuck a few times, they made tank
exchanges $18 rather than $12 ;-)

-larry / dallas
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 18:50:06 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

"willshak" wrote in message
[...]

I suspect when these new tanks/valves are old and new technology comes
out they will also accept these current tanks.

At (Eastern and Serene ?) HD these tanks are in cages with ATM access
24/7; leaving out the clerk. Not sure how if works or even if the ATM
knows I placed and empty tank in the cage. :-/

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in message

When they were phasing out the old tanks, around here, you could take in
an old tank that was out of hydro, and no questions asked, they would give
you a refilled tank with the OPD. I think it was just good business on
their part. I traded in about four old tanks that way. Just walked in,
shut up, paid at the counter, and walked out with the new tanks.

Steve

Good deal if you don't mind being locked in to Blue Rhino. They are $5 to
$10 more per fill up around here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"SteveB" wrote in message

When they were phasing out the old tanks, around here, you could take in
an old tank that was out of hydro, and no questions asked, they would give
you a refilled tank with the OPD. I think it was just good business on
their part. I traded in about four old tanks that way. Just walked in,
shut up, paid at the counter, and walked out with the new tanks.

Steve

Good deal if you don't mind being locked in to Blue Rhino. They are $5 to
$10 more per fill up around here.

You aren't locked into anything, you still own the tank and can fill of
exchange it anywhere. Mostly you're paying for the eventual recert or
hydro cost in installments and never actually have to deal with it. In
the case of cylinder exchange for welding gasses you also have the
advantage of an "instant fill" vs. waiting a day or two to have a
specific tank refilled.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote

I suspect when these new tanks/valves are old and new technology comes
out they will also accept these current tanks.

At (Eastern and Serene ?) HD these tanks are in cages with ATM access
24/7; leaving out the clerk. Not sure how if works or even if the ATM
knows I placed and empty tank in the cage. :-/

--
Oren

I was trading them for a while. Then we started using more at the rentals.
I went out one day and couldn't find a station that sold propane that had an
attendant who knew how to pump it. I went to three places. Then I went to
the U Haul at Russell and Stephanie, or right there by the 95 freeway, and
it was about a buck and a quarter a gallon cheaper than any of the other
stations. I'll keep going to that U Haul here in Las Vegas.

Utah is cheaper than that.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in message

You aren't locked into anything, you still own the tank and can fill of
exchange it anywhere. Mostly you're paying for the eventual recert or
hydro cost in installments and never actually have to deal with it. In
the case of cylinder exchange for welding gasses you also have the
advantage of an "instant fill" vs. waiting a day or two to have a
specific tank refilled.

Pete C.

I was told that other dealers cant/won't fill Blue Rhino tanks. Something
about the fill valve being different. Never had one, never tried, so I
don't know for certain.

As for paying the hydro, at a premium of $5 a tanks, and I fill up maybe 10
to 15 times a year, I can buy two new tanks every year. That is a premium
of $600 over the 12 year life of a tank. Better that money be in my pocket
than subsidizing the guys always trading in their out of date and non-OPD
tanks.

Never had to wait a day or two to have a tank filled either. There are a
dozen places around here that will do in on the spot. Even in the winter
they do it while I wait.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message

You aren't locked into anything, you still own the tank and can fill of
exchange it anywhere. Mostly you're paying for the eventual recert or
hydro cost in installments and never actually have to deal with it. In
the case of cylinder exchange for welding gasses you also have the
advantage of an "instant fill" vs. waiting a day or two to have a
specific tank refilled.

Pete C.

I was told that other dealers cant/won't fill Blue Rhino tanks. Something
about the fill valve being different. Never had one, never tried, so I
don't know for certain.

They have some tanks that has a tamper resistant valve of some sort, but
you can specify the regular type when you exchange them. The info is
printed on their label.

As for paying the hydro, at a premium of $5 a tanks, and I fill up maybe 10
to 15 times a year, I can buy two new tanks every year. That is a premium
of $600 over the 12 year life of a tank. Better that money be in my pocket
than subsidizing the guys always trading in their out of date and non-OPD
tanks.

I fill up about 1.5 times a year so a few extra dollars are of little
consequence.

Never had to wait a day or two to have a tank filled either. There are a
dozen places around here that will do in on the spot. Even in the winter
they do it while I wait.

I specified welding gas tank exchange. Yes, you can get a propane tank
filled in 5 minutes, but for a high pressure argon, oxygen, acetylene,
CO2, etc. if you want your specific tank filled in most cases you have
to wait several days while it is shipped from your local welding supply
place to the areas central fill facility and then shipped back for you
to pickup. With exchange you bring in your empty cylinder and walk out
with a full one in a few minutes.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 7/28/2007 11:38 PM Pete C. said the following:
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"SteveB" wrote in message

[...]

Besides, the Blue Rhino tanks can be exchanged on the weekend (esp.
Sunday) when propane distributors may be closed, and you won't have to
buy new tanks when yours expire, fail, or get damaged.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY